Author Topic: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo  (Read 81995 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo
Do you get access to alien weaponry from weapons that you pick up and bring with you from missions?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline LHN91

So my first kill was juuust interesting enough to register a single sentence.  :p Might take a shot at a post-mission log tonight, if I can put a decent piece together.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Do you get access to alien weaponry from weapons that you pick up and bring with you from missions?

More or less. You grab it off dead aliens at mission's end, unless you manually drag it into the Triton and abort. Once you research them you can build your own, but there's rarely a reason to. Maybe if you're absolutely starved for pistol or rifle ammo (or Thermal Shok Bombs, which happened to me once), but actual weapons not so much.

Every Sonic Cannon we're using right now was recovered from the battlefield by Squad 1. Similiarly back in HLPX-COM 1, every weapon that went to Cydonia, aside from the guns on the Laser Tanks, was recovered from the battlefield and turned against its makers.

You can't use weapons until they're researched; presumably they have some kind of safety systems that have to be bypassed or made to recognize humans as valid users.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
hell yes :D we survived.

i'm assuming that the squad 2 is in magnetic armor, right?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
i'm assuming that the squad 2 is in magnetic armor, right?

Yes. Hell, I wouldn't send anyone out at this point without it unless there was no way to get it to them and we really needed a warm body.

A Feddie Story

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
You can't use weapons until they're researched; presumably they have some kind of safety systems that have to be bypassed or made to recognize humans as valid users.

Or maybe that's because your troops need to know what it's meant to do, how to perform maintenance on it, how to reload it properly, and last but not least the risks of using it.  Many of these weapons might not be designed for human hands and require modification to use.  It might not be immediately obvious how to fire them, and operating some of the more exotic alien weapons (Like the waypoint-following Blaster Bombs) might involve far more then "point at enemy, pull trigger".

These aren't simple firearms that you can just pick up and take apart.  These are exotic alien weapons that employ unfamiliar technologies and might operate on physics principles that were previously unknown to mankind.  And it is very important that human soldiers are able to use them safely without the weapon blowing up in their hands and spraying hot plasma everywhere.

Hense, figuring out how to use one takes a significant amount of lab time, especially when one considers the safety precautions the scientists need to use.  But once that is done, it's not terribly difficult for the engineers to just copy the alien weapon design, even if they don't fully understand the physics behind the weapon.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
While there's truth to that, some of them (the rifle and pistol in particular) are fairly clear how to use; but you simply cannot pick them up and fire them even in an emergency.

Putting human on the userlist is sadly one of the most important steps.

A Feddie Story

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well, the problem is with the weapons' safety mechanism. Each weapon is specifically tailored so that only a handful of "users" may actually be able to fire it. Some of them, particularly the more advanced models, require a psionic / molecular synchronicity with said users.

We think this is the Alien's countermeasure to having enemy combatants (us) picking up their weapons in the field and using it against them, then and there. By slowing us down, they essentially buy time so that their engineers and commanders can form new technology and strategies against their lost tech. (On the good side, it seems we've been reverse engineering faster than they can form effective tactics and new tech)

So far, we haven't been able to fully mimic the safety mechanism... we only understand enough to disable the damn thing so that we can strap on some pistol grips and a trigger that humans can use (It's absolutely ridiculous how sensitive their triggers are! some are as delicate as half an ounce of pressure to discharge!)
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
So far, we haven't been able to fully mimic the safety mechanism... we only understand enough to disable the damn thing so that we can strap on some pistol grips and a trigger that humans can use (It's absolutely ridiculous how sensitive their triggers are! some are as delicate as half an ounce of pressure to discharge!)

Except that once you research what it is, you can now pick it up from alien corpses without any loss in functionality.  Clearly, the bottleneck isn't in the physical design of the weapon.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
You mean to tell me the operatives are able to use them without modifications?

Sheesh. There's a couple thousand bucks wasted on special order customizations. I'm guessing somebody developed a molecular synchronizer without the adequate paperwork. Great.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah, pretty much.  If some shmuck of a new recruit picks one up off the field, he can just start shooting (if you have it researched).

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
About an hour after dawn, local time, two hundred and fifty kilometers off the Irish coast. This is normally Squad 1's territory, but Squad 2 needs more experience, so they were sent out for this mission.

The tank is playing peekabo with a Lobsterman, which has actually managed to damage it slightly. LHN91 joins the exclusive “I legitimately oneshot a Lobsterman” club when he spots another one while moving to support. (After three other people missed it.)

The tank blasts its dance partner after having wounded it in the arm twice over the last two turns.

The accuracy issues that Squad 2 didn't have in the last mission are killing them this time, as all but three people on the team missed their shot (two of the others couldn't draw a line of fire, and Rhymes_With_PSYCHO hit with one and missed with one).

He responds to the Sonic shots flying all around him by throwing a grenade...which strikes an intervening object and the damn idiot's actually inside the blast radius of his own grenade.

Rhymes_With_PSYCHO's third shot is not a miss. Scratch one very stupid Lobsterman.

pecenipicek confronts an alien inside their ship at point-blank range. It shoots him twice in the chestplate with a Sonic Rifle, and is very unhappy to discover this doesn't do ****. Unfortunately neither he nor Hades putting rounds into its head and chest appear to bother the Lobsterman very much either.

Then one of the next two rounds the alien fires penetrates, badly injuring pecenipicek; he goes down and goes into shock almost instantly. Hades blasts the alien in response, killing it.

Due to his injuries pecenipicek will be out of action for over two months, so we're transferring in Doc Fox from Squad 3 to fill the gap until Squad 3 gets its own Triton.

A Feddie Story

About an hour after dawn, local time, two hundred and fifty kilometers off the Irish coast. This is normally Squad 1's territory, but Squad 2 needs more experience, so they were sent out for this mission.

What?!  Those scummy rat-bastards are horning in on our territory?!  Do they think we're just going to sit back and take that kind of treatment?

You're damn right we'll sit back and let them do the heavy lifting!  I don't care if it's called paid holiday or not, any time I can spend lounging at base, instead of visiting an alien cross-fire, sealed in an air-tight sweatbox, is time well spent!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:11:26 am by BlueFlames »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Personal Log, MP-Ryan

Squad 2 spent today hunting aliens in our theatre of operations.  The boys from Squad 1 and I spent the day relaxing by the [moon]pool in lawn chairs, drinks in hand, poker chips on the table.  I think it's pretty obvious who came out the better in this command decision.  Also, I am not playing poker with these fellows ever again.  I've been forced to req' cheap tequila, and that doesn't bode well for anyone...
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I've killed a few people
Good thing I've lived up to my name
"No"

Offline mxlm

How many fatalities have we suffered at this point? They seem extremely few and far between.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Madcat

Personal Log: Madcat / Entry #3
Date: [Redacted]

So, my Squad finally got a Triton and proceeded to engage in combat operations.

I am certainly not one to believe in luck, at least I never had much of it when rolling the dice or playing cards. So I didn't care about the rumours trickling over from HLPX-COM Squad 1, stating that the commander would have the luckiest hands and barely ever lost an operative. You know how people tend to blow things out of proportions the farther information spreads, and you never get to the truth anyways until you go in and experience yourself.
Well, two missions in with a squad of guys all as green behind the ears as myself, I start to get a sense of where the rumours come from. We encountered some really gnarly alien freaks already, but except for one bad injury we came out pretty much unscathed. Everything went well beyond my expectations. Racked up two kills on the first mission myself, not a bad way to start!

At this point I don't care whether it is luck, fate or supreme commanding skills, as long as everything goes that well I'm not complaining about anything. Well, except about the rancid smell inside this oh so shiny looking armor. But I suspect that might be coming from myself...

[End Log Entry #3]

Offline Doc Fox

[Medical Officer's log; Entry 2. @ Squad 3 MedBay]

Seems someone screwed up my paperwork. They must have lost the page with my qualifications... the fools in admin put me in to the medbay. Dammit Jim, I'm a Molecular Biologist, not a doctor! Lets see how this goes then... Luckily most of the gear is automated. Good thing too, you don't want to be waiting for more medical staff when fooling around with pressure, or when in a remote location. Suppose I'll go make myself a cup of tea, and draft a letter to see about getting reassigned to a more suitable post...

[End log.]

[Amendment #1 @ Squad 3 Hanger]

Seems someone recognised the flaw! I'm being transferred out today to join squad 2. At least they'll have samples to work on...

[Amendment #2 @ Squad 2 Hanger]

...What exactly do you mean by "You're a trooper"?!

Hi Guys!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Sandwich's Personal Log, Date: [redacted] (We really could stand to see the geoscape, NGTM-1R...)

Logistics. It's all about logistics.

Those of us in Squad 3 have been here for days, weeks even, sitting on our collective arses - and why?

Lack of activity in our area?

Nope.

Insufficient training?

Nope again.

Poor quality equipment?

Third time's a nope.

The reason is logistics. The ability to get from point A to point B. And Squad 3, dear reader, has no such capability. We can't leave this base! We're stuck here, geared up and ready to go, but with no way to actually get there! Seems like a waste of resources to me... I mean, we're getting our salary, getting paid pretty good money as a matter of fact... and for what? To SIT ON OUR BUTTS.

A few of the other troopers are going a bit stir-crazy about this whole thing, (semi?)-jokingly threatening to assault the next UFO crash site in the escape modules. I've seen the looks in their eyes every time we get reports about the other HLPX-Com facilities' missions, especially when good soldiers get wounded... times like that, I almost pity the first aliens Squad 3 encounters.

Almost.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:14:37 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline LHN91

LHN91 - Post-Mission Log

Apparently, I am far better at this whole "killing aliens" business than I thought I would be.

I mean, when I signed up, I just hoped I survived my first mission. And here I am, in my second mission, managing to single shot a Lobsterman right at the beginning of the mission after 3 other people managed to shoot right past it.

Maybe I'm a bit more cut out for this job than I thought.

Maybe I'm speaking too soon.