Author Topic: Is there a way to disable Texture filtering?  (Read 2871 times)

Is there a way to disable Texture filtering?
I was going for a pixel-art style for the textures on my ships. Unfortunately, there seems to be texture filtering in place in FS2. I suppose that would be awesome for anyone trying to make realistic graphics, but since I'm going for something more retro, I was wondering if there was a way to disable it so my models come out without the blurred textures.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Re: Is there a way to disable Texture filtering?
Not presently, I'm afraid. I couldn't rule out it being a possible feature, but depending on the exact look you're going for there may be ways to get there without it.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Not presently, I'm afraid. I couldn't rule out it being a possible feature, but depending on the exact look you're going for there may be ways to get there without it.

Well, Idk if we'll be able to achieve that exact look without being able to disable filtering.

That said, I'm open to other styles. What kind of shaders (if any) could be used in FSO? Would something like Cel-shading, or Nearest Neighbor filtering be possible?

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Those are probably possible to implement as custom shaders. The SCP doesn't promise backwards compatibility if there are future changes to the graphics code, but it's very possible for mods to package their own shaders and do whatever wild things they want with them. And if someone has the chops to make shaders but finds the engine doesn't have something they need to make it work, I'd put decent odds on feature requests to the SCP being fruitful. I've been messing with the shaders some lately, and while I'm far from an expert I'd be willing to share what knowledge I can if it'll help.

Well, Idk if we'll be able to achieve that exact look without being able to disable filtering.
Well, again that depends on what you're going for, 'retro' can cover a wide swath of things. From what I understand some artists get an original Starfox look by mapping regions of faces to solid color regions in a texture, kind of making their texture into a color pallet of sorts. For a sprite-like or very early textured look, maybe scaling your texture up in an image editor with nearest neighbor scaling would get the pixel boundaries crisp enough in game.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

I tried scaling up. Certainly looks way better, but still not quite something I'm happy with.
But that doesn't really discourage me, I played some other mods and got inspiration for some other styles, too. The only challenge I'm really having now is how to properly UV unwrap more intricate models.

Sorry I don't have a straight answer for what I'm going for, other than the fact that I wanted it to look like something off the Sega Saturn or Playstation. Mega Man Legends was pretty heavy inspiration for what I had in mind as far as the art style goes.

As far as the solid colors go, I tried that too, but Starfox had such simple yet impactful designs for their ships. Mine don't seem to be able to adopt that style without looking a bit... plastic, if that makes any sense.
That said, I'm learning a lot about other methods of texturing. Once UV unwrapping makes more sense to me I might be good to go. I have another thread for that discussion here if you wanted to weigh in and help me understand that better: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=98022.0