Poll

Would you like to play a demo of NTV or you prefer to wait until the main campaigns is done?

Yes
34 (70.8%)
No
9 (18.8%)
I don't know...
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: A New NTV Demo?  (Read 18941 times)

If we release a demo pack it'll contain at least the first 5 missions of the main NTV campaign. Most of these missions are now WIP, so don't worry... :)

Sounds good.  I just don't like when developers put a lot of effort into a demo that is a prequel to the story, when all that does is delay progress on the actual game.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
If we release a demo pack it'll contain at least the first 5 missions of the main NTV campaign. Most of these missions are now WIP, so don't worry... :)

Sounds good.  I just don't like when developers put a lot of effort into a demo that is a prequel to the story, when all that does is delay progress on the actual game.
Agreed.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

I would also like to see a demo. The old one is now super buggy and I don't want to put the effort into getting it to work. As for the two people who voted no, might I ask, why?
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
I would also like to see a demo. The old one is now super buggy and I don't want to put the effort into getting it to work. As for the two people who voted no, might I ask, why?
Didn't want anything spoiled for the main campaign I guess. Is there a working link to the old demo? I wouldn't mind taking a peek at it.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

hm, i would've liked a side campaign or something, set at the beginning of the rebellion. i always wanted to know how they pulled it off. maybe introduce a couple of characters that in the main campaign are veteran commander, etc.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Didn't want anything spoiled for the main campaign I guess. Is there a working link to the old demo? I wouldn't mind taking a peek at it.
The main download page. http://ntv.hard-light.net/ntvdloads.htm

EDIT: Great. Now you got me interested. Now my inexpliciable need to fix everything computer related is becoming irrestible. Guess now I have to fix it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:50:04 pm by carbine7 »
~Nighteyes

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
hm, i would've liked a side campaign or something, set at the beginning of the rebellion. i always wanted to know how they pulled it off. maybe introduce a couple of characters that in the main campaign are veteran commander, etc.

We may create a side campaign in the future, set during the beginning of the rebellion...I said "in the future" because the team wants to stick with a main campaign plotline that, at least at the very beginning, is as much close as possible to the one of the main FS2 campaign. In other words, NTV will begin during the Battle of Deneb(the second one :D) and the player's effort will help changing the course of events. Obviously, don't expect the NTF to crush the whole GTVA fleet and conquer TV space because it'd be nearly impossible - we'd rather go for plausible compromises.

You will also see in-game cutscenes like jumping sequences to other sectors of a given system. I planned to keep the use of cutscenes to acceptable levels(if I will ever release Steadfast you'll find out what pure cutscened missions are) to preserve the immersion. The result may be something that takes its distance from FS2 gameplay, but the atmosphere will be pretty much the same... :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Well, fixing the demo seems hopeless. It always says "Missing [at least] 5 ship classes" when loading any mission, the Cyrene always shows up as the dreaded Ulysses model of doom, Subach-7s are invisible, and no cap-ships have any engine effects, only the wash. All of this stuff happens regardless of what build and/or media vps I run it with. Oh well. Dragon, could you try it and see if you get the same errors, just so I don't feel alone :(
~Nighteyes

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever

We may create a side campaign in the future, set during the beginning of the rebellion...I said "in the future" because the team wants to stick with a main campaign plotline that, at least at the very beginning, is as much close as possible to the one of the main FS2 campaign. In other words, NTV will begin during the Battle of Deneb(the second one :D) and the player's effort will help changing the course of events. Obviously, don't expect the NTF to crush the whole GTVA fleet and conquer TV space because it'd be nearly impossible - we'd rather go for plausible compromises.

You will also see in-game cutscenes like jumping sequences to other sectors of a given system. I planned to keep the use of cutscenes to acceptable levels(if I will ever release Steadfast you'll find out what pure cutscened missions are) to preserve the immersion. The result may be something that takes its distance from FS2 gameplay, but the atmosphere will be pretty much the same... :)

Does that mean that we will encounter the GTVA's/FS2's Alpha 1 and get to kill him/her ?

ok, lets stop before be get this thread split, or worse. locked.

Nah...I prefer to delete posts.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:48:42 am by Mobius »
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
yes *cracks whip*

From the looks of things I guess the demo's a go :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nuclear1

Actually, I think the plan was to kill 4lpha 1 actually. :D
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

yes *cracks whip*

From the looks of things I guess the demo's a go :P
I would hope so
~Nighteyes

Offline eliex

I'd like a new demo, but only if you can manage it.  :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The team will take the result of the poll in serious consideration, very special thanks to the one who have

This thread has served its purpose. :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]