Author Topic: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 3  (Read 33541 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
3.6.9 Release Candidate 3
Per usual... check for old bugs that have been fixed, check for old bugs that have NOT been fixed, check for new bugs.  And report any of those.  The Windows build includes both speech and voice recognition, though I don't know if either works.  Please let us know if one or the other isn't working.

Builds for:
Windows
Linux (x86 | x86_64)
OS X

Source tarball.

And remember to get the alpha patches for the MediaVPs, if you don't have them already:
 - to fix mv_effects.vp:  mv_alphapatch.rar
 - to fix mv_adveffects.vp:  mv_advalphapatch.rar

NOTES:
  • The linux binaries are completely untested.  If you have problems please report them so that I can work everything out for the official release (and all future releases).
  • The OS X build is the same RC3 release from Sunday/Monday so if you already have it then you can safely ignore this one.

Re: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 3
Is there a changelog somewhere?

Offline neoterran

Windows Voice Recognition : Failed to load resource, failed to init.

I have the SAPI SDK installed before anyone asks.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Is there a changelog somewhere?
Nope, but here is a basic rundown of CVS commits since RC2:
 - "Y" targetting bug fixed
 - fix for warpout if player is docked to something
 - FBO fixes to allow better use in scripts
 - fix error handling in ds_get_free_channel() for OpenAL
 - fix super-functional counter-measures (fixes repeating evade sound and incompatible network packet and restores game balance)
 - make sure to use mission specified envmap (if one exists) over a static generated one
 - add -disable_fbo cmdline option to help troubleshoot ATI render errors with -env (allow -env to work with default cubemap or mission specified envmap only)
 - fix -img2dds related Assert()/crash on really small images that tried to rescale
 - fix green outline on PCX images compressed with -img2dds or when using -pcx32
 - disable depth render buffer that some ATI cards seem to have trouble with
 - disable automatic mipmaps for generated envmaps since the chain gets broken (it produces some black images for unknown reasons)
 - plus various debug related and big endian fixes

Windows Voice Recognition : Failed to load resource, failed to init.
Yep, I think it's just broken in the code.  Assume it won't ever be back unless RandomTiger returns to fix it.

Offline wolf

- disable automatic mipmaps for generated envmaps since the chain gets broken (it produces some black images for unknown reasons)
ATI hardware can't do mipmaps for render-to textures IIRC, nvidia should be fine, though.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
ATI hardware can't do mipmaps for render-to textures IIRC, nvidia should be fine, though.
Not actually automatic in either case, it's done manually with a new function.  It's a basic part of the FBO extension so I'm sure ATI supports at least that, especially since it's working for some of their hardware for sure.  If the manual mipmap function isn't available and working then the game won't even use FBOs at all.

And I'm getting the black images on NVIDIA hardware, and only for some of the cubmap faces.  Sometimes it works fine.  But I don't want to deal with that for 3.6.9, it's easier to just disable it for now and work out the problems in the unstable CVS branch.

Offline neoterran

wow, a year of CVS purgatory and all of a sudden a big push for a 3.6.9 stable and new 3.6.9 media vp set. what's up with that ?
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The last two releases (especially 3.6.7) had some bad issues that were only fixed in later CVS builds, so it's time to actually get something usable out to the masses.  This is also the first release that has really good Linux and OS X support too.  Plus, a lot of the holdups for new code have been because that code would probably break stuff and we are already maxed out for fixing bugs.  We've got all of it basically stabilized now so it's in a better condition to add new things to.

We'll just bug fix the stable branch (which is 3.6.9 at the moment) and if you use a normal CVS build then you just have deal with what you get.  Now that we have a stable and unstable branch there is nothing stopping all of the new, unstable, crashing, memory leaking, bug ridden code that you all seem to like so much.  :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Does this have anything new regarding that X-fi command briefing bug?

Just me or in the last few builds I can't target nodes?

Indeed, same here.

Also, some bugs in ships spawning in some parts of the FS2 campaign, mostly in Nebula missions, not sure wether an FSO bug or FREDing mistake, but it cleared up with quitting and retrying missions.

Offline wolf

It's a basic part of the FBO extension so I'm sure ATI supports at least that, especially since it's working for some of their hardware for sure.
You're right, I confused render-to-texture with non-power-of-two textures.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

Hey, I've been playing FS Port 3.0.3. mostly of time lately, and just till now, I thought this was a new port feature not some kind of bug. So this issue is 'quite' old not the last few builds (as example Backslash's multitargeting betas suffer it).

Wait or ask Taylor if you mantis it.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Does this have anything new regarding that X-fi command briefing bug?
Nope, no clue what's causing it, so not much I can do about it until the new X-fi drivers get released.

What was the last build that worked?  Now that I check, it's doing the same thing to me so there is deffinitely a problem here.  Try and figure out which build was the last to work, and then Mantis it.

Also, some bugs in ships spawning in some parts of the FS2 campaign, mostly in Nebula missions, not sure wether an FSO bug or FREDing mistake, but it cleared up with quitting and retrying missions.
What sort of bugs?  In which missions specifically?

What was the last build that worked?  Now that I check, it's doing the same thing to me so there is deffinitely a problem here.  Try and figure out which build was the last to work, and then Mantis it.

A while back, I just recently came back to playing FS2(long story there), but I recall stuff from 2004 being non broken, sorry I cannot be more specific.

What sort of bugs?  In which missions specific

Definetly A Game of Tag where the last few ships refuse to show up. I think it's caused somewhere in the warping in stuff, as I recall Command saying that the enemies 'arrived', but they never showed up.

Offline Shade

The problem with A Game of Tag is known. The ships do warp in, they just do not approach as they should. There's a fixed version floating around somewhere which will take care of it until the bug is gone - search should find it easy enough.

[Edit] Oh, and there's a list of builds Here going a ways back that can help figure out when the node bug first showed up.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 02:30:58 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Found the fix, slightly dissapointing as I had to skip it.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Found and fixed the node bug already so you can ignore that one.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken