Author Topic: Re: Joining The Diaspora Team  (Read 15430 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Re: Joining The Diaspora Team
**** you too karajorma. It would be easier for both of us if you just told me **** you.

You just don't get it do you? I wasn't insulting you, I was telling you how you appear to an outsider reading this thread.

But feel free to go on digging yourself a hole with this. Nothing like a self fulfilling prophecy to make you feel certain you were in the right.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Pecenipicek, what about INFA? Snail and Shiv are progressively moving to ED, Dysko and Edivad are busy because of the Uni...and I'm doing most of the current FRED and tabling edits. I'm even creating a few effects.

I'd like to know if the Diaspora interface artists have spare time. I have a 5 minutes job for them.  ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
**** you too karajorma. It would be easier for both of us if you just told me **** you. Since thats what i'm getting from your basic message.

You are getting disgusting...

To be honest, I don't see anything I shall pity on you. I see envy and unfunded anger. Do something great, and others will join... This childish ranting you do will alienate from you anyone really talented. Calm down before you hurt yourself beyond repair.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
[edit] screw this... not worth it...

apologise me if i edit my existing posts and an apology to you. but no warm feelings from me.

[edit#2]let the posts i made stand where they are. Apology to the team and good luck. Laters.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:36:14 pm by pecenipicek »
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Dont join into discussions above you.

And that last post will almost certainly get you monkeyed. Since I've been involved in this discussion I'm not doing it but I doubt any of the other admins will feel that this behaviour was warranted.

Offline Meleardil

Re: Joining The Diaspora Team
Well... I was wrong... I do pity you.

Edit: I edited my post as well... I had a sarcastic answer ready (my speciality, ask Kara), but you are right. It is not worth it.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Can we please just stop this pointless flamewar? :(

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I like how people think flaming is okay if they put happy face smiles in their posts.

Offline Meleardil

I like how people think flaming is okay if they put happy face smiles in their posts.

Possibly because they enjoy it!  It would be a stupid thing to do something you don't have to and you don't even enjoy.
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

Possibly because they enjoy it!  It would be a stupid thing to do something you don't have to and you don't even enjoy.

I'll do it for an income, but not in my leisure time ;)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Flipside, I read you're the music composer...your tracks will follow MaX's style or there will be changes? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

Put me down for one mission :) if you want a sample just give up a design brief. /me is asleep in 2 mins.

A sample in FS2, WCS or TBP is fine with me. I warn you though I only accept the best. :)

Yeah i know :shaking:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Flipside, I read you're the music composer...your tracks will follow MaX's style or there will be changes? :)

Well, to be honest, I've deliberately avoided listening to the BtRL music, Max is a great composer, but his style is his own, as mine is my own, I'm trying to keep to the 'feel' of the original miniseries music with my work, but it's inevitable that some of my own personal style will slip in there.

Music production will probably become more prolific as more of the other content is done, since a lot of it will be inspired directly by in-game stuff, much like it's a lot easier to write music for a film when you can watch the film itself and see where the cues are and the 'feel' of the situation.

Edit: Meant to add, I'm no good at all as a sound engineer, so I do know that the guys are shopping around for one, at least last time I checked.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 01:42:59 pm by Flipside »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
MaX's tracks are in perfect BSG style so you could end up doing pretty much the same things.

Can you use BtRL's music soundtrack? :nervous:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
We're wanting to avoid the use of Beyond the Red Line assets as much as possible (thus the new GUI, new Vipers, etc.). For that matter right now we're using entirely new sound effects from the miniseries and show for our audio placeholders.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Why? You made most part of that stuff, why don't you keep it?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Shade

Because assets not made by a member of this team are not ours to use. It's that simple. Also, assets that are 100% the work of someone on this team are not being remade/replaced, just those that are not.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I think it would be good to distance yourself from BTrl as much as possible (as you no doubt pathwise have already undertaken) as to differentiate and provide a far more unique view / take on the Galactica experince via the SCP.

i mean, you don't want people to confuse the two do you. hence new interfae, new etc etc.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
An idea to speed all projects up, would be to post what needs doing in a thread (modeling, scripting, mission making), then let anyone within the community have a go at compleating it, instead of keeping it a secret. everyone will benefit from this.

i.e.

1a) new purple fighter (cross between Apollo and a F16) please submit concept art. to [email protected]
1b) new purple fighter (Model needed) Download concept art HERE
1c) new purple fighter (Textures needed) Download concept art/Model HERE and HERE

2a) Missions (Missions needed) download brief here. link to thread discussing campaign here

P.S. i remember a time when everyone used to work together and be very friendly here, but lately it seems that there is a lot of negative criticism when people post there ideas, and not enough constructive criticism.
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Wouldn't work. There are about a dozen different reasons I can think of why too. I'll just go through some of the major ones I can make public.

1) We're not releasing concept art. Last time we tried that on BtRL 3 or 4 different BSG mods nicked it and used it without permission, some of them actually releasing our stuff before we could. I dread to think what would have happened if we'd actually had models or textures publicly available.

2) In addition to having to publish the story, FREDding requires all assets to be released. Given 1, that's out. But on top of that releasing everything we had would basically result in the team spending more time fixing the problems of people who want to play the game rather than work on it. It would be a complete support nightmare with people who have never used FS2_Open trying to play an alpha game using alpha builds. Never going to happen.

3) Look at the FRED Academy as an example of what happens if you try to get casual FREDders to work on a campaign. In the case of the Academy it doesn't matter since the main goal (at least as far as I was concerned) was to teach people to FRED. Any campaigns that were released would be a bonus. With Diaspora, campaigns would not be a bonus and the team would spend more time duplicating work already done, waiting for some casual worker who may or may not have decided not to work on the project any more or chasing after people to get them to give us what they've done so far. Again, it would be a nightmare and would actually result in slower development.

4) With an open project you're going to get an awfully large number of people applying who don't have what it takes to make stuff of the quality the team have so far. But if you're not vetting them in any way the only choice is to ditch the model they just spent 4-5 weeks working on, dump it in the bin and give it to someone else. It's just a huge drain on the communities up and coming talent.
  Most of the casual workers a more open development style would get us are currently working on mods which do not need to be of such high quality. If they're fun to play we'll forgive the fact that the models look a bit ****. Yes we could help those people learn but then we'd spend more time teaching then we do modding and the quality of the mod would go down since all the work would end up being done by the amateurs while the professionals spent all their time telling them how to do things they could do much better anyway.
 Diaspora, like WCS, SoL and FotG are flagship campaigns that will draw people in from the outside world. They need to look as professional as big name mods like Black Mesa source or Garry's Mod in order to do that. And that goes against the kind of open development plan you're on about.

5) If someone has the skill to actually make us something of the quality we are looking for why not just apply to join the team? We're a friendly bunch (mostly) and we are happy to take people with talent. If you don't even have the commitment to join the team then why should we expect you to have the commitment to deliver content for us?

6) There is one area where an open approach would work and that's the code for the game itself. And that's open. We're not hiding that. It's available for anyone to help us with. Do you see a sudden influx of people working on it? BtRL did manage to pull in a few coders but even with a system where we did say "I need x, y and z coded" we still got poor results.  Even though there were no real barriers other than dedication.

So all in all, we've tried it. It didn't work. And we're not stupid enough to try it again. :p