Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 282029 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing
Has anyone else checked the paths generated?  Mine look like complete gibberish.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Paths suffer the same x-form bug that geometry does, except that, more often than not, they get moved more and forgotten more often (plus you don't notice them as quickly).  They work, they're just... tricky.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Paths suffer the same x-form bug that geometry does, except that, more often than not, they get moved more and forgotten more often (plus you don't notice them as quickly).  They work, they're just... tricky.

What x-form bug?  I never had any problems with geometry beyond vertex numbering, y'see.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Basically, geometry data gets translated to POF in relative form from the object of which is generated.  So if you move, rotate, or scale an object rather than its constituent geometry, what actually gets output will differ from the geometry present in the max scene.  It's worst affect is on collision.  On paths, it causes the path to export the points in relative coordinates, so if you created the path and then moved it, or scaled it, or rotated it, or anything else that wasn't acting on vertices, then all of that will not convert and only the underlying vertex movements will get exported.  The solution is to reset the transforms (reset x-form is how max describes it) of all objects - geometry and support - before you set up the scene hierarchy.  I'm shocked you haven't had trouble with this before though.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Is this why I've always had turrets appear at the center of the model?

Also is there any chance of source code release? Maybe then we can get it to produce more meaningful warning/error messages rather than just killing Max.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 10:10:20 pm by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Basically, geometry data gets translated to POF in relative form from the object of which is generated.  So if you move, rotate, or scale an object rather than its constituent geometry, what actually gets output will differ from the geometry present in the max scene.  It's worst affect is on collision.  On paths, it causes the path to export the points in relative coordinates, so if you created the path and then moved it, or scaled it, or rotated it, or anything else that wasn't acting on vertices, then all of that will not convert and only the underlying vertex movements will get exported.  The solution is to reset the transforms (reset x-form is how max describes it) of all objects - geometry and support - before you set up the scene hierarchy.  I'm shocked you haven't had trouble with this before though.

Oh cock.  I notice it doesn't even work with brand new paths.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I kno this has been asked before... but PLEASE make a 3dsMax9 version of this... I wanna convert my stuff :P
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Has anybody with Max6 managed to successfully export firing pointe of turrets ?

I thought I was doing something wrong, but after checking with Styxx's sample model, I ofund that Max6 doesnt export them for that model either.

Does anybody know why ? The prospect of calculating 50 firing point coords by hand isn't very thrilling.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I've gotten them to convert before, but I didn't like the results and so went right back to doing them by hand.  Though it's been a while, I'm fairly sure they work.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
With Max6 ? The fact that even Styxx's sample didn't export them made me scratch my head.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Yeah I use max 6 and I know I've gotten them out before.  Are you sure they're not getting created or are they getting created at some arbitrarily wrong spot?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Nothing gets created. The resulting POF doesn't even have any turrets defined. When opening Styxx's example scene, there's a message about obsolete data found. I guess that might explain the loss of data.

EDIT: If you wanna look at the resulting POF yourself, here it is. That's what I get when I export it with all the options checked in the export dialogue.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:27:51 am by Col. Fishguts »

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Ok im having a slight problem myself, but thats prolly due to ineficiency from my part:

Ive read both the Readme and the Wikki article on this, however, im not getting engine glows to work... ive added the dummies, linked them to the engine subsystem, but do these need to have a "glow-N" name?
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Ok im having a slight problem myself, but thats prolly due to ineficiency from my part:

Ive read both the Readme and the Wikki article on this, however, im not getting engine glows to work... ive added the dummies, linked them to the engine subsystem, but do these need to have a "glow-N" name?

I don't believe so.  Have you checked the pof data?  Max2Pof creates them at size 0 IIRC, so you won't see them without manual editing.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Yeah I did... I created th dummys, linked them as child to the engin subsystem, but on modelview, it doesnt have any representations of the thrusters... I MUST b doing something wrg, coz they aint even there, flat out and simple

Raven is a god.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Sounds stupid, but is the box checked?

And the example POF is out of date with respect to the turrets IIRC.  There were issues with having subsystems containing a dash in their name that were pretty ugly.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
erm... what box is checked?!? :P

Really have no clue about what your talking about lol

Raven is a god.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The dialog that pops up with all the check boxes as to what the exporter is supposed to be exporting.  Turret data is separate from subobjects.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
oh then ur not talking about my problem :D

Raven is a god.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Sorry if this has already been asked/solved, but I installed the plugin into Max 7, and everytime I start I get this error:
"Class <POFExport> from <pofexp.dle> has duplicate ID: not loading. This may be due to a duplicate plugin path."

Ideas?