Author Topic: Freespace Port 2.3 Released!  (Read 18245 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Freespace Port 2.3 Released!
Download from FilePlanet, 13.1 mb
Download via BitTorrent (thanks to dizzy for the mirror)

This release replaces all previous versions of the Port.  You will have to remove the other main vp's (fsport2_2, etc.) for this version to work properly.

To avoid the awkwardness of the 2.1 main download followed by the 2.2 "patch", this version has been reorganized into a main download and several optional downloads, following the convention of the main FS2 campaign.  If you've already downloaded the optional files, you do not need to download them again.  If you haven't downloaded them yet, they can be found on the FSPort download page.

This version also fixes numerous crashes and balancing errors found in prior versions.

Here's the text of the readme:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

==< FREESPACE PORT TO FREESPACE 2 >==
Version 2.3 02/17/2004
http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/fsport/
======================================

This is a streamlined reorganization of the latest version of the Freespace Port.  Be sure to remove all previous versions of the port (including the old 2.2) before you install this version.

PLEASE NOTE that this version of the Port no longer supports 1024x768 mode as-is.  You must download the optional hi-res interface art from the Port downloads page.  This was done to minimize download time and disk space usage for those who prefer 640x480 mode.  For the same reason, the ultra-high-resolution texture maps (requiring the registry hack) were also split off into a separate download.

=< EXTRACTING FREESPACE VOICE AND ANIMATIONS >=

If you own Freespace and/or Silent Threat, you're in for a treat! You can extract all the necessary files from the previous games and play the Port with full voice acting and command briefing animations. You will need Descent Manager's VPVIEW32 to extract the files. (http://dl.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?3dactionplanet/freespace/vpvw20b2.exe)

Copy and/or extract these files:
FS2\data\cbanim.vp (from the FS1 CD) Freespace command briefing animations.
FS2\data\interface\cb_*.ani (extracted from the ST MDISK.VP) Silent Threat command briefing animations.
FS2\data\movies\*.mve (from both FS1 CDs) Freespace cutscenes. A little unstable.
FS2\data\voice\briefings (from voc.vp and mdisk.vp) Briefing voice.
FS2\data\voice\command_briefings (from freespace.vp and mdisk.vp) Command briefing voice.
FS2\data\voice\debriefings (from voc.vp and mdisk.vp) Debriefing voice.
FS2\data\voice\special (from freespace.vp and mdisk.vp) In-mission message voice.

These files can also be downloaded from the Port homepage in convenient VP files.

=< CONVERTING FSMs >=

If you've made any missions for Freespace using FRED, or you've downloaded some that you'd like to convert to Freespace 2, it's simple with the Port. Follow these steps.

-Open the .FSM mission in NotePad and save it as .FS2. (The first step.)
-Do a find-and-replace for PV and replace it with GV. This makes all the Vasudan ships recognised by FS2--PVC Aten is replaced with GVC Aten etc.
-Find and replace GVF Anubis, GVB Amun, GVFr Ma'at and GVFr Bast with their PV* equivalents. These ships retained their PV designations in Freespace 2.
-Find and replace Prometheus with Prometheus S. I didn't include the standard Prom with the Port, just used the Prom S.
-Replace capital ship weapons with their definitions in the FS1 ships.tbl. That replaces the beams and flak on the ships with FS1 laser turrets.

Save and open it up in FRED2. It should work, but check up on any error messages you may get. Most common ones are medal grants and if the Galatea or Bastion are included. Once it checks out OK, try it in FS2. If that runs, you're in good shape--save a backup. For the finishing touches, give the Vasudan ships AltNames (give all the GVF Thoths PVF Thoth designations etc,) make sure all fighters have the right FS1 weapons, and give all large Vasudan craft Vasudan turrets instead of Terran turrets. Add backgrounds and music, fix briefing icons, and edit any briefing text that doesn't fit or has quotation marks. Run through the mission a few times and make sure everything fits. Save, test, etc. throughout.

If the first few steps don't work, you'll have to add all the objects manually, anywhere. You can copy and paste ship position and orientation, briefing information, and events and messages from the FSM piece by piece until you run into a problem. Then you can add that much by hand.

Goober5000 is currently working on an 'Import FSM' option in FRED2_Open. Stay tuned for more details.

=< KNOWN ISSUES >=

Tech Room: "The ship listing in the Tech Room displays the wrong ships." The best solution is to create a new pilot from the Pilot Select screen--cloning your current pilot won't work. This should reset the tech room so all FS1 and FS2 ships appear.

"Whenever I click on the weapons database, the game crashes." This is a bug in the FS2 engine. If you use FS2_Open you should be able to read all the tech descriptions; alternatively, you can visit the Port's Features page for data on all the new weapons.

=< VERSION HISTORY >=

Updates in 2.3:
-Fixed a few more crash bugs.
-Fixed a bunch of mission bugs in both the FS1 and FS2 campaigns.
-Some more small fixes that I forget.

Updates in 2.2c:
-Fixed the crash bug in Failure to Communicate (and possibly elsewhere).  It was caused by referencing game sound indexes that were higher than the maximum allowed index.
-Rebalanced and fixed bugs in some missions, including Failure to Communicate, Playing Judas, and Good Luck.
-Fixed the conflicts between Cyclops and Cyclops#short.

Updates in 2.2b:
-Port reorganized by splitting into three VP files: the essential files, the hi-res interface art, and the hi-res texture maps.  These can all be downloaded from the FSPort downloads page.

Updates in 2.2:
-A cleaner, ultra-efficient ships.tbl now accepts all tech room descriptions.
-New animated FS2-style ship selection interface art! Wow!
-Selected engine sound effects from FS1 integrated.
-A remodeled PVI Karnak with better LODs and cleaner geometry.
-The ever-present bug fixes and enhancements to the original campaign.

Updates in 2.1:
-Enhanced SCP support, including fixed tables for debug builds, a new splash screen, and fixed glowmaps for the Athena and Fenris.
-Enhanced multiplayer support, with Towani's dogfight weapons, and the Amun, Anubis and Athena models are now more stable.
-Dozens of new briefing icons by Black Wolf! No more Aeolus cruisers. Please note: the Largeship is now the Faustus science cruiser and to use the Demon icon, make it a Shivan support ship.
-A much nicer version of the pilot select screen.
-Slight changes to the FS2 missions Into the Lion's Den, Slaying Ravana, and Clash of the Titans II.
-Plenty of mission fixes in the original ported campaign, including the Vasudan ace, the shield prototype mission, the introduction of the SC Taranis, updating the icons, and other stuff I can't remember right now.
-FS1 Subspace POFs included. Subspace looks much nicer now, no more 'rings.'
-Ancients cutscenes now included in the ported campaign file. Please note, this feature is not fully supported yet. :(
-All instances of the Vasudan Light Laser have been renamed to the VLL-9 Laser, so it doesn't spill over the HUD.
-Some weapon tweaks, including fading out for the Huge laser turrets, a new Megafunk sound effect, and some other slight tweaks to the VLL, Havoc, and Unknown bombs.
-Faustus model modified so anything towing it goes forwards.
-GTC Leviathan skin hue slightly modified, to differentiate it from the Fenris.
-New Ancients CBanim, borrowed from one of Setekh's renders. I'm sure he won't mind.
-Interface art for the SF Dragon (terrans) is now complete, thanks to Sesquipedalian.
-Fused Karnak is now included.
-Squad logo added for the Vasudan Imperium.
-Asteroid-field-debris has been reskinned.
-Some... 'extras...' for use in ST:R by Goober. ;7
-Pilot images from FS1 now included.

Updates in 2.0:
-Hi-res FS1 maps included; not all of them, just the ones at a higher res than the FS2 versions.
-All new Terran and Vasudan fighters and bombers have squadron insignias.
-Brand spanking new weapon interface art, in the FS2 style.
-FS1 weapons now use the FS1 sound effects.
-Tables stabilized by squeezing under the 130 ship limit.
-CoTT2 fix, subspace palette fix, five-engined Hades, and new pilot selection screen included.
-Still more bug fixes in the original campaign.
-Shielded Lucifer by DTP included and you can see the effects in the campaign. HUD icon included, courtesy of Sesquipedalian.
-Silent Threat, (badly) ported to FS2.

Updates in 1.5:
-Fixed hitpoint values for most of the imported ships, including nearly doubling the Athena's shields and armor. :p
-Karnak now has dock points, fighterbays, and turret paths, thanks to DTP.
-Weapon animations added for those who don't have Freespace. Only one weapon table is needed now.
-Fixed the turrets on the Amun.
-Added credits to Act III, mission 10.
-Fixed a few small bugs in some of the missions.
-Changed campaign to integrate some of the FS1 cutscenes.
-Added an icon for the Karnak installation, and edited the icons table to accommidate it.

Original release 1.0:
-All Freespace ships and weapons added to the FS2 tables.
-Main Freespace campaign converted to FS2.
-PVI Karnak, Railgun, Fang, Barracuda and Havoc missiles included for use in future campaigns.
-Earth background added for use in the final mission.

=< LEGAL MUMBO-JUMBO >=

All material included herein is copyright 1998-1999 Volition, Inc., Interplay, and THQ. Ported with permission to Freespace 2 2001-2004 by Peter Oliver aka Galemp. You may use these mods for your own missions, campaigns, and mods on a no-cost non-commercial basis. Hosting provided by Hard Light Productions (http://www.3dap.com/hlp/) No Vasudans were harmed in the making of this Port.

S I L E N T   T H R E A T :   R E B O R N

coming... eh... when it's done. :p
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 08:28:52 pm by 561 »

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Can we expect to see Silent Threat: Reborn anytime soon?
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This year, very probably. :D

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Downloading now
:)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Can we expect a TVWP demo soon? ;)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline RandomTiger

Does it work OK with fs2_open?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
*smacks Raa* :p

(Incidentally, the UW was originally the demo... how's that for feature creep. :p)

RandomTiger: Yes, I checked it thoroughly before putting it together.

Offline Recon

Just a FYI to the developers, the intro screen still says version 2.2 :)

And yes it seems to work great with fs_open

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ooh, good call.  I'll get GE on it straight away. :D

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
Uh... "Error: File not found." Is it just my computer that's retarded today, or something more sinister? Anyway, I'll keep trying...

Oh yeah - Question for you: Once/if I download this chunk, does that mean I can eradicate all the other FSPort-releases? Just making sure.
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FilePlanet is sometimes antsy.  Just keep trying.

Yes, you can get rid of the other main downloads (but keep the optional ones).

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
Heh, that was even explained in the readme. :) Oh well, I guess I'll just have to try out all these fancy gadgets the SCP-muppets and Lightspeed cranked out some day...
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hey, how'd I miss this? Great job, the whole process is much friendlier now. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I updated the pilot selection screen so it now correctly shows 2.3.

Originally posted by Goober5000
I updated the pilot selection screen so it now correctly shows 2.3.

Problem I get this random crash bug with FS2_Open_HT&L and it's on random missions.

Could someone post a link to a more stable FS2_Open for me to run this mod and normal FS2? I love this mod and want to play it but can't.:confused: :(
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, harkens night and silence is the light." Ajunta Pull, KOTOR.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Use the 03_05 build in the SCP forum.  Or if you prefer, use retail.

Originally posted by Goober5000
Use the 03_05 build in the SCP forum.  Or if you prefer, use retail.

Hi agian could you point me to the right thread?
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, harkens night and silence is the light." Ajunta Pull, KOTOR.

Offline redmenace

Goober is this a SCP Bug or a Port Bug:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 09:28:58 pm by 561 »
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ack!  Definitely a SCP bug.