Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270449 times)

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Welp, stage 1 of community warfare finally happened.

Anyone want to bother trying to form the Hard Light Brigade?
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Clan Hard Light, freebirth barbarian!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Welp, stage 1 of community warfare finally happened.

Anyone want to bother trying to form the Hard Light Brigade?
404 not found :(
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Not sure how TT & MW3 stats compare to each other, but a big problem in 3 was that shot leg = mech down. I think the cheesiest way to beat the game was to load your mech 4 ER Large Laser & nothing but heatsinks and snipe every legged vehicle in sight. PPC, Gauss & big-ass AC also worked rather well, if you knew how to handle them.

There is however something brilliant about a mech game accidentally recreating the thing that makes mechs pointless in real life.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Not sure how TT & MW3 stats compare to each other, but a big problem in 3 was that shot leg = mech down. I think the cheesiest way to beat the game was to load your mech 4 ER Large Laser & nothing but heatsinks and snipe every legged vehicle in sight. PPC, Gauss & big-ass AC also worked rather well, if you knew how to handle them.

There is however something brilliant about a mech game accidentally recreating the thing that makes mechs pointless in real life.

I know, right?  'Mechs are totally pointless because of the possibility they could be immobilized.  This is why tanks' tracks are the most protected part of the vehicle, and are never damaged enough to prevent their mobility.

Oh, wait.

Tank tracks are rather easier to fix than a severed robotic limb, and don't have the side effects of causing your tank to immediately go face-first into the ground when destroyed with all the possible damage that will cause or hindering its ability to rotate its main weapons into a position to engage an enemy.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's much easier to slap thick armor on a leg than on a track, though. On a tank, even an Abrams, any hit to the thread with an AT weapon is pretty much a guaranteed mobility kill. To blow out a mech's leg, you'd likely need to hit a joint, because poking a hole in the armor itself somewhere on the leg could not suffice (as long as it's not weakened too much, it'll still support the mech's weigh). Not to mention legs do provide a mobility advantage to small mechs (though anything above MW "light" category would be questionable at best), a tank can't drive through dense foilage, rubble or over barricades, while mechs could easily step over those. The real problem is that legs require an incredibly and precise fast computer just to figure out how to best move them. Humans already come with one, but replicating those capabilities is though. That's why MW uses neurohelmets, the pilot's brain controls the servos, meaning that problem is out of the way.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Tank tracks are rather easier to fix than a severed robotic limb, and don't have the side effects of causing your tank to immediately go face-first into the ground when destroyed with all the possible damage that will cause or hindering its ability to rotate its main weapons into a position to engage an enemy.

No, but the difference in traction on either side will immediately slew you toward the side that lost the track (and potentially into things).  While comparatively less common nowadays, there are also these things called "casemates" that do the whole gun away from enemy thing.

Can we please avoid bringing supposedly real world concepts into a science fiction game about big stompy robots now?

It's a bit poor to say "this discussion is pointless and stupid, everyone move on" right after you've said your piece about it. Nevertheless it is indeed not worth flying off on a tangent because of one snarky remark.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

Let's not bring realism into this.  Mechs don't work in real life and never will because mathematics don't work out in their favor.  Specifically the square-cube law and simple surface area/volume ratios.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Clan Hard Light, freebirth barbarian!

is that still going on?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I dunno.  I was suggesting it just because I still tend to enjoy this game, and would like to get a group going (because pugging is lonely and most other groups I've dropped with have internal drama I want no part in).
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im kinda interested in joining up if there are enough players.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Patriot

Would we have something along the lines of a TeamSpeak or Raidcall or whatever server/channel/thingy?

I MIGHT just get back into this, the Hunchbacks in my Mechbay must be feeling pretty lonely right about now

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i got 2 ravens (one with ecm), 3 catapults, a banshee, a kitfox (ecm), and currently saving up for a nova. i can boat, brawl and scout.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:34:09 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Aesaar

Contemplating reinstalling this.  I think I've got ~9000MC leftover from my Founder's package.  May as well use it.

Is it enough for a Timberwolf?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
think so. not sure.

doesnt look like timberwolfs are for mc yet, but you can get a direwolf with that.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:41:36 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I almost have two whole companies worth of mechs...  mostly heavy stuff.

If we do make the unit, quick question: Clan or IS alignment?

So I played a few matches after a break of several weeks and since when has it become pointless to play in a medium mech? Somehow only 10 to 15% of players decide to play mediums, but 70 to 80% play heavies and assaults.
As support the medium is now worthless, since there are almost no agile mediums and lights around from which I could protect the heavies and assaults.
My last games went like this: After the drop all four lances meet and move as one blob against the enemy, who does the same. The two or three lights, which are in each company are fast enough to evade most of the time the fire from the six to eight heavies and assaults. Me, in my Shadowhawk or Hunchback, make one false move out of cover and get shredded by two or three Dire-Wolfs after three minutes mission time. Yay....
Why do I have the feeling that Clan and IS are not balanced...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm pretty sure the Daishi is currently on trial. For that matter, I know your percentages are off because they very strictly incentivize playing matches in certain weight classes by simply not giving you a match if they can't find one with any empty slot for your weight, and the highest I've ever seen any percentage was heavies at 33%.

Under the current public matchmaking system it's literally impossible to have a match with 80% heavy/assault. Every lance is 1/1/1/1 for weight class.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story