Author Topic: Capship command  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
that was only an old retail restriction. theese days you can fly anything, though you have to edit the mission in notepad to add caps to the loadout.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
ah well thats good to know.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

i know! instead of having turrets, have batteries, which LOOK like turrets but are actually one "turret" with multiple firepoints. wait- but you still wouldn't be able to control them. you'd have to have them like permanently docked, but still be able to fire
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Why does everyone want to control the turrets individually?
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think it's best to have a few frontal turrets in player control, and have the rest 'automatic'.

(A game that does something like this is (Please don't kill me for mentioning this game!) Battlecruiser Millennium.)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well my system concept is multilayered. you can control turrets by setting their objectives, targets, and behavior. you can go to the battery level where you control a bunch of turrets manually. then to the individual turret level mostly useful for surgical strikes knocking out a ships engine with a bfgreen for example. most of the weapons you will want to be left on automatic. you can step up or down to the level needed.

a good gui is important here. the way i see it at the top level you should be able to drag ships off the tac map (really an oversized radar with icons (possibly 3d) to represent ships) and onto the target lists for individual turrets or batteries. the turrets would grouped by their general direction, you pick port, starbord, fore, aft, dorsal, or ventral. theese options form a pane. selecting one puts the targeting map into that frame of referance. all the batteries for that direction will be listed in a row next to it, each in its own little pane with its options. you can select a battery and its individual guns would be displayed as a second row under it. so you can quickly get to any battery, any gun, in any direction with no more than 3 clicks. each object has its own target list, which comes up when an object is selected. i figure the whole interface would take up the top 20% of the hud. possibly with side panels and the tac map taking up the rest of the screen for the high level mode. when you put a turret or battery into manual the tac map is minimized and the view changes to the proper frame of referance.

turrets/batteries could be set to agressive, defensive, or disarmed. when you drop to turret or battery mode (by selecting the turret or battery from a list), turrets can only be fired by direct command and aimed by mouse, the agressive/defensive/disarmed option is replaced with ripple fire options. you only can manually fire turrets in battery (or the selected turret), all other turrets use ai behavior depending on the high level settings.

I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN