Author Topic: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice v1.0 (Windows, Mac & Linux)  (Read 856248 times)

Offline droz69

Re: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice
Sorry if this has been asked, long thread, but any chance we can get the MK II to play around with?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
We will have the MkII at some point.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's been asked before, and the MkII will be featured in later releases, it is not ready for release yet.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline droz69

awesome, thanks.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There were two main reasons why the MK II wasn't included.

1) It wasn't finished.
2) If we put one in the plotline for R1 it would quite obviously have been shoehorned in just to give the player a MK II. We think the ship deserves better than that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Reason #2 being the more important one :) We have plans on how to introduce it right, but shoehorning it on any post-fall battlestar other than Galactica simply isn't going to happen.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Al-Rik

Reason #2 being the more important one :) We have plans on how to introduce it right, but shoehorning it on any post-fall Battlestar other than Galactica simply isn't going to happen.

A more important question: what's about Basestars and Raiders from the first Cylon War ? ;)
Together with the Galactica, the Sobek Class Battlestar, the Bolitho Corvette and the MKII Viper ( and the existing civilian ships ) it would possible to create missions and campaigns setted in the First Cylon War - without spoiling the canonic storyline after the Fall.

Offline newman

First Cylon War missions and campaign(s) are planned eventually.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline tarasis

I managed to play a little of this, it looks phenominal but it absolutely kills my computer at 1360x768 at medium / low details.

I can run FS2 SCP (3.6.12) & FSPORT around 100-120 FPS but the first tutorial mission in Diaspora (even before I start flying) is running at 8-15fps.

It will have to wait till next year, when I upgrade my computer, before I can play it as much as I'd like to.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
What are your Systemspecs?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
It also sounds like you may be using the debug build rather than release.  There is something that Diaspora does that has a dramatic effect in debug that doesn't affect other FSO-based campaigns (even Blue Planet) much less.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Dimensional Eclipse does that with debug, too.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Could be large number of weapons existing at the same time. Debug most likely checks something for each individual shot and gets bogged down.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Can we stop making uneducated guesses about why Debug is slower please?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Yes, but not until someone who is educated figures out why it is really slower.  Until then, we figure that uneducated guesses will egg the educated into doing what we can't do ourselves.  :P  ... although, if there is something short of learning code that we can do to help you figure that out (running test builds, posting logs, w/e) please let us.. well, at least me, know.  Keep in mind my rig insists on using Intelgrated for FSO, though.  :ick:  Not sure if that would cause problems.  And, ofc, I'm sure you coders have about a million other things including RL issues on your plate.

Summary: We love you guys.. now hows about figuring out why debug runs slow?  C'mon, chop, chop!  *jr2 flees for his life*  :warp:

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Debug is slower primarily for one simple reason: In the interest of allowing much easier stepping through code and watching variables when debugging Debug builds have compiler optimizations completely disabled. Therefore some of the resulting code can be up to 3 or 4 times slower. Keep in mind this has nothing to do with "Optimization" like SSE which are still enabled in debug. Also when talking about windows builds debug versions of the std::vector implementations are horribly slow and used quite often throughout the codebase.
How's that for an explanation?
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Unfortunately it's not just 3 or 4 times slower at the moment. Last time I tried running the debugger and loading a Diaspora mission in FRED I gave up after 15 minutes and built a test mission on retail FS2.

The Standard Library containers appear to be painfully slow in debug. Since Diaspora uses pretty high poly models, it's more prone to problems with this.

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
15 Minutes??? God your computer must suck. EDIT: Also this is kinda getting Off topic ill shut up now.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I don't have the issue with FSO. Just Diaspora so I don't think it's just the PC at fault.

Just played for the 2nd time and got the "good" ending (well, the one where I don't die anyway).  My vocabulary contains insufficient awesome to describe what you all have accomplished with this release.  My hat's off to you.  Or it would be.  If I wore hats.  Can't stand hats, really.  They do bloody awful things to (what's left of) my hair.   :P

Suffice it to say, well done!  Especially... well, all of it.  The new flight model, the visuals, the ai... I can hardly believe the FSO engine can be coaxed into doing all of this!  Well done indeed. :yes:

"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan