Author Topic: Halo4 Soundtrack Discussion  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Halo4 Soundtrack Discussion
I was always a big Halo fan, the only game I ever played semi-professional. Loved Halo Combat Evolved on my PC, despite the somewhat problematic level design in the second half, this game created a flow that I never had seen before in a shooter. It played incredible and the mechanics (while standard today) were awesome back then. And there was the soundtrack, perfectly designed to play besides the action.
Recently bought a cheap used Xbox to finally play the other games besides Halo 1 and 2 (and 2 wasn't that good) and loved them too, especially Reach. While I continue to play the first one online and do not accept that I have to pay something for playing online with anyone on Xbox :nono: , I felt these games grew ever stronger, especially because of the evolving soundtrack, hitting different tones for every game.

IGN has some samples from the new game, which continues the trend from the brilliant Reach Soundtrack to go in a different direction. This time however, it's done without the brilliant Marty O’Donnell. plenty of Halo 4 OST Samples

What do you think?

Personally, I am more than satisfied. It is driving, pulsing, it is brilliant.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Re: Halo4 Soundtrack Discussion
Sounds pretty cool, but doesn't quite sound Halo to me. Kind of more like Halo meets Metroid Prime meets MGS2 soundtracks, with some untz untz untz for good measure. I really liked that track Haven at the end there and now I want to hear the original.

Also, in b4 a bunch of people feel the need to tell everyone they didn't like Halo.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
what's with Reach, redsniper? Did that sounded like Halo to you? I think they changed the feel when ODST came out.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well, ODST and Reach (especially ODST) had a definitely different atmosphere from the trilogy, and this was intended. No wonder the relevant soundtracks do reflect this difference.

Different or not, I do not mind. I actually appreciate. You can say whatever you want about the Halo series as a whole, in term of gameplay, in term of community, whatever you may like or dislike, but they still have beautiful and immersive soundtracks.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Not caring much for these samples. They just sound weak; stripped of the awe that filled the other soundtracks. They sound like something I would expect out of a call of duty soundtrack, or a Hollywood summer film.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Well, ODST and Reach (especially ODST) had a definitely different atmosphere from the trilogy, and this was intended. No wonder the relevant soundtracks do reflect this difference.

Different or not, I do not mind. I actually appreciate. You can say whatever you want about the Halo series as a whole, in term of gameplay, in term of community, whatever you may like or dislike, but they still have beautiful and immersive soundtracks.

For starters, they didn't have the Flood in either of them

Which brings me to my next tidbit: The change in music to reflect who you're up against was brilliant. When the Flood came in, and the music changed to that eerie style, it reminded me a little of the Dead Space soundtracks (I played Halo after I played DS, sue me)

These for me, seem like they'll fit along with what you're up against
"No"

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
They sound like something I would expect out of a call of duty soundtrack, or a Hollywood summer film.

This is what I was thinking. It sounds more like action movie music than trippy cosmic adventure music. And sorry, I don't really recall the ODST or Reach music well enough to comment. :nervous:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
now that you mention it, they do seem to be missing the awe factor, which was always my favorite part of Halo's music