Author Topic: Why are the FS1 mission bugs not fixed?  (Read 11637 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Why are the FS1 mission bugs not fixed?
A lot of the missions were originally ported by hand, and human error crept in several times.  Now that we have an automatic converter, we'll probably re-convert them.

Offline CaptJosh

Ok, playing the mission with the Plato. First time through I did all too well. When the Shivans jumped in to attack the Plato, I ordered my wingmen to defend the Plato. They did so. I personally kept the bomber off her and blew it up, but only shortly after seeing "bonus objective completed". When I looked, the Plato had made it to the jump node.

Second time through, my wingmen for some reason didn't correctly engage the Vasudans, so I was left way out of position when the Shivans jumped back in to attack the Plato I didn't order my wingmen to defend the Plato this time so that it would be blown up. After it was, and all but the one Scorpion jumped out, I and my wingmates blew it away. Completely successful outcome, but no bonus objective complete indicator during the mission.

Was that bonus objective not in the original mission?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The bonus objective was in the original mission if you took out that Scorpion; if it didn't show up in the Port mission, then it's a bug.  I seem to remember it working fine the last time I played through the Port.

Offline CaptJosh

Why didn't it come up with the "Now we know they can be killed message" the first time around? And why didn't it show the "Bonus objective completed" as well as the communication that it showed the second time around?
CaptJosh

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
There's a specific Scorpion that bonus message is linked to. It doesn't care if you attack any of the others.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline CaptJosh

Which one? I want to kill that one instead of the last one.
CaptJosh

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Er, it is the last one. The one that hangs around after all the others have left.

We'll fix it so killing any Shivan validates the bonus.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline CaptJosh

Ok, I'm confused. When I killed that last shivan that hung around, it gave me a communication from one of my wingmen that "Now we know we can kill them", but it didn't give me the "Bonus objective completed" message above the reticle. Yet when I had my wingmen defend the Plato and it made it to the jump point I got the bonus objective, but no "Now we know we can kill them" communication. So which shivan fulfilled the bonus? It doesn't seem to have been the last one...
CaptJosh

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The message only appears if you kill the last Shivan that hangs around.  However the bonus goal is satisfied if you kill any Shivans in the second wing:

Code: [Select]
$Type: Bonus
+Name: Kill Unknown
$MessageNew:  XSTR("Destroy any unknown fighter.", -1)
$end_multi_text
$Formula: ( or
   ( is-destroyed-delay 0 "Unknown 5" )
   ( is-destroyed-delay 0 "Unknown 6" )
   ( is-destroyed-delay 0 "Unknown 7" )
   ( is-destroyed-delay 0 "Unknown 8" )
)
+Score: 200

We'll just fix it so that the message is triggered when the bonus goal is satisfied and not merely when Unknown 5 is destroyed.

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
we have an automatic converter
Gimme!
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's been in FRED since 3.6.

Offline CaptJosh

I understand that. I guess I just didn't understand why the two were seperate in the first place. Of course, I was very tired when I posted, and had been living with a headache all yesterday. Not at all pleasant, and not conducive to thinking.

Side note. While I can't target the Shivans, I can target the bombs from the Shaitan bomber. I suppose fixing it so that I couldn't target that would require an extra bomb type, though...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 01:08:06 pm by 2993 »
CaptJosh

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
It's been in FRED since 3.6.
That don't work w/ retail, y'know.
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Selectah
That don't work w/ retail, y'know.
Right.  It was a new feature we added in the SCP.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Of course if you set FRED2_Open's save settings to Retail, it doesn't really matter. :)

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Of course if you set FRED2_Open's save settings to Retail, it doesn't really matter.
Okay, I finally managed to get the 3.6.5 Debug version working. I'm naturally not sure who's maintaining the SCP site, but the link that should point to FRED2_Open 3.6.5, doesn't. Seemingly, FRED2_Open can only save the missions as FS2, not FSM. Is that correct?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 04:18:09 am by 3106 »
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Oh! No, we don't have support for making FS1 missions in there.

Offline CaptJosh

Where the heck are those reinforcements?
I'm not sure if this is a bug, so I figured I'd ask before complaining. Am I supposed to not be able to call in Delta wing in "A Small Deadly Space when playing on medium difficulty? The briefing specifically says they're available and to not hesitate to call them in if I need them, yet when I tried to call them, the reinforcements option was not available in my comms panel. Thoughts?
CaptJosh

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
In the ported mission, the arrival cue for Delta Wing is set to 'false'. This means that the reinforcement is never available. In the original mission, the arrival cue is set to 'true', meaning that the reinforcement is available. Yes, it's a bug.
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Yes, yes, we know. I'm going to merge this with the FS1 Bugs thread.