Author Topic: The Original Homeworld Mod  (Read 33166 times)

The Original Homeworld Mod
Bringing th eoriginal Homeworld to FS2. This is th erepository of progress to date, and will be also the home of progress to come!

Kushan Target Drone

Kushan Drone Ship

Kushan Probe

Kushan Light Interceptor

This last one hasn't been through the texturing process yet, but it will this weekend. I also need to make a decent cockpit for it, which I haven't finished doing yet.

Re: The Original Homeworld Mod
looks sweet!!!  I love homeworld!
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline mr.WHO

You're aware of TAP mod? Coz they are making HW and HW2 ships into FS2. You'd better contact them to joint efford of HW mod

I am aware of TAP, but this is MY vision of a HW1 mod. They have only posted shots of HW2 stuff as far as I could see, and besides...I am making my interpretations of high poly versions of the ships. I am not particularly interested in working for a team, and am just having some fun making some ships that I want to make.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Anyone else think the probe (at least from this angle) bears a striking resemblance to a T-square used on a drafting table? ;)
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

With a flourish of trumpets, and a fanfare worthy of the launch of the newest additon to the fleet, I give you:

The Kushan Scout.

The texture is a panel-lined plain version at the moment, which will be overpainted with suitable Kushan colourschemes. I haven't made up my mind yet which colours to go for..... but that will be a simple alteration to the base PSD file I made the DDS from. I also need to come up with a design for a pilot....

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The nose doesn't look very scout-like, sorry...The rest of it looks OK, but the nose is just too far off of the original. The textures imply that the cockpits are basically armor plating with window squares, not actually 'pits.

:) Well..I hated the nose of the Scout and wanted something that actually looked like I think Relic would have made it if they could use more than 50 polygons. I also wanted a cockpit view, and that would not be possible with the almost horizontal windows that the old one had. Pointless really to have them like that. Besides..I reckon a scout should have good visibility :D

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I think if Relic wanted a bulbous canopy they would've put one :) What I think the scout texture was implying was that the Kushan's scout had an armored "bathtub" like cockpit, with little viewing windows. If you look, you'll see that the Scout had a very thick/fat nose, and very square - I think they did this on purpose, not just because they were limited poly-wise.

As you can see the amount of grey far outweighs the darker grey "canopy". I think the whole thing was meant to be raised and armored like I described above.

As you can see, the Taiidan Scout followed a similar design ethos:

This is the problem that you'll get with "re-imagining" classic ships like in the Homeworld series - you'll always end up with people thinking that you did it the wrong way :D

I can rebuild them that way... but it would mean dispensing with the virtual cockpit completely. There is no way you would be able to actually see out of those windows at all, unless the viewpoint were placed right up close to the top glass pane. I can do it that way...but I think it would look pretty poor.

It is not a big deal to rebuild.... the question is really:

a) Do people think I should stick to the chunky stoack look

b) Do people think that the ships would be better with more canopy and a full virtual cockpit.

I can't see how I can do both and still make it look good. I am assuming the Homeworld ships were not relying on actual visibility to see, but would use screens or head up on the pilots visor to show what was out there. The glass panels may just be there to make the pilot feel less like he was in a flying coffin!

The Taiidan design is easier to copy. The cockpit is more upright and would actually allow proper forward visibility.

Mucxh as I like virtual cockpits, I am increasingly of the opinion that they are actually less 'realistic' in a space fighter that the HUD only view. It would make a lot more sense to give full visibility to a pilot through camera and VR helmet setups. Need guidance here!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Best would probably be placing the pilot exactly into the fighter's center of gravity so that rotational forces would be minimized...

Though got to say that IMO Kushan HW 1 graphics more or less represent sort blocky cockpit with windows.. Non surprisingly very much like HW2 Hiigaran Interceptor and Bomber

Pics and stats of those
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

I started working on one of the assault frigate ages ago... What I did was maintain the shape (not rounding things) however I extruded many of the big panels.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
With a flourish of trumpets, and a fanfare worthy of the launch of the newest additon to the fleet, I give you:

The Kushan Scout.

The texture is a panel-lined plain version at the moment, which will be overpainted with suitable Kushan colourschemes. I haven't made up my mind yet which colours to go for..... but that will be a simple alteration to the base PSD file I made the DDS from. I also need to come up with a design for a pilot....

Cool :)

I'd suggest, if people want to argue about which is the right 'reimagining', checking the concept art?  I don't know the link offhand, but I have a huge zip somewhere of HW1 and HW2 concepts from some website somewhere :)

Ahh....this would be what you mean :D

Although you don't want to work for us (TAP) would you be adverse to us using your models anyway? Yes they don't look dead-accurate to the original game but then your building them how you want to build them, not how other people are telling you to and thats why this is fun for you I guess. Working for a team would turn it onto actual work so we wont ask you for specifics, or ask you to change the models from how you want to build them. HW2 & TAP are set 100 years after HW1 & CAT anyway so it doesn't so much matter to us if they look too different. But since your making them anyway ... :D

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:26:24 am by Dark Knight »
The needs of my belly, outwiegh the needs of the few.

I was just gonna say, take a look at HW2 a bit.

What's TAP by the way?  is it to HW2 what Cataclysm was to HW1?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

TAP is a Homeworld TC for freespace 2, but we're focusing on bringing the HW2 ships in Fs2 rather than the originals.
The needs of my belly, outwiegh the needs of the few.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Your work looks good mate. Can't wait to play them. :D

Been rather overly busy with 'real' work to get much done, but I have not been entirely inactive!

I have decided to rebuild the cockpit of the Kushan Scout... going to make it a bit more 'heavy duty' and incorporate some ideas from the concept art for the screen layout. I want to get this right, since it will form the overall pattern for the heavy fighter design as well. Since this craft will be used a lot...I want it to be as good as I can get it. The mapping and model have a natural break to let me do this, so I won't have much to re-build.

In the meantime...I have started work on something a bit different. It's starting to take shape ;)

Don't now why...but I have this terrible urge to eat a banana.....

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Is Nice. I Like.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp