Author Topic: BHX Babylonian History X - WIP  (Read 61187 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: BHX Babylonian History X - WIP
Well I finally got sick of the campaign churning out blatantly unfair missions. Often due to it not knowing the difference between a capital ship such as a Bintak and a cruiser such as a Th'nor. So I finally bit the bullet and decided to sort the problems out. It was more trouble than I bargained for and resulted in another big overhaul of the way missions are generated. The result is something that is fairer and more flexible. For instance the most generic mission in the campaign "Chance Engagement" which I was using as the test bed will now generate missions in which teams sometimes mainly comprise of fighters, sometimes of cruisers, but the total effective fighting strengths of the opposing teams will always be in the same ball park. Excepting any penalties incurred because the enemy has many more remaining ships, and those due to skill level (less enemy ships are now present in any mission when you play on easier difficulty settings).

This is nice stuff and hasn't really bloated the SEXP usage that badly. It does mean I have to go through all the missoins again though and update them. Hopefully this will be the last time and I'll have it done before MAG returns. Things are coming together though very quicky.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Did the ship loss/momentum calculations I helped you with work out in the end?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Yes that whole thread of conversation back in the day was invaluable. In the end I took inspiration from comments made by various people and mixed in something of my own. The resulting code handles territory and losses in a way that I am 100% happy with.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I'm guessing that Avioki up there is about to undergo the B5 equivalent of being buggered by an angry bear?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Nothing can stand in the way of a Sharlin. I was testing the blockade running mission. A single Sharlin trying to break a blockade around a jumpgate consisting of a Primus, a load of Vorchans, a load of fighters, and rather nasty minefield. The Sharlin casually glided through the blockade annihilating everything in the area.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Minbari are the galactic space rapists, Thank Grud i was born before the Earth - Minbar war.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Minbari are the galactic space rapists, Thank Grud i was born before the Earth - Minbar war.

Um, wouldn't you rather be born after?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And have to put up with tonnes of "During the war...." stories? :p

To be honest I'm glad to see that the Minbari are as nasty in the game as they were in the show :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer

This campaign is nothing but "during the war" stories.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I hope so, :D
 Flying a campaign without having to shoot anything would "do my bloody nut" Extremely boring dont you think
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Ok. Well for the seemingly 5 or so people who visit the forum these days. Here's the latest in the never ending BHX WIP soap opera. You see unlike certain other campaigns <cough>Machina Terra<cough> I actually keep you informed. So what work has been done. Well I did a couple of nice new missions where you blow tons of stuff up and there's a big battle and everything. I also did the extra special top-secret mission. It's a fantastic idea and really quite revolutionary. Tomcat and Col Fishguts know but they will never tell. I have about 12 missions finished at the moment and that's updated with the new framework. It takes about 2-3 hours to churn out a new mission and I want to have about 30 at least. But I'm not working on this thing full time so don't even try and do the math ;).

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
    • The Babylon Project website
But it'll be out before Duke Nukem Forever.

Damn... that joke is getting old. *yawn*
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well I finally got sick of the campaign churning out blatantly unfair missions. Often due to it not knowing the difference between a capital ship such as a Bintak and a cruiser such as a Th'nor. So I finally bit the bullet and decided to sort the problems out. It was more trouble than I bargained for and resulted in another big overhaul of the way missions are generated. The result is something that is fairer and more flexible. For instance the most generic mission in the campaign "Chance Engagement" which I was using as the test bed will now generate missions in which teams sometimes mainly comprise of fighters, sometimes of cruisers, but the total effective fighting strengths of the opposing teams will always be in the same ball park. Excepting any penalties incurred because the enemy has many more remaining ships, and those due to skill level (less enemy ships are now present in any mission when you play on easier difficulty settings).

Whoah, hold up, did you say generated? what, are the missions randomly generated for the player to tackle? (kind of like flight sims, i suppose)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Whoah, hold up, did you say generated? what, are the missions randomly generated for the player to tackle? (kind of like flight sims, i suppose)

Well, pseudo-generated. If that makes any sense. Generated on a theme? There were simply too many limitations to make missions 100% generated.

Quote from: IPAndrews
Well for the seemingly 5 or so people who visit the forum these days

Wa.. Hey! I take offense to that. I visit the forums! I demand you rephrase that to read, "To the 5 people who visit these forums and actually make a communal contribution which helps to keep me motivated by letting me to believe that some people will actually play the game upon release".

Now that I could accept.

Oh and while I'm here I suppose..... Good work. Keep it up. Feel the burn. Work past the pain. Give it 110%.. annnnd so forth.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Well I wouldn't go that far, but how about this as a compromise.

Ok. Well for the seemingly 5 or so people inc Rand al Thor who visit the forum these days.

I am here,

I just don't say a damn thing...

Err, Keep up the good work on this campaign though it sounds awesome. It would be nice to have something new to play. :)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I think there are quite some lurkers who aren't registered and just check by every few weeks or so. I know I do that on some MOD projects.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

"Phew.  I'm telling you mate, I thought their head was bony, but then they pulled out..........."

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
The next Earth Minbari war starts. Never try to show you are friendly by approaching with gun ports open.

Silly humans.