Author Topic: Strange error  (Read 1296 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Hey guys!

When I try to load a certain mission from my mod using the debug build of 3.8.0, I get this strange error:

Code: [Select]
Assert: "(check == this || !check)"
File: jumpnode.cpp
Line: 232

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_0_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! <no symbol>

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This Assertion is hit because you have at least two jump nodes in that mission that have the same name or a jump node that gets the name of an already existing node assigned. Jump node names must be unique.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Indeed, that was the problem! Thanks.

For my further education, what does the line: Assert: "(check == this || !check)" mean?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To a non-coder, that line means nothing (which is why it's going to get changed in an upcoming nightly). You need to have the source code available to make sense of it; what it means is that an assertion has failed (assertions are things we use to check data, they exist to check if incoming data falls within the expected range for a given function). In this particular case, the engine tried to look up the new name in its list of existing jump nodes. The assertion then checked if it found the jump node being renamed (the "check == this" part), or if the jump node it found existed at all (the "!check" part). If either of those checks fail, the assertion is triggered.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline HLD_Prophecy

To a non-coder, that line means nothing (which is why it's going to get changed in an upcoming nightly). You need to have the source code available to make sense of it; what it means is that an assertion has failed (assertions are things we use to check data, they exist to check if incoming data falls within the expected range for a given function). In this particular case, the engine tried to look up the new name in its list of existing jump nodes. The assertion then checked if it found the jump node being renamed (the "check == this" part), or if the jump node it found existed at all (the "!check" part). If either of those checks fail, the assertion is triggered.

Thanks for the explanation, I'm no code wizard but I do like to think about what's going on behind the scenes. Stretches my mind. :)