Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 578277 times)

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Should be back up.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That palace is on a truly impressive scale, TM.  I really like the Tudor-style building someone put up in town, too.  Maybe I could throw something together myself if you need a spot filled.

Ugh this game has put me in a bad mood.  I've now found two cave network extensions completely separate from the one Swantz blasted his way into the other night, and now the whole structure is so complex that it's actively working against me.  I wound up in this whole chain of unexplored caverns and stumbled across a couple of diamonds and a decent amount of ore.  At that point I was fresh out of pickax, so I got a general idea of the coordinates and figured I could find my way back later.  Not a chance.  I can't even remember what part of my goddamn network I started in to get there, and the more I try to find it, the more I wind up in the same few places over and over again.  Even if I were to try to set up some sort of sign system or mark which places I've checked, everything is so circuitous that I'd probably still wind up running in circles.  Urrrgh.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:59:31 pm by Mongoose »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I've now found two cave network extensions completely separate from the one Swantz blasted his way into the other night, and now the whole structure is so complex that it's actively working against me.  I wound up in this whole chain of unexplored caverns and stumbled across a couple of diamonds and a decent amount of ore.  At that point I was fresh out of pickax, so I got a general idea of the coordinates and figured I could find my way back later.  Not a chance.  I can't even remember what part of my goddamn network I started in to get there, and the more I try to find it, the more I wind up in the same few places over and over again.  Even if I were to try to set up some sort of sign system or mark which places I've checked, everything is so circuitous that I'd probably still wind up running in circles.  Urrrgh.

Welecome ot the club.
I got so many cave systems beneath New TrashMania that I gave up on exploring them. They are a friggin labyrinth.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I wish there was some way to generate a decent map of cave layouts.  The dymap has a cave option, but since you can't view it in three dimensions (or even by layers), it just looks like a mess of green.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
HD is sorty 3D-ish.....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Caverns can be made a lot easier with some mining, direction indicators, and signposts. If you find an area of caves and tunnels that are separated by only a few blocks (most mineshaft networks fall into this category), start knocking down walls! You'll soon turn that tunnel that looked just like all the other tunnels into a large open area that's easy to recognize and differentiate from the other areas. That alone will help you get your bearings.

Call the large open area closest to the main entrance "Cavern 1" (or "A" or whatever makes sense to you). Place an identifying pillar in the center, somewhere visible, and put signs with "Cavern 1" on all 4 sides of the pillar. Now as you explore the tunnels that branch off from Cavern 1, any time you reach an intersection, put up a cobblestone arrow + torch (+ sign if you have them) on the wall, pointing the way back to Cavern 1, like this:

Continue placing cobblestone arrows at every intersection, pointing back to Cavern 1. Then the next time you come upon a good area of tightly-packed tunnels that can be expanded into a new cavern, repeat the steps above, and retroactively add new cobblestone arrows to those intersections that also point to the new Cavern 2. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline -Sara-

Another trick for fast evacuation is having an evacuation chute. A 3x1 long tunnel which zig-zags through your caverns with a minecart rail in it and a typical noticable block type (such as glowstone or less expansive: torches under glass) to draw paths to this chute. In case of being completely lost you can always put a minecart on the rail and it'll drive you back to start.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

I'm in the habit of using redstone torches to point back toward the exit. Just one on the wall (so that it's concealed from the opposite direction), in visual range of most places in the cavern: If you see a restone torch, go to it, then find another and go to that one, until you're home.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I've haven't gotten around to placing directions because I'm a lazy ass. :P
But I do always try to place my torches on the left side of where I'm headed. Whever I'm at a dead end or an intersection to an old part of the cave system, I can usually easily find out where the starting point was.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Those are some good ideas, albeit a bit time- and space-consuming; it'd be great if signs could stack, for instance.  I usually don't have much trouble at all finding my way back home, since my wanderings lead me back to a part of the system I know well enough fairly soon.  Hell, I think my wanderings looking for this diamond/gold spot have led me back toward the same damn lava pool end something like ten times. :p

Honestly, I think the main problem with my cave system is that so much of it is so vertical in nature, much more so than the one in my SP game.  The main "room" when I first come in is a bunch of semi-separated passages that all extend down a good 30 or 40 blocks, and I'm always mining out a block on the floor only to discover that it opens into a lower tunnel I'm already familiar with.  The net result is something like trying to find your way through a tall slice of Swiss cheese.  I'm at least starting to clear out some gravel piles and fill in a few floor holes, so maybe I'll eventually get something more systematic going.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
A good method might be to place some cobblestone stairs here and there.
Not only do they make traversing vertically complicated terrain easier, they're also a very clear sign of where you've been before.
Of course I've never tried this method before because I'm too lazy. :P Actually it's more like my Minecraft sessions don't last long enough for me to consider doing something like that anymore. :blah: 

Offline watsisname

Being a person with an affinity to Anglo-Saxon runes, I decided I'd replace the Minecraft enchantment system's Galactic Standard Alphabet text with something I can actually read but still isn't boring every-day English. :)

If anyone else would like to use, just replace alternate.png in .minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar\font with the attached png image.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Haha, very nice myte, very nice.

Also, I just had this sudden desire to replace the music files in Minecraft with music from Descent. It'd certainly be fitting at times...
"No"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Only cat and 13 can be modified out of the 11 total records, or can the normal music be modified as well?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Being a person with an affinity to Anglo-Saxon runes, I decided I'd replace the Minecraft enchantment system's Galactic Standard Alphabet text with something I can actually read but still isn't boring every-day English. :)

If anyone else would like to use, just replace alternate.png in .minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar\font with the attached png image.

But... what does it say??
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
My castle is complete!

Well, almost. It needs more windows. And the interior is far from finished.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Interesting tower design. :D
It it just one room at the top with stairs leading to it?
But... what does it say??
Random giberish...

Offline watsisname

Also, I just had this sudden desire to replace the music files in Minecraft with music from Descent. It'd certainly be fitting at times...

Descent = <3
Minecraft  = <3
Descent > Doom
Descent music in Minecraft = awesome when caving :D
Minecraft music in Descent = lolwut

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

Descent = <3
Minecraft  = <3
Descent > Doom
Descent music in Minecraft = awesome when caving :D
Minecraft music in Descent = lolwut

I'm going to give this an official test tonight and see how things go with it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out
Also, I should try that too. Minecraft music in Descent. It'd be hilarious

EDIT: Well that was a failure and a half. Essentially, after replacing all the music OGG files, and opening up Minecraft, I still get the same old music. When I checked back to the minecraft folder, it would appear that the music returned itself to it's original state.

Well dammit. I clearly forgot to install AudioMod/Sound Mod Enabler

Upon doing that, success! Huzzah! Partially anyhow... time to modify something other than 13

EDIT: Peculiar... Apparently, if I change the original music (calm1, calm2, etc), the 13 and Cat revert back to their normal state. However... the files themselves do not change
So where is Minecraft getting the sound from, if the music I replaced it with doesn't exist within the .minecraft folder? Odd

EDIT: Now I don't have sound. Period

EDIT: Deleted .minecraft folder, reinstalled. Still didn't fix it

Well dammit

EDIT: Deleted resources, restored old version, fixed. Now... back to figuring out music after doing another clean install (with all sounds working). And no, I haven't learned a damned thing except more backups

EDIT: Alright, replaced the music and newmusic with Descent music... no hitches, sounds are all good, 13 and Cat play as they are supposed to... Now I play the waiting game and wait for one of the calm's or nuances or something to play...

I'll do that tomorrow. Who knows how long it'll be before something plays
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:26:02 am by deathfun »
"No"

Offline watsisname

Man, you're doing it the hard way. :P 
Why not simply mute the game music, and play the other music with the audio/media player of your choice?