Author Topic: Exile - Discussion  (Read 58956 times)

Offline 5thAce

Anyone know if there is a way to enable text-to-speech during gameplay somehow? Text-to-speech works in briefings and debriefings but not while in a mission. I'm playing on 3.8.0. I've played through the first couple of missions, so far so good!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:36:40 pm by 5thAce »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
You enable it in the launcher, just as for the briefings & techroom, but if the messages have a real audio file (even if it's just a beep), it'll play that and not the TTS.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 5thAce

You enable it in the launcher, just as for the briefings & techroom, but if the messages have a real audio file (even if it's just a beep), it'll play that and not the TTS.

Ah I see, I do have TTS enabled in the launcher for In-game but still nothing comes up during gameplay, I'm guessing there is some real audio file preventing the TTS from doing its thing.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Exactly. Exile uses two types of "beeps" for messages. We assumed this was better option, rather than just text lines.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Just FYI, if you make your beep filenames one of the list "cuevoice", "emptymsg", "generic", or "msgstart", TTS will work regardless (and preempt the beep).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

Nyctaeus, do you want me to post the achievements list here that you PMed me (I'd put it in spoiler text of course)?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Nyctaeus, do you want me to post the achievements list here that you PMed me (I'd put it in spoiler text of course)?
It's already posted in Library thread. With some small updates :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CT27

It's already posted in Library thread. With some small updates :P

What's the "library thread"? (link)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Akin to BP, I decided to keep all downloads in library thread. Including ItDW release.

Offline CT27

I looked in that link and I didn't see the list of achievements.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Okay... It's strange. I posted it yesterday if I remember correctly. Now it's gone o__O.

Fixed.

Offline CKid

Played the first few missions and I'm loving every moment of it. Outstanding job on the cut-scenes. I'm getting some of the same vibes as from the "Into the depths of Hell" campaigns.

Spoiler:
That one mission evacuating the large space city hit me in the feels. Fought hard to protect the shuttles, trying to save as many civilians as possible only to be forced to kill the rest.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Played the first few missions and I'm loving every moment of it. Outstanding job on the cut-scenes. I'm getting some of the same vibes as from the "Into the depths of Hell" campaigns.

Spoiler:
That one mission evacuating the large space city hit me in the feels. Fought hard to protect the shuttles, trying to save as many civilians as possible only to be forced to kill the rest.
Spoiler:
Let 3 of rogue shuttles get into Abraham. If you manage to save all [but 2] in previous parts of mission, you gonna get achievemet.

As for ItDoH, well... Very good association :)

Offline kimo

So first thoughts after finishing campaign (Except that it is great ;) )

Spoiler:
So Earth go full nazi? Suprisingly that give me some grim satisfaction. I always though that isolation will go bad for Sol. On the other hand... WTF earthers ?! Nuking cities?! Murdering hundreds of milions civilians?! Walker, I hope you didn't die too fast...

11 billion for Mars? Isn't that a little too much? How big is Earth population? For that matter: how big is EFN and ORS?

Spoiler:
For some reasons Earth's destruction didn't give me chills. Probably because I was expecting it ('Exile', picture of Sathanas in bombarding position). More melancholic was thought, that when GTVA contruct portal to Sol, they will find only death and destruction. And this time it will not be interdimensional jump :( . At least they will be able to just shut down the portal, right? ... right?

Speaking of dimensions. Is Exile in the same universe as Shadow Genesis? Or are they completely separate creations ?

Spoiler:
Wait, did Altair lost connection to GTVA?

Spoiler:
(Delta) Serpentians? "...long had we been the destroyer...[/i]" ?

Spoiler:
Could you give us some info about Rossendarch's fleet? Is it bigger than Syndicates? On that matter: how big Exodus Fleet should be? Meaning: how many survivors (in total) Tessandras expected?

Spoiler:
Galactica vibes from Ironclad  :yes: And generally BSG / Quarians feels from campaign :)

Spoiler:
Is Mastermind older than Ancients?

Spoiler:
Will Exodus Fleet met GTVA? Will Rossendarch's fleet met GTVA? Will Exodus Fleet met Rossendarch's fleet? Will Fives shag Swifty?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Spoiler:
So Earth go full nazi? Suprisingly that give me some grim satisfaction. I always though that isolation will go bad for Sol. On the other hand... WTF earthers ?! Nuking cities?! Murdering hundreds of milions civilians?! Walker, I hope you didn't die too fast...
Spoiler:
"Nazi" is not a proper word here. EFN is no racist, etc. and more centered around earth elitism philosophy. Also Earth economy and politics is dominated by powefull lobbist and corporation influences, draining off earther, lunar and martial financial and economical potential, finally leading to their eventual economical collapse. EFN is more like corporational oligarchy.

11 billion for Mars? Isn't that a little too much? How big is Earth population? For that matter: how big is EFN and ORS?
Spoiler:
Mars was primary target for intense reolocation of population efforts, furtherly used as main food supply for very polluted and slowly collapsing Earth society. Earth was struggling with overpopulation for decades, but as Sol-Delta Serpentis node collapsed just after first major wave of migration, other planets become primary target again. Majority of Mars population was relocated from Earth after the Great War, so it's final population was 2-3 billion people smaller than Earth's. Outer Rim was another story. Estimated population of Outer Rim is 7-8 billion, with majority living on terratormed "ocean moons".

Spoiler:
For some reasons Earth's destruction didn't give me chills. Probably because I was expecting it ('Exile', picture of Sathanas in bombarding position). More melancholic was thought, that when GTVA contruct portal to Sol, they will find only death and destruction. And this time it will not be interdimensional jump :( . At least they will be able to just shut down the portal, right? ... right?
Spoiler:
GTVA probably won't ever be able construct Sol Gate. Situation of GTVA is much more grim in Exile timeline, as it wasn't end of their problems with Shivans.

Speaking of dimensions. Is Exile in the same universe as Shadow Genesis? Or are they completely separate creations ?
No. Exile is independent continuation.

Spoiler:
Wait, did Altair lost connection to GTVA?
Spoiler:
Altair was, in fact, just first. Subspace cataclysm caused by Capella star wasn't responsible only for formation of Sol-Beta Volantis jump node, but also for numerous changes of subspace node network inside GTVA space. Some systems, like Altair, were permanently lost. While other, completly new ones just opened

Spoiler:
(Delta) Serpentians? "...long had we been the destroyer...[/i]" ?
Spoiler:
Native species of Delta Serpentis. Wiped out by early terran military expeditions, to give terran colonists access to planets of Delta Serpentis. Erased from official records, but as Admiral Tessandras was former GTI officer, he had access to everything

Spoiler:
Could you give us some info about Rossendarch's fleet? Is it bigger than Syndicates? On that matter: how big Exodus Fleet should be? Meaning: how many survivors (in total) Tessandras expected?
Spoiler:
One modiffied Praetor-class destroyer [Sovereign], 4 elite Talos-class destroyers [Gideon, Potemkin, Cromwell, Dortmunder], 4 sleeperships based on Praetor-carriers, numerous frigates and cruises, and small number of utility vessels. 1,3 milion of active personel, and 3 millions in hypersleep. Overally similar to Syndicate Exodus Fleet in terms of size and firepower, but much better equipped and prepared for long, interstellar journey.

Spoiler:
Galactica vibes from Ironclad  :yes: And generally BSG / Quarians feels from campaign :)
Spoiler:
BSG was one of our major sources of inspiration :P. BSG and Homeworld to be precise. We wanted Syndicate Exodus Fleet to be much, much bigger, better equipped, and capable of performing multiple military operations at the same time. And Exodus Fleet retain ability to produce new warships up to frigate size.

Exile is actually based on dumped, unfinished mod by Droid803 and ShadowGorrath called Project Outreach. You may still find a dump somerhere here.

Spoiler:
Is Mastermind older than Ancients?
Spoiler:
Probably :]

Spoiler:
Will Exodus Fleet met GTVA? Will Rossendarch's fleet met GTVA? Will Exodus Fleet met Rossendarch's fleet? Will Fives shag Swifty?
Spoiler:
Maybe. No. Yes... And no :P

Offline kimo

Spoiler:
GTVA probably won't ever be able construct Sol Gate. Situation of GTVA is much more grim in Exile timeline, as it wasn't end of their problems with Shivans.

Spoiler:
Altair was, in fact, just first. Subspace cataclysm caused by Capella star wasn't responsible only for formation of Sol-Beta Volantis jump node, but also for numerous changes of subspace node network inside GTVA space. Some systems, like Altair, were permanently lost. While other, completly new ones just opened

Spoiler:
Damn. That doesn't bode well for Alliance

So no connections between Exodus Fleet and unknown, Terran-looking ship from SG... But it still could be from Sol  :)

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I wonder how Leibniz and his men would react to meeting with Rossendarch's fleet

Offline CKid

Just finished the mission "Dangerous Game" and I got no debriefing. As far as I know, I completed all objectives.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
So no connections between Exodus Fleet and unknown, Terran-looking ship from SG... But it still could be from Sol  :)
Spoiler:
It isn't from Sol. It belong to Enclave faction. They were terrans... Once.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I wonder how Leibniz and his men would react to meeting with Rossendarch's fleet
It would be hard for him because Rossendarch has very... Progressive agenda. His quote is mentioned in introduction post of Exile, so it may reveal a lot for you. Anyway, eventual meeting with GTVA would be perhaps even harder, as EFN was never friendly towards vasudan.

Just finished the mission "Dangerous Game" and I got no debriefing. As far as I know, I completed all objectives.
Were you able to pass through to next mission?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:02:05 pm by Nyctaeus »

Offline CKid

Offline CKid

Tested the mission in the techroom and turns out if you use the checkpoint system, you get no debriefing. Played it twice. Once having to load a checkpoint and once without.