Author Topic: Wing Commander Arena  (Read 16644 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Tolwyn is correct.

Selective memory?

Heh, more likely they were given the barest of background material to work from.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It looks like Gaia Industries use a standard graphics engine for their games...

http://uk.media.xbox360.ign.com/media/857/857555/img_4161482.html

That's a shot from Street Trace NYC. And while I'm on the subject, why does their texture artist outline everything in black?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I blame the coder!  :P

Doesn't look like something an artists could do.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I think its safe to say that after this comes out it will be the end of Wing Commander.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. The movie did enough damage, this will just kill what's left... :doubt:
Too bad, Wing Commander was the greatest of its time...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:13:54 pm by Commander Zane »

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
And while I'm on the subject, why does their texture artist outline everything in black?
looks like cel-shading to me...
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I blame the coder!  :P

Doesn't look like something an artists could do.

I'm not so certain, look at the building behind the skater in that picture, what would you say the resolution of that image is? 64 x 128 maybe? That speaks of either poor mipmapping or an inexperienced texturer, though there is always the possibility of specification error at the design stage.

I've never played these guys games, so I'll reserve judgement on them, retro isn't always a bad thing, my guess is that EA feels that 'Unreal Tourney in Space' is a good way to attract new faces to the WC franchise (Also, I'll be interested to see whether the multiplay contains the usual EA requirement of streaming ad capability - The other reason EA likes multiplayer).

Personally, I don't like the look of it, the capship battles talk of completing 3 'layers' of capship, after which it explodes, sort of like fighting the Bosses in old 2D side-shooters, fun in the short time I don't doubt, but not really using the environment to the full. It's a quick-reflex arcade game, with power-ups etc. My concern is that the release of Arena, using the Wing Commander name, could actually damage the label 'Space Combat Sim'.

Edit : Yeah Cel Shader is a strong possibility, on inspection, those black lines go around the character model as well, which suggests post-processing rather than texture.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I've got a nasty suspicion that rather than being the rebirth of the series, this could very well end up the final nail in the coffin.

ARGGG!!! WC kiled teh genrah!!!
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:lol: That would be strangely ironic, all things considered....

Offline Sphynx

Tolwyn is correct.

Selective memory?

Perhaps. Sloppy work is also another possibilty. They also made some other misakes, saying that in the original WC you could upgrade your armor, shields, weapons, etc. That was only possible in Privateer and Privateer 2, and the closest thing you could do to that in othe WC titles was choose your missile loadout in WC3 and 4. I was a little surprised that some of the "big gun" WC fans who jump on other inaccuracies like a junk yard dog on a T-bone steak let these errors pass by without so much as a warning shot across the bow.

Another bit of irony: among some hard core WC fans, some of the biggest critiques of FS has been a lack of characters and shallow story line. As far as I can tell, Arena has no characters and no real story line to speak of. Even Academy had some characters you were familiar with, and even Armada had a bit of a plot. But from what I am seeing it is just missing here.

You know, I might even feel a little differently about it if it had actually been made 3D. Even that little change would have helped. It still would have felt more like Star Fox than WC, but it would have made a difference. But each time I try to like it, the flat space concept just comes back to haunt me and reminds me that it will be very hard for a WC video game to feel like WC to me if it isn't 3D.

Maybe if they marketed it as an arcade game that people from within the WC universe play when they are off duty, I might be able to bend my mind... I have really tried to like the concept, and every now and then I will get a spark, but it just fades away. I tried, I really tried.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 11:07:49 am by Sphynx »
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Some of the fighters look ok, when viewed in the selection screen. The caps look awefull. The Midway has way to much strange details added to it. Its has become also quite fat.
Well we will see what explanation they will have for that.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Middle Age Spread ;)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Ah yes that explains it ^_^
Takeing a look again at the Midway...I could life with it except these spiky things and the round boxes I can't make any use of.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Some of the fighters look ok, when viewed in the selection screen. The caps look awefull. The Midway has way to much strange details added to it. Its has become also quite fat.

Hehe, I just wrote the same thing on CIC before I've checked this thread.

Weird/useless details = No no
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It's not that it's too fat, it's that it's now a short, stubby P.O.S. And the fighters are absolutely terrible...They ruined the Rapier design AGAIN just like the movie did. The game's just going to finish the damage the movie caused. I'd hate to see the Bengal Strike Carrier's design now...

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
not to mention the sillyness they did by mentioning that whole Pilgrim-thing-turd.

I don't know why but people don't get it: The movie may have been Wing Commander, but it is to remain seperate from the games.

and incidentally: the CIC chiefs are fanboys.
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

No, they're sellouts. Any fanboy worth his salt would be screaming pure bloody murder.
* ngtm1r is far more familar with fanboy behavior then he'd like.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
not to mention the sillyness they did by mentioning that whole Pilgrim-thing-turd.

I don't know why but people don't get it: The movie may have been Wing Commander, but it is to remain seperate from the games.

It can't be seperate from the games if the movie had nearly every character from Wing Commander 1. The story (If I'm right.) also had the same plot: Kilrathi attack in Vega, Confederation pushes them back away from Vega.

Offline Sphynx

Well, in some ways that is true. In other ways it ripped glaring contradictions into the story. For example, in the movie Bossman died before Blair ever met him. In the game, Blair and Bossman flew quite a few missions together and became friends. In the movie, Paladin was already in special ops when Blair came to the Tiger's Claw. In the games, that didn't happen 'till WC2, Paladin was a pilot aboard the Claw in WC1. In the game, Rapiers are not jump capable, in the movie they are. In the movie, Hunter and Blair don't get along. In the game, they are friends and take out a Kilrathi station together. In the movie, Knight dies very early in Blair's career. In the game, he is still their in the second secret missions part. That is not to mention that the Tiger's Claw looks different, there was a total re-visioning of the universe, etc. I could go on.

I know some people who would fight me to the deat h on this, but it I think the movie was more of a re-visioning of the game universe than a coherent part of the game universe. Nothing wrong with that in principle, it just gets sticky if you try to make the two stick together.
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I remember that much from what little of Wing Commander 2 I played. And yes, I know the Tiger's Claw looked different...it looked like a green paper towel roll...that opened up to let Rapiers take off and land...

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

Yeah... that was... stupid...

Honestly the movie would have been quite a bit better if:
It focused on say the McAuliffe missions of WC1.
Keep the ship designs like WC1, but have them a lot more darker, worn, and grittier. (so the bright greens are very... very... drab) Similarly uniforms and sets somewhat similar to the cutscenes in-game but made darker.

Having the Kilrathi ships look more like the ones in WC3 was fine... but the cats themselves needed to keep the overall red coloring and a look similar to WC3. Use armor to make them more menacing...

Ditch the submarine movie "shh! be quiet in space" crap. The whole hiding in a crater and 'depth charges' bit was somewhat fun and clever, but really the whole sequence should have been reworked into a cat and mouse game around a gas giant system and its closest moon. If some 'submariner' stuff was needed having the ships duking it out in the outer atmosphere of a gas giant (fighters inside the ship, say this is done as a desperate move due to losing too many bombers) would have worked.

A tight, coherent story tied around Confed's protecting a single planet (The Tiger's Claw having to draw off Kilrathi capital ships which could bombard it, etc.) and Blair's hitting the front lines and realising how bad the war actually is going would have been much better.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:47:29 pm by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock