Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 578489 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
How do you make a backup without admin access to the server? Wait, lemme guess... a mod that backs up chunks directly from Minecraft's cache?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
How do you make a backup without admin access to the server? Wait, lemme guess... a mod that backs up chunks directly from Minecraft's cache?

And we have a winner! (Although a cheater if you read PMs  :P )

In all seriousness though, I backup both the Fenris, Apollo, Herc, and Deimos every once and a while, make schematics of them, drop them in once place, and render (at SW_30*, for people who know dynmap's render stuff). Herc and Apollo never get updated (they are done after all), Fenris every few weeks, Deimos based on the amount of progress I make, anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.

Shame you're never on IRC, or you'd have known about this like 2-3 weekks ago.  :nervous:
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

And we have a winner! (Although a cheater if you read PMs  :P )

I actually didn't check my PMs until afterwards. :)

Shame you're never on IRC, or you'd have known about this like 2-3 weekks ago.  :nervous:

I was on IRC and the server on a huge building spree for the longest time, but nobody was on so my motivation kinda just died out.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I love my graphics card sometimes

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That can't be good.  Though I shouldn't be talking...Minecraft has managed to crash my Catalyst drivers a few times. :D

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ouch. Looks like the lighting system is causing the mess...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
My card seems to do funky things when it gets warm, especially when in OpenGL mode
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
It may not be your video card...the new lighting system in minecraft is buggy by itself.
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
the card has done funny stuff like that for years and i am sure i have had that happen on several minecraft builds

Odd, the dynmap seems to indicate that some of the more extreme explored areas are degrading or something, or is that intentional?

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Odd, the dynmap seems to indicate that some of the more extreme explored areas are degrading or something, or is that intentional?

I noticed that. Strange things are happening.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The lighting bugs have been driving custom mapmakers nuts for quite some time.  It's supposed to get fixed in the next patch, though.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft

Huh if that's a feature it seems kinda neat o,o (provided it doesn't eat areas which people have built in)
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

Huh if that's a feature it seems kinda neat o,o (provided it doesn't eat areas which people have built in)
I noticed an area that appears to have had a structure. Now only a small section of wall is left.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

I noticed an area that appears to have had a structure. Now only a small section of wall is left.

Well, I know I built some temporary tree house sorta thing on an island that's getting eaten up a bit. Not sure if it's affected or not, or whether I could even find it again if it isn't.

Back when Minecraft used its original world file format, there were rampant issues with chunks saving incorrectly and getting regenerated, the next time a player came though.  Perhaps there's a similar issue with the current save format that just doesn't crop up, until you've got a massive world.  If it continues to be an issue, I'd recommend pruning unused areas from the world save and/or putting a moratorium on lengthy, exploratory expeditions.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Back when Minecraft used its original world file format, there were rampant issues with chunks saving incorrectly and getting regenerated, the next time a player came though.  Perhaps there's a similar issue with the current save format that just doesn't crop up, until you've got a massive world.  If it continues to be an issue, I'd recommend pruning unused areas from the world save and/or putting a moratorium on lengthy, exploratory expeditions.

I play on a server with a 16GB Overworld map file. This doesn't happen there, so it isn't a built-in feature/bug.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Maybe it's just an issue with the DynMap?

Though, if building far from the spawn is destablizing the map in some way, or, if those areas will eventually be messed up let me know. And I can move back close to the spawn somewheres.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I read something on the minecraft wiki which might be relevant... Apparently chunk generation is a 2-step process. First it creates the chunks without any features (e.g. trees, mineral veins, etc.), then later it adds those features. Maybe something odd is going on with that?