Author Topic: Battlefeelings  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Not seen another topic for this.

Pre ordered on ps4 already.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
 :wtf:

Well I suppose they needed to take some creative license, since go over the top and immediately get riddled by Maxim gun fire would make for a frustrating game.

That said it needs more Flashheart!

WOOOF!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
A WWI Battlefield game? Well, I suppose it's good to see that conflict get some recognition. I don't think they're going to go for a lot of realism here, though. WWI is hard to portray well in a game because it had clumsy weapons, huge, largely static battles (especially early on) and copious amounts of causalities. Air and naval combat was more cinematic (especially old-timey dogfights and Zeppelin hunting), but BF probably won't focus on that.

The trailer looks cool, but pretty silly if you know a thing or two about how it really looked. :) I wish someone made a realistic WWI game. One that would really make you feel just how ugly that war was.

[totalbiscuit]
STOP PREORDERING GAMES!
[/totalbiscuit]

That said, this is certainly intriguing, and might be worth purchasing if it launches without crippling bugs...

The trailer's made to be exciting/interesting and it was, so good on them. As far as expectations I'd like it to be good, it'd be nice to want to buy another BF game. Also the west was slow from a strategic standpoint but first line trenches got busted pretty regularly and ended up being a lot of knife and grenade work, it was more the lack of reinforcements to push a breakthrough. Also the Russian, Italian, Serbian, Ottoman, and colonial fronts tended to be a bit more mobile if they choose to use those settings.

TL;DR I'm hopeful but not hyped.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Judging by uniforms and equipment, they're using the western front (classic Germany vs. Britain and France setup), at least for the trailer. There was, of course, trench raiding, there were assaults on the enemy lines and all that, but from what I heard, it was more like a brief burst of action between long, tense periods of waiting for artillery and/or gas to get the enemy to take cover. Could be workable in SP (especially in a more realistic title, like ArmA), but Battlefield is largely a fast-paced multiplayer title. Colonial front might appear as well, at least if the Arab cavalryman isn't just for show (anyone has an idea where this canyon dogfight could have been set? It doesn't remind me of any particular WWI setting).

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Judging by uniforms and equipment, they're using the western front (classic Germany vs. Britain and France setup), at least for the trailer. 

The prominence of the West Front is mostly because the West Front trenchwarfare is the most iconic imagery from World War I - which is justified considering the trench warfare is part of the reason the staggering number of casualities on both sides, which are why this war remained so ingrained in European memory.

A WWI Battlefield game? Well, I suppose it's good to see that conflict get some recognition. I don't think they're going to go for a lot of realism here, though. WWI is hard to portray well in a game because it had clumsy weapons, huge, largely static battles (especially early on) and copious amounts of causalities.

Only on the West Front in Europe (where the mobile warfare of the early war came to an halt after the first year, due to poor planning and execution on both sides -  and dragged on the iconic trench warfare until attrition and bad management on part of the Middle Powers, as well as the US reinforcements lead to the Entente victory) ... Warfare on the Eastern Front was more mobile but since Eastern Europe was less developed in terms of modern roads and railways that mobility does not transfer into huge movements.

And trailer also shows what seems to be combat against the Ottoman Empire, which I am glad is included just to break up the image that World War I was the West Front. The part of the other Middle Powers (Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire and Italy) played is usually glossed other (unless of course in Australia and New Zealand, see ANZAC Day) despite it being highly significant for the state the Middle East is in today and the situation on the Balkan during the entire 20th century (as extension of the policies of 19th century).

EDIT: they might of course ditch realism to further gameplay, mind you... DICE is running on a "gameplay first"-philosophy after all

Something that is going to be interesting to observe is if and how they are going to deal with the topic of "colonial troops" in either army (the French had units recruited, often forcefully, from their colonies; the British Empire also conscripted troops from around the world; Germany leveraged/recieved help from China for their logicistcal support etc etc etc). The status and conditions of non-european troops in Europe were pretty abysmal for the most part....

What we will probably not see is the face of World War I in Africa ... because that is some heavy stuff european chauvinism at best and brutal racism at worst. I don't see how an AAA-game is going to dive into that because that's going to drive a very vocal internet crowd into frenzy and no one is going to want that PR job then. Even if DICE can currently leverage a great deal out of the EA at this point...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:27:01 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
[totalbiscuit]
STOP PREORDERING GAMES!
[/totalbiscuit]

That said, this is certainly intriguing, and might be worth purchasing if it launches without crippling bugs...

Especially from EA.  It's not like they don't have an extensive track record of mediocrity and disappointment when it comes to these things.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
If I could accurately portray my regiments role in WW1.  I would have to tunnel fro four months under enemy lines, them spend two months filling said excavation with explosive.

Google it ;)

I'm looking forward to the heavier melee and bayonet charges. Battleships may or may not be steerable but I live in hope.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Oh man I'm pretty hyped for this.

It was also fun to watch that Live gameplay they did on their E3 Stream. The game looks really good.

Habeeb it...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Oh man I'm pretty hyped for this.

It was also fun to watch that Live gameplay they did on their E3 Stream. The game looks really good.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AObo251De4k[/yt]

Only use the Video ID.

Like this:

[yt]AObo251De4k[/yt]

Obligatory: