Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 281846 times)

Re: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing
Right. Thanks!
I have created a masterpiece.

Styxx, in the next carnation of the 3dsmax pluggin, is htere any chance you could have the $dock exporting process, to include an auto naming? Like have each dock number designation to be automatically entered as its $name entry? I'm making a ship that has over 288 docking points and its a real tedious process to name each and everyone so that Fred ans FSO dont freak out. I know this is a rare feature to have that many docks, but I would find such a thing VERY usefull.

:wakka:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4,
Do not mke replies to posts over a month old if you have nothing pertinent to add.
Do not make replies that are only a smilie. It WILL result in your post being deleted.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
...just...ban.

Ban!? NO!!! That would do this community a great diservice!!

He's a noob in these forums, I encouraged him to join the community. He got more modelling skills in one pinky than all of us. Not to mention he's the dude that got my modelling juices flowing again.

I'll give him a pep talk about the ettiquette of HLP. I must warn u ppl tho, he is of the same model SIR unit from the Irkin Empire as "Gir". Just keep biscuits and headless clowns away from him. :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, well, the thread was sticky anyway, so it could have been worse :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ban!? NO!!! That would do this community a great diservice!!

I'll give him a pep talk about the ettiquette of HLP. I must warn u ppl tho, he is of the same model SIR unit from the Irkin Empire as "Gir". Just keep biscuits and headless clowns away from him. :)

Doesn't matter who he is, no special treatment. :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Meh, well, look at it this way, there are members of the community now who are starting to make valued contributions who started out on the same lines. I still cringe at some of my early posts (I mentioned the 'Third' :nervous:). I suppose we all have to go through this stage at first.

Personally I'm prepared to let one or two bouts of 'over-eagerness' slip before getting the hammer out ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Eh? I never said anything about banning. :p I'm just saying I'm not gonna stand for pointless spam from anyone. We don't need another cobra, even if he can model like Dark. No special treatment. Period. Rules apply to everyone equally.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Oh, this thread's still here?

Well, sorry for not checking this. Didn't have any time to work on the exporter lately, and don't know when I'll have any. What are the priorities again? I figured:

- Fix Reset XForm problem
- Fix MOI generation (a bit work-intensive, I may make an approximation)
- Add auto-naming for docks (gotta check this out)

It should be handling any polygon count your system can handle - BSPTree generation is recursive and may take a lot of memory. And I'm not touching that code. I'll disable log generation when I have the time and post a new version, this may be causing some extra troubles with high-poly models.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
* Raa wishes it could load POFs too.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Fuggeddeet. :p

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Ok, new versions with rough MOI approximation. I'm sampling only the vertices, assuming a sampling 5000 (!) times the number of vertices. It's generating something that looks like a MOI matrix, but the numbers are stil way too high. Can anyone check it ingame to see how a model behaves?

I don't think I'll be adding a proper volumetric sampler, unless someone points me to very "copiable" code of a method that checks if a point is inside a model (which may not be perfectly closed, which complicates matters a lot). If the numbers are just too high, I can just divide it by something. If they're generally off, we have a bigger problem.

Anyway, the RAR with the new versions is attached.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:39:17 pm by Styxx »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I seem to remember that the MOI matrix that's stored in the POF is inverted, though I can't remember where I saw that or if it's even right.  That might explain it, if you're getting bigger numbers for bigger ships.  I won't have a chance to look at it for another week at least, but I'll get on it as soon as I can.

Also, insignia generation appears to be messed up pretty badly at the moment, though I can't tell if it's Freespace or the converter that's causing that.  Again, I can't specify exactly how it's messing up right now but as soon as I can get access to my main PC I will see if I can't put my finger on what it's doing wrong.  Seeing as how you're still checking this thread from time to time :)
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Oh, it motivates me so much to have such overwhelming response! I'll need more details about the insignia problem, and at least one model with the XForm conversion problems to check it out.

(by the way, thanks StratComm, the irony obviously wasn't directed at you :p)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I'll get you exactly what is wrong with the insignia data when I get a chance, I just currently have no access to a model with a bad insignia, Freespace, or 3ds Max to play with.  I'll also whip up something that doesn't convert properly because of X-form while I'm at it, but if anyone else has a working example already then they should go ahead and send it your way.

And of course I don't actually think I'm the one getting called out for my lack of response :p
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Oh, it motivates me so much to have such overwhelming response!

Maybe if you had done this before I converted all of my models...

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Is that shield problem fixed?

Even if one could get it to work ingame, weapon hits didn't always register or would hit the inside of the shield on the opposite side after going through it. Is this a problem with reseting the direction of the verticies or something?

Thanks again Styxx for the work you've poured into this. :) ^_^

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What about that model radius problem?