Author Topic: Assassin's Creed  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
On sale on steam.  I've played and quite enjoyed the first one, and have already bought the second from the sale as it's pretty universally called the best of the series.  But DAMN I did not realize they had made that many due to the stupid naming scheme.  Are all the un-numbered ones glorified expansion packs or are they legitimately full games?  Which are worth playing?  Does any of the DLC matter at all, or is it just ubi money milking?  (Most of the ones I've looked at imply the latter.) 

And seriously, what the HELL is with the numbering/naming?  And just the sheer number of titles released so rapidly.  It raises a flag to me about ubisoft splintering out and releasing half-baked offshoots to multiply revenue.  Is there any truth to that or am I being overly cynical?
I like to stare at the sun.

Oh Assassin's Creed. It's basically a monument to creative bankruptcy.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

1 is skippable, unless you're really into the story.
2 as you've heard, is very good.
Brotherhood and Revelations (in that order) are "expand-alones" to 2 and continue the story. And from what I've heard are also pretty good.
3 is generally considered poor.
4: Black Flag is widely considered to be amazing.
Liberation I think is a PSP port, and like Freedom Cry seems pretty forgettable, considering that I've not heard anything about it.
Unity is buggy and not fun, from what I hear, though it is pretty.
I've not heard anything about Rogue yet, but you can probably assume it's unremarkable.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
1 is skippable, unless you're really into the story.
2 as you've heard, is very good.
Brotherhood and Revelations (in that order) are "expand-alones" to 2 and continue the story. And from what I've heard are also pretty good.
4: Black Flag is widely considered to be amazing.
Liberation I think is a PSP port, and like Freedom Cry seems pretty forgettable, considering that I've not heard anything about it.
Unity is buggy and not fun, from what I hear, though it is pretty.
I've not heard anything about Rogue yet, but you can probably assume it's unremarkable.

This post is correct. Of the good ACs Revelations is the most skippable.

Offline Darius

Rogue is like an expanded 4 and keeps a lot of the stuff that made 4 fun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Rogue is the good game they made with all the good game that should've gone into Unity. Also it has a super interesting twist which I don't think really qualifies as a spoiler: you play as a Templar! And a lot of the standard mechanics are inverted.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
wait, what

I love Connor
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You can like it.  That doesn't make it good.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Thanks for the replies.  How about DLC?  It appears most of the titles have one or two actual content DLCs with numerous character/map/other useless bull**** packs thrown on top.  Anyone know if the extra missions/story DLCs are must-haves?  Is it actually worth anything to get the 'gold' or 'deluxe' editions of any of these, or are they once again money traps? 

Hell even if it IS worthwhile content I feel bad buying it and encouraging these sort of piecemeal, "pay us more to get the full experience" tactics.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I never bought any DL(A)C. I heard Freedom Cry was good but I don't remember if it was for 3 or 4.

Offline FIZ

Freedom Cry was a 4 expansion.  It's kinda a sped up version of 4 in a smaller world.  It follows the ex-slave who was your quarter master for 3/4 of Black Flag.  Same basic ship, upgrades faster, you fight a lot more French (mostly takes place around colonial Haiti).

Good for a weekend buzz, but does not advance the story arch. 

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Started playing 2.

UPLAY MUST DIE!
Seriously, **** that POS software.  I thought it was going to be like rocksmith, where I just have to have an account.  Why in the seven hells should I have to install the ****ing client?  And then the sonofa***** wouldn't activate my game.  Took about an hour of fighting it.  Tempted to ask for a refund on steam and pirate, but I'd feel a little too guilty about that.  Will probably just crack my legally bought copy and uninstall this nonsense.  Those were the first results that came up when googling to fix the problems.

As for the game, barely into it so far.  Only so far as having delivered that first letter.  No weapons yet, but so far the controls are identical to 1, even though people kept telling me they made it a lot better.  I struggle to imagine how much better it can possibly be with that tedious and unintuitive "puppet" scheme still there.  Also holding fast walk (which used to be blend) results in stealing when approaching anyone.  Because it's such a rare occurrence to bump into anyone in sparsely populated streets.   :rolleyes:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'll play Assassin's Creed 2 when it's on GOG and not before.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Yeah I should have done that.  But I'm not sure it ever will be.  Ubi doesn't seem to be giving up on uplay in the slightest.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
In my quest to "fix" ACII, I found this:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2008/07/18/ubisoft_releases_illegal_no-cd_crack_to_fix_game_bugs

If there was any justice in the world, incidents like this would ruin companies.  Or at the very least force them to respect their customers.