Author Topic: Crash on recent nightlies  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Crash on recent nightlies
As the title says, recent nightlies are crashing for me (Win7 x64)

I was trying to make the jump from a fs2_open_3_8_1_20180822_50691c41_x64_SSE2 build to a more recent nightly version, but they crash at startup (both normal and FASTDBG exe) with a "This application has stopped working" popup and the below error details (same with or without mods).

Code: [Select]
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: fs2_open_3_8_1_20190626_e7e43e9_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe
  Application Version: 3.8.1.5538
  Application Timestamp: 5d130369
  Fault Module Name: fs2_open_3_8_1_20190626_e7e43e9_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe
  Fault Module Version: 3.8.1.5538
  Fault Module Timestamp: 5d130369
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 00000000003da541
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 2055
  Additional Information 1: 6440
  Additional Information 2: 6440c3867aef0038af8d2781837fd515
  Additional Information 3: a85a
  Additional Information 4: a85a7a8b83269129f5de751f170c6d37

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I haven't located the exact revision where the problem started, but April (fs2_open_3_8_1_20190422_6350110_x64_SSE2) still worked.
Did I miss to update some DLL or other component?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Re: Crash on recent nightlies
I think there is 1 DLL (SDL2.dll) that's updated every time.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Using all the DLLs from the release zip still results in the same crash.

Testing thourgh the nightly backlog, I found the last release that works for me is 23 April https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95632.0
The following 30 April is the first one that crashes for me (as do all newer builds).
The 30 Aprli revision has a bunch of changes to scripting and a new options system. Did some command line options get deprecated or some syntax changed?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Axem

I've seen that issue crop up a few times before. It seems to be related to a joystick or gamepad plugged in. If you unplug it, the game should work.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I've seen that issue crop up a few times before. It seems to be related to a joystick or gamepad plugged in. If you unplug it, the game should work.

That was it. :yes:
As soon as I unplug the USB joystick it works normally. With the stick connected it crashes.

Any idea what is causing this?

Offline Axem

Not really, it's been pretty hard to track down. Spoon had it happen with his Xbox 360 controller just plugged in, and I don't get the same with with my Xbox 360 controller plugged in... It is a mystery...

Offline m!m

I added some code that writes crash dump to the latest nightly builds. You can try these builds which should produce .mdmp files when they crash: http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/nightly/20190830_8f8afbc/nightly_20190830_8f8afbc-builds-Win32.zip
This would help tracking down the cause of these issues since then we would at least have a stack trace.

Offline AV8R

I posted about this same issue a couple of months ago in he General thread. I came to the same conclusion that the April 23rd nightly was the last stable release for me. I can't run anything beyond that.

So it turns out it's a joystick issue? I happen to use a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X. What joystick brand are you using Col. Fishguts?

Maybe by coming up with a joystick driver/brand commonality, we an help the source code writers locate the bug?

I dunno. Just a suggestion. I wish I knew how to code more than a common batch file or Powershell script.  :(

Offline m!m

See my post above. The newest versions of FSO write crash dumps which would help fix or at least narrow down the cause of the problem.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Thanks for the extra build, see attached the mdmp file that was created by the crash.

Currently I'm using an old Thrustmaster gameport stick with a gameport-USB adaptor, which emulates a generic 2-axis 4-button stick for Windows.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline m!m

Thank you very much for that dump. That was very helpful and made it possible for me to fix the issue. Should hopefully reach the nightlies soon.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Thank you very much for that dump. That was very helpful and made it possible for me to fix the issue. Should hopefully reach the nightlies soon.

Oh nice :yes: Out of curiosity, what was the root cause?

Offline m!m

Basically just a wrong value. A pretty small but significant mistake. I'm astonished that this didn't break earlier but maybe we just never noticed.

I don't know if it's too late, but I think I can reproduce this with my SideWinder FFB 2 on Windows 10

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
The bug that the original poster was having is fixed.  If you're still having issues on 19.0.0-RC1, then let us know.

Offline AV8R

I can confirm that the bug does existing in RC1, but m!m confirmed that (in a separate thread), since the fix was now incorporated into the main branch, it will likely make it into RC2.

~ Patiently awaits RC2's arrival ~  :pimp:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:20:33 pm by AV8R »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
A new nightly build is in progress, so once it's posted, you can try that.  You won't need to wait for RC2.