Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 229708 times)

Re: Official new people thread!
Hello Ive been a Fs2 player since fall 2013 but I stopped playing after finishing the Fs1 port. That screwed up my files so I gave up for a few months then got into minecraft. Today I just did a clean install and theres a new and easier installer to use for mods so I grabbed that. I decided that I should join the forums too since I was thinking of doing a freespace RP on some other forums but there arent many Freespace fans outside of here.(not sure if this place has an RP forum though. Oh well.) 

Anyway I was planning on replaying Fs2 with mediaVPs since I forgot those until the end when I first played. Whoever made those did a beautiful job! After that Im not sure what to play next. I was thinking of Diaspora since I recently got into BSG. Previously I have played BP and WIH along with Derelict and the search for Bosch. I played a few other mods but I cant recall. I tried inferno but I could never get that to install correctly. Some suggestions would be nice. Also I was wondering how interesting is Freespace multiplayer? I have never used it before.

Welcome, mosshadow!

The only thing that I have to say is, use FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 so that you can use MediaVPs 2014. FSO 3.7.2 RC4 is just as stable as a "final" release, and it's the only version that MediaVPs 2014 is compatible with.
'

Thanks I installed that version. I cant tell any difference from the previous I used before though.

The difference that I noticed between MediaVPs 3.6.12 and 2014 is in the details of the 3D textures. If you do a direct comparison, then you will begin to take notice. The first time I noticed was with the Sathanas. After that, I was noticing it for all ships, but especially Shivan and Vasudan ships.
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
A lot of the new MVPs is new ship models and accompanying textures if I am not mistaken (have you seen the new medusa yet?)

Huh, you know I realize I never introduced myself.  I just sort of jumped in.  Probably too late to say 'sup', but welcome to the new folks.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

yeah thats true. from far away ships definitely look more detailed. Also it it just me or did the programming become more efficient? Im not having anymore slow downs and im using the same PC

Well I wanted to figure out multiplayer use of FS2, I got led here, hope there are ppl left.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
yeah thats true. from far away ships definitely look more detailed. Also it it just me or did the programming become more efficient? Im not having anymore slow downs and im using the same PC

They optimized collision detection, which was the main cause of slowdowns, IIRC, among other things.

I'm Jamie. I got Freespace 2 recently on Steam - I've been aware of it for a few years now, since I became active on a couple of Freelancer forums. I've also played a bit of The Babylon Project, since I got into B5 around the same time.

Offline rance

Hey I'm Sam, I came here to make a bad joke on one thread and ended up theorizing a colony on mars on a different one.

You know, it just now occurs to me that I registered here as a direct result of finding an FS1 CD at my grandparents' house when I was less than a decade old. Nostalgia! It does things.

So yeah. I've been modding games on and off for a long time (mostly off since college happened, cry cry), but somehow never messed with FSO much. Then I found Blue Planet and thought I should start learning. So here I am!

Hey folks, long time lurker here! My first serious attempt at making my own mini campaign for freespace finally got me to sing up on HLP in hopes of finding some help.

But what fascinates me the most is the length you people go to improve on the freespace universe, first time seeing the new ship models ingame was a blast, I may or may not have called some people crazy bastards (the good kind) because of how great everything turned out.
Congrats to everyone working on here!

My only problem right now is that I don’t know exactly where to go if I want to open a thread for my mini camping since I have some questions regarding new ships but also regarding some FREDing problems. Can anyone point me in a direction where to go first?

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Best to post in FS2 Open Mission Design (FRED) subforum.

--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Thanks Hound, will post there.  :)

Hello everyone! I've been a big sim gamer (Race sim's, WWII Flight sims, ARMA) and have just stumbled into space sims again but i'm giving it a proper go now!

I've been playing SpaceSims since WC1, believe it or not. Then was hit by the genre-death after FS2 and been playing mostly other stuff over the last 10 years with only X3 as a reminder of the olden days ;) .
Then after re-buying FS2 on GoG, I decided to finally check out what happened to the FSO project I recalled reading about...... Well it seems you folks have been busy, so here I am.

Hi, I have been a long time lurker/fan of these forums. Though i did create an account back in late 2006, i can't seem to log into it now, so i created a new account.

My first space sim was privateer. I played that game heaps and loved all the concepts. Then when i got a demo of FS2 my mind was blown. It was so cool, even though i only had 3 missions to play (i also only used keys @_@). I played them over and over again. Then in 2006 i got a joystick for my birthday and it came with FS2. I loved the game. It was awesome. Never been as amazed and wowed by a game like i was with FS2 since. Those first 3 missions were just the tip of the iceberg. It wasn't until the end of 2006 that i found out about the SCP. I played the game over again with the updated graphics and then played FS1 with the mod.

Now every couple years i come back here to check whats new and play the game again. Check out some new mods. I love what you guys do here and hope this is going strong in another 10 years!

Hey y'all,

Been lurking for a few years, finally posting. Grew up on WC, got FS1 in high school and played through it and ST like six times. Got a Freespace 2 demo that crashed my PC half the time I played -- but I played it over and over anyway!

Finally got FS2 last year and have been gradually pulling in more mods. Playing some BP and ST:R right now.

Also loving watching the development of Star Citizen, but my home desktop runs XP 32 bit with a 10 year old, $30 video card so FS is a bit more playable for me  :)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Welcome new person! :D Hope you find the FS/HLP experiences enjoyable!
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I will present you the man who joined me in the Shattered Stars project: Woutersmits. Meet him.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Woutersmits is...not new.  He's been active here for years. :p

Hey everyone, finally got myself registered on here!

... now what to say, oh yes, I've been playing FSO for a few months now actually, tried many of the mods and hopefully I'll soon have tried all the ones released!  ;)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Howdy! :D

Hope you find your stay here pleasant and informative.

Who knows, one day you might FRED the next great campaign!
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial