Author Topic: SH Gargant?  (Read 138650 times)

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Surely, freighters can be reigged to automtically jump in and out of subspace at set co-ordinates...I figure a crew would only be needed for complex manouvers
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That's because our current Meson bombs weren't portable, and had to be tacticaly deployed. I'm pretty sure noone would have sent a freighter full of people on such a truely-suicide mission, which results in a very horrible and painfull death. In Inferno, all you need is to add some engines to the bomb holder :P
It has become common consensus, at least on the Inferno forum, that you can't warp things into other things.

Easy way to destroy it...

Launch a few dozen Titan-II missiles, currently in the US military, at it.

Would devastate anything smaller than a thousand kilometers.
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
:doubt:

Freespace ships can shake of multi-megaton nukes, I doubt that any weapon in use today would do very much damage against anything but a fenris.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

As the blowfish said, the Lucifer can survive an explosion of 1,250 gigatons. I bet the Gargant could survive several hundred teratons.

(show your working:

Harbinger Damage: 3,200 (5 gigatons)
Lucifer Hitpoints: 800,000
800,000/3,200 = 250 Harbingers (5 gigatons each)
250*5 gigatons = 1,250 gigatons of damage.

Oh, and BTW:
Gargant Hitpoints: A LOT MORE THAN 800,000

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
How many hitpoints does the Gargant have ? Because 1 hitpoint is 1.5625 megaton then.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Yeah, I'm afraid your love for nuclear missiles (as espoused in the beams thread) is seriously outclassed here.

Yeah, I'm afraid your love for nuclear missiles (as espoused in the beams thread) is seriously outclassed here.

Yeah, probably.

Although I know of no metal out there that is only 2.2KM (The Orion) and can survive hundreds of megatons of damage.

That kind of metal would be physically impossible!
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Who says the Shivans use metal? Their vessels could be grown like crystals...Hell, their vessels could even be chrystaline in nature...

Please dont start agruments with me over this...do it in another thread

TRUE SHIVAN

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Probably. Or maybe it is possible. Dunno about canon, but pure iron IIRC can't be damaged, bent, or something in heat. In other words- you can only change it's form when it's very cold. Well, whatever... It's a game. Realism doesn't eally apply to games.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Bit of advice that someone once told me:

Dont let Karajorma hear you say that

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
lol...

I'd like to know if the damage inflicted by the Helios is comparable to a 5 gigatons nuke....any canon source/reliable theory?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd like to know if the damage inflicted by the Helios is comparable to a 5 gigatons nuke....any canon source/reliable theory?
It's the Harbinger, not Helios. In the FS1 TD, it says it has a high payload (wonderful understatement) of 5000 megatons, which is 5 gigatons.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Oh, sorry...I confused them...

That's impressive, but I would like to say something about the subject. In video games that aren't particularly realistic when something sustains damage(like FS...it's not like a realistic WWII sim)the value of hitpoints is always higher than the one that, in theory, a ship has.

Let's say that we have a ship firing a beam on another ship. The beam inflicts about 35-40% damage. In a realistic environment that shot is enough to take the ship down but in the game the ship's still there, with its hull integrity still above 50%. The same principles can be easily applied to spacecraft hit by missiles and ships hit by torpedoes. Imagine a fighter at full strength hit by a secondary...its hull integrity falls to <10%...seems quite obvious than in a realistic environment that shot would have been enough to destroy it. Same thing for a ship hit by a swarm of torpedoes.

Don't forget that in the FS Universe we have a Manticore shooting an Herc down with a few laser shots and a missile...we also have a Medusa pulverized after a missile impact...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Game mechanics shouldn't be taken as a realistic value IMO. Like the Iceni doesn't actually have a special armor that doesn't let it take any more than 1% damage (it's called PLOT ARMOR).

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
To right:
Its the Same with the speeds of the ships.

In real life an Orion or Sathanas travelling at top speed would leave fighters in the dust, instead of travelling at a measly 10-20m/s as in game.

I mean imagine what it would be like in real-life if you were in a disabled fighter (or cruiser) in the pat of a Gargant heading towards you at top speed... :eek: :eek2: :shaking:

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Snail

• SC 5
In real life an Orion or Sathanas travelling at top speed would leave fighters in the dust, instead of travelling at a measly 10-20m/s as in game.
I'd have to disagree there. Fighters IMO would definitely be far faster than capital ships.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Fighters could certainly accelerate faster.  Speed really has nothing to do with it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Newtonian physics makes everything pointless in a game really.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
In Colony Wars ships that were accelerating were incredibly faster than fighters. To some extent it happens in FS, too.

Big engines is what matters, you don't have the mass to deal with.
The Lightblue Ribbon