Author Topic: RELEASE - Shivans  (Read 39792 times)

Offline aRaven

When I first read about this campaign, I thought I would fight as a Shivan. Sadly it isn'T about that. Is there any campaign where you are fighting as a shivan? would be great to be on the other side ^^

Offline Vretsu

Woot, I've completed both campaigns.

That was excellent!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
When I first read about this campaign, I thought I would fight as a Shivan. Sadly it isn'T about that. Is there any campaign where you are fighting as a shivan? would be great to be on the other side ^^

There were many in progress, but all of them are now stagnant or dead.

Offline Vretsu

Probably for the best. I can't see anyone pulling off a Shivan campaign without it being extremely forced and awkward.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Perhaps.

Offline Vretsu

For example, how would you do the Shivan briefings?  :p

You could either do it in plain english...

"The trespassers must die! Burn them all!"

"Primary Objectives: Kill 'dem!"

...which would be extremely stupid, no matter how fluffy or ornate the writing was, or you could try for realism...

"SKREEEEE SKREEEE SKREEEEEEEEEEEE"

SKREEE: SKREEEEEEEE"

...which...yeah.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I guess all briefings would be subtitled cutscenes... :D

I actually did play one mission once where you played as a Shivan. it wasn't all that bad, apart from the fact that your wing mates were Terran :wtf:. The briefing was weird, something along the lines of "Incoming Terran trespassers. Neutralize threat immediately". Go figure... :rolleyes:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

There seem to be serious balance issues in the two last missions of Echo Gate on Medium difficulty... My wingmen are slaughtered very quickly, leaving me to fight hordes of shivans with just one wingman who is only hanging on because he's been made invulnerable (and in the last mission, he got disabled...).

They're supposed to be challenging, after all. If your wingmen are getting killed, don't just C-3-9 all the time. You know you're wingmen can't handle themselves, so C-3-8 to keep them together and close to you. And if you really want them to survive, try to protect them yourself.

Or, play on Insane, the way the game was meant to be played. So you'll die before your wingmen do, and if not, then you'll learn how to play the game better.  :yes: It's all simple tricks and common sense, keep your wingmen together, avoid flak if possible, stay near friendly capship flak... it "only" took me three tries to beat the last mission. Use those harbingers!

As for a Shivan briefing, the FS2 tech description implies that Shivans are basically machines. The ones we saw in Hallfight might not even be "normal" Shivans, but a special type of hand-to-hand combat unit with an exoskeleton. So the briefings would be straightforward instructions, like you'd give to a machine. "Four wings of Terran bombers are incoming. Destroy them. X and Y wings will support you." If not that, then the campaign would take place from the perspective of the Shivan hive-mind, and the briefings would be little more than a situation update.

and the briefings would be little more than a situation update.

One could argue that's all a briefing ever is... :p
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The ones we saw in Hallfight might not even be "normal" Shivans, but a special type of hand-to-hand combat unit with an exoskeleton.
:v: have specifically stated that the Shivans are what we see in Hall Fight.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They stated that those weren't Shivans in power armor or similar. Not that those are the only kind of Shivans. Because they're all living in cybernetic bodies now the existence of variants cannot be so easily ruled out.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

i believe that last sentence was best proved by the borg. technology changes over time, there would obviously be enhancements the newer "versions" would have that would effect their appearence. also, there would probably be different "versions" for different tasks, and rank in the hive

Offline Fabian

• AI Code Modulator
    Temporal Mechanic
They're supposed to be challenging, after all. If your wingmen are getting killed, don't just C-3-9 all the time. You know you're wingmen can't handle themselves, so C-3-8 to keep them together and close to you. And if you really want them to survive, try to protect them yourself.

Not for this special mission, but:

What I also really like to do is to either assign 1-on-1 pair teams that are protecting themselves or a whole circle.

Beta 1 protects Beta2, Beta 2 protects Beta 3, ..., Beta 4 protects Beta 1

or

Circle as above, but Beta 4 protects to-protect-ship. This way all will stay near together and have one goal, but will still be well protected.

Especially the 1-1 works well, because the enemy can no longer sneak behind a fighter so easily:

- Beta 1 <- protect -> Beta 2

Enemy sneaks behind Beta 1, Beta 2 notices it and attacks Beta 1s attacker, Beta1s attacker goes to attack Beta 2 and tries to sneak behind, but so Beta 1 catches up and destroys attacker together with Beta 2.

cu

Fabian

but that takes way to much time to set up in-mission, and usually there dead before you have time to do it. better them then you though.

Very clever. In fact, with use of SEXPs, I think I can make that happen at mission start to spare the player the trouble. It prevents the AI from ganging up on one target like it usually does, as far as I can see, which is going to make your wingmen a lot smarter. Thanks for the tip. :yes:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
About the Shivans:

Quote from: SM1-05 (Mystery of the Trinity) Command Briefing
Though Shivans demonstrate considerable diversity as a species, all Shivan technology...

To me, this states that there are Shivan variants.

Good find, Snail! That's a pretty significant statement. Even if it was likely just some sound-cool, they'll-forget-about-it BS.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Mirror'd

Shivans
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz