Author Topic: RELEASE - Shivans  (Read 39774 times)

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
It's been long enough in the making.

Two voice-acted mini-campaigns set during the Great War, both about the Shivans.

Requires FSOpen, the Freespace Port and Lightspeed's Background Nebulas.

My thanks to those who lent me their voices for this enterprise - see readme.txt for detailed accreditation. Also to Ion Storm for Anachronox.

Download brshivans.rar at http://hosted.filefront.com/BlaiseRussel

Hope you like it.

Offline Dysko

Wow! Downloading now.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Yay! More Shivan-based campaigns!  :D
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Where do i get the Lightspeed nebulas? :confused: I found them before but they were in a zip file and i didnt know what to do with them!

Heya I got a question here.    I don't know if i made a mistake, but every mission i'm on my weapons are just disrupters???

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm having some difficulties getting this to run.

I have the folder called 'shivans' and all the appropriate content.  It's selected in my mod tab. 

I have the -mod Pri1,moddir,Sec1, flag.

The mod.ini file looks like this: 

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,Fs1_port_3,mediavps;

But I don't get either media vps or the campaigns themselves when I launch - only vanilla FS2.  I think the problem lies in my command line.  Any tips? 

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Filefront's giving me a load of bull**** saying there's an error with my connection or that i have multiple connections being established to the filefront server. :mad:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline neoterran

Alright Blaise ! You rock. Super psyched to play anything you do man, much thanks for still contributing to the community!

One thing I like about you is you recognize the importance of voice acting in a campaign.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline neoterran

I'm having some difficulties getting this to run.

I have the folder called 'shivans' and all the appropriate content.  It's selected in my mod tab. 

I have the -mod Pri1,moddir,Sec1, flag.

The mod.ini file looks like this: 

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,Fs1_port_3,mediavps;

But I don't get either media vps or the campaigns themselves when I launch - only vanilla FS2.  I think the problem lies in my command line.  Any tips? 

if you have 3.6.9 and the 3.6.8zetas + taylors patches, your secondrylist can look like this :

secondarylist = Fs1_port_3,mediavps;

I would also highly recommend using port 3.04
Chief Grognard.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Heya I got a question here.    I don't know if i made a mistake, but every mission i'm on my weapons are just disrupters???

Agreed, wtf?

[EDIT] And apparently once again Blaise has forgotten that we're not supposed to strain to hear the pilot's dialogue. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline neoterran

1.) I don't have this problem with disruptors ?

2.) Change the balance of effects and music to voice
Chief Grognard.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Filefront's giving me a load of bull**** saying there's an error with my connection or that i have multiple connections being established to the filefront server. :mad:

I get it from time to time myself.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I smell a highlight coming on. :pimp:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Hah, even though I had nothing but disruptors in Phantoms, I was still able to finish it. Echo Gate too, but I didn't have to deal with Disruptors then.

Offline Dysko

Just finished both of them. Awesome work. :yes: :yes: :yes:

BTW, I had the Disruptor problem in Phantoms too, while in the missions there are also ML-16 available. Maybe the ML-16s are not "allowed" in the campaign editor? :confused:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline neoterran

I'm playing Echo Gate, and enjoying it. Great job.

Also Echo Gate had great voice acting, good job everyone   :nod:
Chief Grognard.

Offline Slime

• Mucous-y
Something from Blaise Russel? This means I have to download a campaign, again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Very, very cool. :) Excellent work as usual, BR.

A few things...

1) Now that a few people have mentioned it, I did think the voice acting was a little quiet.  You might want to bump up the volume a little bit when you run the filters.  I had to skew my volume settings pretty drastically to get some of the in-mission messages audible above the music.

2) On the voice acting front, I suppose I should have mentioned this before, but did you see the Voice Acting Manager feature in the recent FRED builds from the HEAD branch?

3) In both your campaign files, you allow the "ML-16" as a weapon, but its name in weapons.tbl is actually "ML-16 Laser".  This is why everybody only had Disruptors available.

4) The debriefing OGG files for Echo Gate seem to be missing.  Did you forget to include them?

5) Were you going to have Darkblade do the debriefing persona messages so that you could allow promotions and badges?

6) Amadeus.fs2 isn't included in the Phantoms campaign.  Was that a mistake, or did you intend it as a separate standalone mission?

7) You might want to double check your date format.  Most missions have mm/dd/yy, but amadeus.fs2 has dd/mm/yy.  Whichever you pick, it should be consistent.

8a) I was unhappy with the fact that you made the Shivan fighters invulnerable.  I was hoping to exploit my 1337 knowledge of Disruptors and Furys. :(

8b) On a more serious note, I'm pretty sure that the "fire at a fighter to distract it" tactic doesn't work with invulnerable fighters.  They need to take some damage before they'll break off and chase you.  During "Strange Bedfellows", I was pounding on a Shaitan the entire time he was shooting an escape pod, and he didn't turn away until the pod was destroyed.

Oh, and highlighted. :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:07:59 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
50Mb? for a mini-campaing?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline neoterran

50Mb? for a mini-campaing?

Yah, voice acting.
Chief Grognard.