Author Topic: Release: ASSM - Aginor's Saga simulator mission  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Release: ASSM - Aginor's Saga simulator mission
What's up with you TAP guys? Is being impolite a requirement to join the team? Anyway, could we discuss this (and all other) topics in a tactful manner? Aginor did mention frequently that he's a beginner FREDer, and releasing the FRED wasn't his call (if you have to blame somebody, go to Tolwyn). Considering that intrest in WCS died pretty quickly on HLP, I guess he thought nobody would care (in fact, before this thread, there was hardly any activity out there).

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
@headdie: No, it's ok, I understand him now.

@Dragon: Yeah, please make another topic about it if there is need to talk.

@MatthTheGeek:
I did not consider that rude, and whether those assumptions are legitimate seems like a subjective thing to me. I was raised to be very careful with assumptions. if people are involved.
So again, I'm sorry if I offended you, and I would just like to stop talking about that topic now.

Saga's FRED version is released, we all know it now, I made a mission with it, you can play it if you want and tell me whether you like it or not. That's what this thread is about and I would like to return to that. :)
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well, we both made assumptions that ended up being wrong. You assumed we all knew FRED was released because noone raised anything about you using it, and I assumed you only had it because you were a team member. You have my apologies if my earlier remarks felt rude.

I'll be happy to give you some feedback on your mission when I have time to test it.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
The concept is pretty cool, and it's kind of similar to my Tactics Training mission, but I found the "fly to a jump point to select your mission" thing very confusing.

Damn, sorry I kinda overlooked your post before.

I wondered how I could give the player some choices, and since I think that the comm menu isn't customizable enough and since it is not possible to have dropdownboxes or something in some sort of menu I went with that approach. The alternative would have been to make a whole set of missions, but I didn't want to do that.
So I decided to use the tools I already know how to use (which means basic SEXP stuff) and do it that way.

For choosing allied capships or something I might use the comm menu. The ships wait somewhere near you and you tell the ship(s) you want to have in the simulation to follow you and thus add them to your group, preventing it from vanishing when the mission starts.

I read something about scripting this week, and I wonder if someone (which means me) could create a HUD script to provide a menu to choose stuff. I'm not sure whether such complex stuff is possible.

Since I want to learn LUA anyway (one language more or less doesn't matter, I'm using various programming- and script languages every day at work) I could give it a try. I'm just not sure how flexible it is. Is creating a menu with clickable spots and all that stuff possible?
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

I would recommend using the subtile sexps.
May the Force be with you

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I read something about scripting this week, and I wonder if someone (which means me) could create a HUD script to provide a menu to choose stuff. I'm not sure whether such complex stuff is possible.
Most likely possible using HUD gauges. However I doubt WCS code is able to do that (they have an early .10-era hud_gauges support, but I doubt it'll be enough, or in any way practical. The hud_gauges used by WCS, while still partially supported by current FSO versions, is not documented anymore, and I'm not sure it ever was).

Cutscene subtitles or training messages could work. I am not familiar with subtitles, but WiH has a good mission for implementing keypress-based multiple choices through training messages (the training mission with Simms). The problem of training messages, though, is that they have to be reprinted every few seconds and they tend to clutter the F4 message log extremely quickly.

Since I want to learn LUA anyway (one language more or less doesn't matter, I'm using various programming- and script languages every day at work) I could give it a try. I'm just not sure how flexible it is. Is creating a menu with clickable spots and all that stuff possible?
Nearly definitively sure it's not. The best you can do is processing keypresses.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:33:31 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

The Techdemo for the old WCS Prologue, which includes recreated missions from WC4, also has something like this. You can choose to defect or not to defect, like in WC4.
http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/archived-wing-commander-iv-tech-demo-7z.html
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Ah, good that you mention it, I had completely forgot that one!
I guess I have to look how it was done there, maybe I can use something like that.