Author Topic: HT&L and ship poly counts  (Read 2087 times)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
HT&L and ship poly counts
What are we looking at for a reasonable performance for higher poly ships?  I got a little carried away with a model and its hit about 9000 polys. I think I'm going to hit 12k all up, with all sub-objects.

I may need to have two or three of these in a mission. What can I expect in the way of performance on a reasonable system with three of these and about 12 to 20 fighters on screen?
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Try Omniscapers as a benchmark, maybe?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i just finished a 2000 poly bomber.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
congratulations

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think that'll be fine, the perfomence of rendering a relitivly small number of ships is equivilent to most modern era engines, so it'll probly handle it as well as freelancer's engine.
as seen in omniscapers ST conversions we can handle a rather large number of polys for a rather large number of ships, only thing I'd sudgest is try to use less than 8 textures on any gien subobject (I don't expect that to be a problem for you but I'm mentioning it for others)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I had decent framerates with my 14k poly Anuket. And with the Ryx ships as well, and I have a crappy GF2 MX PCI... so...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I have noticed that a lot of the slowdown characteristic of the "later builds" is actually related to textures.  There are a couple of threads about this already, but basically I think Lightspeed's stuff needs to be resized (all of it) to 2^x dimensions rather than the current oddball sizes they are using.  The game does this anyway, it'll just take some of the on-the-fly calculations out.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
We'll see how it goes. I'll probably get someone on the 158th to pof it without textures and put three or four of them into a furball mission and see what happens.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by StratComm
I have noticed that a lot of the slowdown characteristic of the "later builds" is actually related to textures.  There are a couple of threads about this already, but basically I think Lightspeed's stuff needs to be resized (all of it) to 2^x dimensions rather than the current oddball sizes they are using.  The game does this anyway, it'll just take some of the on-the-fly calculations out.

Some of it, yes.

I'll wait with that till DDS is properly implemented and tested though (with working alpha transparency on planets!) so I can get an even better performance increase.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
btw mikhael, you can reduce pcount by splitting mesh in submodels and removing the hidden faces. If grouped together PCS will convert em as a single subobject.
I know it's a weird thing to do usually, but it can be useful when you need to cut some thousands polys without reducing details.
Since you can't test directly, you should avoid intersections (wich may or may not work), but if you don't use stupizilion bilions of submodels you should be safe, and reduce a lot the pcount.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you realy should put some texture on it, I don't think non-textured pollies were ever suported
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
when modeling under truespace, more polys (and textures) means more work. my impatience tends to keep most of my models under 3000 polys.

using truspace creates alot of errors. i imported my apis model into max4. using certian modifiers i managed to eleminate about 100 vertices that aperantly didnt connect to anything. disturbed by this, i loaded several other models and found similar errors. i really need to figure out how to use max, because truespace really pisses me off.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ugh, those errors are probly made by your conversion, not TS, a lot of them breack them up into composit triangles each with there own set of verts
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i tried several formats and got the same errors.

Nuke's Scripting SVN