Author Topic: Starman's WingCommander Models Thread (Image Heavy)  (Read 26236 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Starman's WingCommander Models Thread (Image Heavy)
I would love to get the light of murrada if you don't mind ;) The story is not so important, I will make one up for myself ;) I still have your eagle class on the harddisk, maybe this one also deserve a comeback :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Oh ya the Eagle... I've got a pic of it.  Also there's my Victory class carrier.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline starlord

deathsnake, if you need battleships, I suppose there are those from arena (kiranka and indomitable)... :D

Also, regarding the nephilim, I wonder, would their cluster ships work under the SCP engine? (the ray cluster, the skate cluster and the stingray cluster)? is it feasable?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
The ray cluster not, but the others two yes, with some creative scripting and modelling there will be certainly something useable possible :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline starlord

would there be absolutely no workaround regarding the ray cluster (just our of curiosity)? the vishnan sacred keeper featured those orbiting platforms around it, and perhaps after the ray is destroyed the independant remoras could be triggered to appear...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
the vishnan sacred keeper featured those orbiting platforms around it

Wwwwwwait...are you thinking of the Preserver?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, I certainly don't know all the features that are now possible since I was away quite some time, but so far I don't know of any way to simulate the ray cluster.

Currently there are two workaround / hacks that I can think of. The ray babies are all build into on subobject that I can let rotate around the mainbody. Shortly before undocking I switch to another model and unleash the babies. Problem: It's not possible to place guns on rotating parts, so the babies wouldn't fire as long as they are docked

Second option I can think of : I use the multidocking feature and dock all babies as single object on the motherbody. That way, they wont "rotate", but I can make them fire (via a trick, the gunmounts are placed on the motherbody, which I will disable once the babies are undocked). Also they can undock with no problem and I don't have to make a "alternative" model.

Currently, I'm favouring the second option. Personally I can forfeit the rotating part.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline starlord

sorry: the preserver, of course! :lol:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:01:18 am by starlord »

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
So, it's finally done (50 hours of work). There are two models that I always wanted to create in high detail, one is the Vesuvius, and the other one is the midway, the ladder was done first :)

Actually, it was intended for the freespace engine, but I overgreebled it to much (but I want it to look good). Now the model has around 330 K polygons, that's too much for a model I think and I doubt it will be able to make it ingame, detailbox yes or no. Maybe when the time comes, I can change the greebles a bit and maybe use normalmaps instead, if they are look good enough. But it's very big, and I don't know if normalmap is a good idea for such big details (see size compare shot). Nevertheless, this is the biggest model I ever made, and I push Truespace 5 to the limits even displaying it :D

Some of you might think why some parts lack the detail, but WC Models are not very detailed, which I actually find good. For a (war) spaceship it's more important to have armorplates than windows, just like today warships :)

I hope you like it :)  

Here are some more detail images :

Original Picture without Forum scrolling

Frontpart left :

Left Launchtubes (Exits) :

Sidegreebles :

Downside left Launchtubes :

Front :

Back/Up :

Back/Down :

Some weapons (6 Missile Launcher, 25 dual mounted Laserturrets)

Bridgetower and Nameplate (image some floodlights left and right of the name):

Left Hangar entrance :

Overgreebled : :)

Lower Bridge Section :

Size comparison :

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:57:10 am by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Awesome, I think that as long as you'll be carefull with textures and FRED missions in which there's only one, it could go into game.
I noticed that it doesn't have the Nephilim plasma cannon, can you make a version that has it?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
How about moving some of those greebles into a normal map?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
...nephelim plasma canon...

I'm not sure, I always thought it look bad, and I hated the idea they even adapted that weapon. I'm mean, seriously, they are lightyears away from the next spacedock, and they quickly adapt a 500 meter long (!!) weapon from an foreign, unknown alien technic and glued them to the ship. Does this sound right for you ? I mean, how the **** did they build that one out of the shipkiller, or even move the weapon part around :) Also, that "crystal" destroyes the entire look. So I doubt I'm gonna do that, sorry man :)

How about moving some of those greebles into a normal map?

Yep, something like that. But the greebles are ingame actually quite big, so I'm not sure a normal map will give a good enough look. And all the detail is only stuck in LOD0
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:52:23 am by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It made little sense, but it's canon anyway.
When making a campaign based on WCP (or occuring after it), somebody may like to have the version with cannon.
It can even be a separate model attached via dockpoint.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
We will see. If the midway has a sister ship, I will use that one instead :)  Dockpoint is a good idea, wouldn't be to hard adding that crystal
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
The Midway looks awesome. I think with a high resolution normalmap you can replace lots of the grebble
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Thanks :) Well, simple said, I have absolut no experience with normal maps. I know, that they can simulated structur that is only "drawn", and works quite good for the small details on fighters, but will it work on something so big ? You know how big the midway is, take a look at this closeup shot. Can a normalmap create a suitable illusion of this ? If so, that would be awesome of course.

MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

That had better be just an example...  :D
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
We will see :) Next is the Vesuvius :)

BTW; this here will be renamed into the TCS Mistrael See, CVX-2
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, sofar I haven't started it , because I modelling now the Battletech stuff. But if you want any of these models for your projekt, tell me. You will have to find someone to finish them though :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
TCS Mistrael See?
I always thought that CVX-02 was named TCS Coral Sea.
It'd make sense if they were both named after important WWII battles on Pacific.