Author Topic: Joystick vs HOTAS vs Keyboard?  (Read 3044 times)

Offline ion

Joystick vs HOTAS vs Keyboard?
Hello all,

I'm a huge BSG fan and just barely discovered this game. I have no idea why it took me so long, just because I have loved BSG, watched the reimagined series multiple times (and the original series, as well), and love everything about it. I've wanted a game just like this for a long time. Thank you to the devs for making this.

My question for players is this:

Do you feel a joystick or HOTAS would be beneficial for this game (if yes, which one and why?), or if a keyboard is the best way to experience the game?

Thanks!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Joystick vs HOTAS vs Keyboard?
It doesn’t matter at all; you can make any control method (including controller) work. Mouse might have an advantage for precise aiming at range, but it’s not a make or break thing.

Offline ion

It doesn’t matter at all; you can make any control method (including controller) work. Mouse might have an advantage for precise aiming at range, but it’s not a make or break thing.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at joysticks that may be a good fit for this game. I used to play a lot of X-Wing vs TIE Fighter back in the 90s and 2000s and I miss that kind of gameplay.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I use an ancient Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 for this.  I enjoy the mechanics and additional immersion of using a joystick, but the game is definitely playable with M+K.

With the speed of the Vipers in this game, I tend to overshoot and overcorrect a lot with the joystick.   
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline ion

Does the game have dual joystick support?

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Not natively (yet) AFAIK- it only supports one USB device at a time.  There are some third party programs that allow you to combine multiple USB devices; here are threads discussing this one and this one.

You might also check out the Joystick FAQ for more tips, suggestions, etc.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.