Author Topic: Thrusters and explosions  (Read 15920 times)

Offline Kolgena

Re: Thrusters and explosions
Yeah, that's fine. Just wanted to let you know that whatever changed up until 7696 doesn't fix it.

I haven't had any such issues with getting thruster distortion to work yet, and have been testings versions prior to 7696 as they are available.  I can also confirm that strange black stuff which appears around thrusters in ship lab, that is when animated shader is turned on. Nothing new aside from that.

I'll keep testing and see if anything I've missed shows up.
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The black around the thrusters in the ship lab shouldn't ever happen anywhere else. It's caused by a combination of the animated shader (ship select materialization effect) and the thrusters being turned on. Since thrusters are never on in the actual ship select, this one probably isn't much of an issue.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Indeed even though on my pc it works fine even with animated shader and thrusters enabled in the lab. Some ATI Context switching issue i presume. Again cant trace it without a card
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Interesting... though I am on Nvidia... but I still wager that the issue can safely be ignored.

Problem found in latest build, r7831: That black stuff which appears around thrusters in tech lab? It is occurring for explosions in-game as well. I was doing a trial battle in a custom mod (No unusual code or settings that shouldn't be there, nor custom effects) between a battleship and two cruisers. When one of the cruisers exploded, the black stuff appeared shortly before the shockwaves arrived.

Can someone run a test to verify this?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:40:30 am by starwolf1991 »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I didn't noticed that, though I noticed another issue when thruster distortion is on:

This seems to come from distortion not being applied to glows, only to main haze. Whatever the case, I'd like to see it fixed.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
F3 Lab does that and, iirc, we aren't worried about that. In-mission should be fine, please capture a screen from a mission if the issue remains.

It's a strange one; I see it happen occasionally, but then its fine the rest of the time. Because of that, I don't think I can get you screenshots. :/

Offline petar91

Hi,

About the distorsion effects i have some remarks :

_I think an option to enable/disable distorsion effect separatly for shockwave and thrusters would be usefull, the thruster distorsion limit is when you are behind a ship you can see the 2D flat/horizontal effect

_an option to disable the 3d blue shockwave effect and keep the shockwave distorsion would be usefull too.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
You already can toggle the use of 2D - 3D shockwaves and shockwave distortion.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:22:21 am by Commander Zane »

Offline petar91

I know, but with it you have 2d or 3d shockwave with or without framebuffer shockwave. I was thinking of disabling the shockwave effect to keep only the distorsion effect (no 2d or 3d shockwave, but only the distorsion effect).

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

That would require tabling the effect to having a "blank" shockwave graphic. You can't disable the shockwaves and still  have shockwaves. Not possible. And the distortion is keyed to shockwaves.

So, make a transparent "no effect" shockwave. Viola.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Could we get the distortion applied to all thruster effects (also includes maneuvering thrusters), not just the haze?
I think it could look quite good.

Offline Nighteyes

regarding the shockwaves:
"hey man, I was wondering if you could make the distortion effect on the shockwave tweakable via a table file like you did with the thruster, specifying an effect to use for the distortion, and an effect to render, the idea I have in mind is a 90% transparent shockwave, but with relatively strong distortion effect..."

to this the replay I got was that shockwaves distortions are experimental, and in due time will get a host of tweakable settings

Bug report: When testing latest 3.6.14 SSE and Non-SSE RC1, thruster distortion is not present even though they are enabled in launcher 5.5g. Also, the issue I reported regarding explosions and shockwaves is happening again. Unlike before, it is now appearing 100% of the time. Tested this in default FS2 and several mods, it appears in all of them.

Is this already a known issue or can anyone confirm it?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:24:17 pm by starwolf1991 »

Offline Kolgena

Did thrusters ever work for you with any of the nightlies? Some system setups (ATI) seem incapable of doing thruster distortion for some reason, and I doubt any changes were made when the code got moved to the RC.

Yes they have, as previously reported. And no, I am not running on ATI-based systems. The last nightlies build released before RC 3.6.14 was running thruster distortion perfectly and didn't have the aforementioned explosions/shockwaves issue.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Please note that 3.6.14 RC1 was originally based off trunk r7811 - can you confirm if this nightly still has your issue? If it does then there could be a patch somewhere we need to backport to 3.6.14
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I have never used that version, so I wouldn't know without testing.  I'll give r7811 a go and see if the reported issues occur. For clarity, r7939 was the last build I ever used and can say was most functional/stable.

I'm actually surprised RC1 is based off r7811. How come that far back? Only curious, no nitpicking intended.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:37:20 pm by starwolf1991 »