Author Topic: Supreme Commander 2  (Read 19565 times)

Offline Mikes

Re: Supreme Commander 2
I have an idea, lets make a game that focuses on a small number of units in a small region that does not focus on resource management and lets call it supreme commander 2.

I would dig another ground control style game, no matter what it was called.

What has me worried is their mentioning of an "RPG" aspect.
Sounds more like a Supcom/Demigod concept crossover or something along the lines of the DOW2 single player campaign.

What it doesn't sound like is a sequel in the spirit of the original Supcommander which so many fans have been hoping for blah.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I have an idea, lets make a game that focuses on a small number of units in a small region that does not focus on resource management and lets call it supreme commander 2.

I would dig another ground control style game, no matter what it was called.

What has me worried is their mentioning of an "RPG" aspect.
Sounds more like a Supcom/Demigod concept crossover or something along the lines of the DOW2 single player campaign.

What it doesn't sound like is a sequel in the spirit of the original Supcommander which so many fans have been hoping for blah.
the E3 teaser reveal video looks similiar to the first one (1000+unit armies)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
New E3 vid up at games trailer http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-supreme-commander/51077 It looks pretty good for a pre pre alpha although i can't help but think it reminds me of other games, red alert 3 where you got the russian transport that fires out units and something about the it also reminds me of DOW2 but not sure what.

Edit: Heres part 2 http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-supreme-commander/51075 . The experimentals look cool, i really like CybranZilla! Its a Ziod!! hope they keep it in  :nod:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:02:03 am by starbug »
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Mikes

Seen the E3 Teaser... the maps look horribly familiar lol.

Looks disturbingly like they threw 3d "terrain" completely out of the window and you get Demigod style 2d-maps with lots of irrelevant graphical bling around them instead /sigh.

Hope that showcase map is an exception.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:26:04 am by Mikes »

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Bloody...it looks like they've gone for a more comic book look. I'm not sure I like the new designs, especially the UEF ACU they showcased...yet there is something about a giant robotic Cybran dinosaur that appeals to me.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I am hoping that they change the terrain as Chris Taylor said it was pre pre pre alpha so i think it will change. I mean when i first saw the early screen shots of SC1 i thought it was 2d! I just want them to keep that Cybran Dino  :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Mikes

I am hoping that they change the terrain as Chris Taylor said it was pre pre pre alpha so i think it will change. I mean when i first saw the early screen shots of SC1 i thought it was 2d! I just want them to keep that Cybran Dino  :D

An armored cyber Dino... that breathes fire. Frankly, ... no i don't think i can even put that kind of disgust into words. ;)
That one tops even sharks with frigging lazer eyes in sillyness ...  which makes me wonder what the Cybran have for navy now LOL.

Still, if gameplay is right, it would only be a minor complaint of course heh.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:55:48 am by Mikes »

I am hoping that they change the terrain as Chris Taylor said it was pre pre pre alpha so i think it will change. I mean when i first saw the early screen shots of SC1 i thought it was 2d! I just want them to keep that Cybran Dino  :D

All the textures defintely looked pre pre alpha. I'm sure they'll improve. Look at that scan from the magazine a couple pages back. Terrain looks way better.

It would be cool if each faction had several ACUs with different tech trees, so you can get an exact match to your play style.

One of the problems I had with supreme commander was theres only one way to win, which is the way almost all RTS's make you win: Massive Tech 3 and Expiremental spam. Just roll a huge army over their base. It would be cool if there were other ways.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

What the frak is wrong with T3 and Experimental spam?  That's some of the coolest units of all time there.  At least the experimentals are.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
One of the problems I had with supreme commander was theres only one way to win, which is the way almost all RTS's make you win: Massive Tech 3 and Expiremental spam. Just roll a huge army over their base. It would be cool if there were other ways.

There is no problem in SupCom's singleplayer that cannot be solved with a pair of SCUs/one ACU, and five T3 artillery.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I know, but no matter what you do, you can only finally win through brute force... at least, on multiplayer.

Offline Mikes

In multiplayer that statement would be outright false and/or an indicator for a very very ... very novice player ;)

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
In the expansion's singleplayer campaign, I played normally until towards the end I felt like doing something differently.  It's kinda sad how well it worked:

I bumrushed the enemy with my ACU, taking almost 100% damage but freeing an SCU.  I put time compression on and upgraded both to be fit for their maximum combat potential, then rampaged around, destroying various outposts.  Eventually I went back to the spot that normally would have been my base, noticing that I was not attacked.  At all.  I was basically ignored by the large T3 assault base in the corner even though I was stomping around outposts for half an hour.  Once at my base spot, I made a huge array of t3 generators and fabricators, shielded it all, and surrounded it by SAM sites, t2 defense, tactical missile defense, and a strategic missile defense building.  I didn't even build a factory, and I completely skipped to t3, and I was still getting away with all of it.  Eventually I got attacked, but by then I had all of the defenses set up so it mattered not.  I never even built engineers; I had an army of SCU's ready to do my bidding.  With the Paragon built, I was pumping out Galactic Colossus experimentals every 30 seconds.  QAI didn't stand a chance...  I laughed at the side quest option to free the galactic colossus on a little island, considering I already had 20 stomping around.

You can do ANYTHING to the AI.

I tried this same tactic on hard, and it was a bit more difficult, but I still managed to do it.

Offline Mikes

You have to realize that in the campaign you are not even really playing against an "AI player" but rather it simply puts you through some scripted events... that it allows you as a player to trigger these events makes the campaign indeed too easy because it basically allows you to "slum" around and built up an army of doom before triggering the next "event".

The Singleplayer "Campaign" is indeed little else than a heavily scripted tutorial, but... so what ?;)
The games lasting appeal comes from the superb multiplayer battles.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:43:56 am by Mikes »

Offline dANGER boy

• New and improved, v2.0
    • Vortex Research & Design
I liked the campaign, even if it was heavily scripted.  If you want a challenge you can do it yourself.  Put it on hard and then trigger the events before you get your army of doom.

And the whole economy thing...Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander's economy were perfect.  One of the reasons why I don't play RTS games like StarCraft and WarCraft are because of their resource systems.  You spend way too much time mining and worrying about limited resources that you lose the combat portion of it.  If you want micromanagement in resources, play those.  SupCom is about strategic combat, not tactical combat and micromanagement.

I hope they don't go too crazy with the whole "level-up" thing.  This is a strategy game, not an RPG.  That's probably one of the reasons why I'm hesitant about Square Enix doing this...I hope it doesn't turn out like another lame, Asian Final Fantasy.  I've discovered that most Asian developers these days all have lame plots and terrible anime art for 13-year olds.
[21:39] * Now talking in #hard-light
[21:39] <Zacam> Dear. God.
[21:39] * dANGER_boy is now known as God
[21:39] <God> Yes, I'm here
[21:39] <Zacam> I'd like to file a bug report.
[21:40] * thesizzler is now known as Jesus
[21:40] <Jesus> sup
[21:40] <God> Check with my secretary.
[21:40] <Jesus> hey dad
[21:40] <Zacam> Regarding the INANE flaws in human intelligence and the equality (or disparity) therof.
[21:40] * God points at Jesus
[21:40] * mura is now known as WhitePidgeon
[21:40] <+WhitePidgeon> kuuuuu

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I liked the campaign, even if it was heavily scripted.  If you want a challenge you can do it yourself.  Put it on hard and then trigger the events before you get your army of doom.

And the whole economy thing...Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander's economy were perfect.  One of the reasons why I don't play RTS games like StarCraft and WarCraft are because of their resource systems.  You spend way too much time mining and worrying about limited resources that you lose the combat portion of it.  If you want micromanagement in resources, play those.  SupCom is about strategic combat, not tactical combat and micromanagement.

I hope they don't go too crazy with the whole "level-up" thing.  This is a strategy game, not an RPG.  That's probably one of the reasons why I'm hesitant about Square Enix doing this...I hope it doesn't turn out like another lame, Asian Final Fantasy.  I've discovered that most Asian developers these days all have lame plots and terrible anime art for 13-year olds.
my 'problem' with the way the upgrades appear to work it that they just magicially appear on the units across the board, personally i'd rather see that an engie or unit with repair suite (cybran T1 spiderbot...) preform the upgrade ofter you unlock it w/purchase.
and then have Tech levels simply removed, the upgrades would be relay buildings to DL the upgrade schematics.

What's so special about the new UEF gunship? It seems to be the posterboy for SC2, as opposed to the UEF ACU (Which actually made sense as a posterboy)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What's so special about the new UEF gunship? It seems to be the posterboy for SC2, as opposed to the UEF ACU (Which actually made sense as a posterboy)

Dude, the Uriel is the greatest thing the UEF has going for -

oh!

:nervous:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
UEF gunships before the nerf...good times, good times...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Shutup mister redtext.

Anyone have a scan or something of that recent PC Gamer article? I can't find it online.

Also, I noticed from those recently released screenshots that you're fighting in some sort of city. Two comments on that:

1) Sweet! All the ones from the original were open land. This'll be cool.
and
2) Man, that looks suspiciously like Capella from the FA intro...