Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670897 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.0 public alpha [Updated 2012/05/30]
Hi!

Because this is short path. If I execute this command:
Code: [Select]
echo >C:\TMP\test.fileI get test.file in C:\TMP dir, contain: "ECHO ON".

I see C:\TMP driectory rights, and I see, I have full access to this directory.
Okay. So after some more research.

1) Try running wxLauncher as a normal user with you antivirus disabled.  What antivirus software are you running?
2) Microsfot KB 892613 sounds like it may apply to this situation, please try the hotfix in the KB if you feel safe to do so.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline totya

Hi!

Because this is short path. If I execute this command:
echo >C:\TMP\test.fileI get test.file in C:\TMP dir, contain: "ECHO ON".

I see C:\TMP driectory rights, and I see, I have full access to this directory.
Okay. So after some more research.

1) Try running wxLauncher as a normal user with you antivirus disabled.  What antivirus software are you running?
2) Microsfot KB 892613 sounds like it may apply to this situation, please try the hotfix in the KB if you feel safe to do so.

Hi!

My system is working correctly. Problem with only this application. Why do you think this is problem with my computer and not with wxLauncher? All other applications working correctly.
I try turn off already my antiviurs and other defense software, but nothing change. Antivir Avira & Comodo firewall my defense systems.

I see this hotfix, but this is old date,
Kernelbase.dll patch version is: 6.1.7600.20693
Kernelbase.dll on my system: 6.1.7601.17651, 6.1.7601.21772 etc... this is newer than patch date.

But if I run this patch, patcher is say (translated): This patch is invalid for this computer. I try x86, x64 patch too (not ia64). This is old patch, and outdated I think, and I see.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Hi!

My system is working correctly. Problem with only this application. Why do you think this is problem with my computer and not with wxLauncher? All other applications working correctly.
I try turn off already my antiviurs and other defense software, but nothing change. Antivir Avira & Comodo firewall my defense systems.

I see this hotfix, but this is old date,
Kernelbase.dll patch version is: 6.1.7600.20693
Kernelbase.dll on my system: 6.1.7601.17651, 6.1.7601.21772 etc... this is newer than patch date.

But if I run this patch, patcher is say (translated): This patch is invalid for this computer. I try x86, x64 patch too (not ia64). This is old patch, and outdated I think, and I see.
Hello

I think the problem may be with your system because you are the first (or at least the first to report this problem) of almost 10,000 downloads of wxLauncher for Windows.  More specifically I think it might by a problem with your system because the code that is failing, I did not write, it comes from the wxWidgets project which has been in existence for over 10 years.  Of course, that doesn't mean wxWidgets doesn't have a problem as well, but it is unlikely.  In addition the specific function that is failing with the access denied error, is GetTempFileName which is a windows system call; this is why I suggested the hotfix.

I had noticed that the hotfix was older, but it didn't call out what service pack it was for so I figured may as well try it.  However the hotfix is the first result in google for "GetTempFileName Access Denied", which is the problem that you are having.  This made the hotfix seem like a good idea to try, especially after reading the description it could very well have been the cause of the problem.

Either way, please don't take offence to the solutions that I am proposing. Its not personal, am not attacking you, its just tech support.  That is, I am trying out ideas in the hope that something works because as noted above most people do not have this problem. Yes, I am just guessing at this point.  Sometimes it happens in tech support.  If you have further ideas, they are more than welcome, however keep in mind what I noted above, most people have not had a problem with this, so either your system is causing wxLauncher (and/or wxWidgets, and/or GetTempFileName) to hit an edge case.  The question right now is, which one is it.

I have reviewed what you have written previously and I have some more questions (read, shots in the dark):
1) Why does TMP need to be a short path?
2) What is the output of:
cacls %TMP%
cacls %TEMP%
cacls %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp
3) Try running wxLauncher after defining TMPDIR to be C:\Users\totya\AppData\Local\Temp
4) I have googled both of you Anti Virus products (why 2?) and they don't appear to have a specific reputation for interfering with temporary file creation (not really a surprise, but some Anti Virus can be really bad about interfering with a system).
5) The fix for the joystick calibration issue is in trunk and will be in the next release of wxLauncher. Thank you for pointing it out.

I'm am sorry wxLauncher currently isn't working for you and I appreciate your being willing to try ideas out to figure out what the problem is.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline totya

Hi!

I'm now return from work.

...I had noticed that the hotfix was older, but it didn't call out what service pack it was for so I figured may as well try it.  However the hotfix is the first result in google for "GetTempFileName Access Denied", which is the problem that you are having.  This made the hotfix seem like a good idea to try, especially after reading the description it could very well have been the cause of the problem.

I answered already:
... if I run this patch, patcher is say (translated): This patch is invalid for this computer. I try x86, x64 patch too (not ia64).

...please don't take offence to the solutions that I am proposing. Its not personal, am not attacking you, its just tech support.

For me don't need this app, I try is, because I want look it, and I want help for developer, because I'm a good tester.

At the moment your app is can't run on windows 7 system, if temp path is different from original.

I have reviewed what you have written previously and I have some more questions (read, shots in the dark):
1) Why does TMP need to be a short path?
2) What is the output of:
cacls %TMP%
cacls %TEMP%
3) Try running wxLauncher after defining TMPDIR to be C:\Users\totya\AppData\Local\Temp
4) I have googled both of you Anti Virus products (why 2?) and they don't appear to have a specific reputation for interfering with temporary file creation (not really a surprise, but some Anti Virus can be really bad about interfering with a system).
5) The fix for the joystick calibration issue is in trunk and will be in the next release of wxLauncher. Thank you for pointing it out.

Answer for your questions:

1. Different temp path is very popular, see google. Short path is need, if I don't want use cleaner applications. Delete temp files is recommended, example before install application, and I see easy this directory, contain, size...

cacls %TMP%
C:\Tmp NT AUTHORITY\Hitelesített felhasználók:(OI)(CI)F
       totya-PC\totya:(OI)(CI)F
       BUILTIN\Felhasználók:(OI)(CI)F
       BUILTIN\Rendszergazdák:(ID)F
       BUILTIN\Rendszergazdák:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(ID)F
       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
       BUILTIN\Felhasználók:(OI)(CI)(ID)R
       NT AUTHORITY\Hitelesített felhasználók:(ID)C
       NT AUTHORITY\Hitelesített felhasználók:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)C

cacls %TEMP% see: cacls %TMP%

C:\Users\totya\AppData\Local\Temp NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
                                 BUILTIN\Rendszergazdák:(OI)(CI)F
                                 totya-PC\totya:(OI)(CI)F

translate:
Felhasználók - users
Rendszergazdák - administrators
Hitelesített felhasználók: authorized users

3. Run without problem.

I have googled both of you Anti Virus products (why 2?)

Avira free antivirus is realtime virus scanner only. Comodo firewall is firewall, and proactive defense system. This is three different things.

5. Okay.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
1. Different temp path is very popular, see google. Short path is need, if I don't want use cleaner applications. Delete temp files is recommended, example before install application, and I see easy this directory, contain, size...
However, given that there's an easy tool for just this purpose that comes with Windows, this, to me, seems like one of those cargo-cult type things people keep doing because they've been doing them for a long time (like messing with Windows' pagefile settings for no reason).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I answered already:
... if I run this patch, patcher is say (translated): This patch is invalid for this computer. I try x86, x64 patch too (not ia64).
Sorry if I wasn't clear. That meant as an explanation of the reasoning, not a request for you to try again.

For me don't need this app, I try is, because I want look it, and I want help for developer, because I'm a good tester.
Okay.  Thank you. And thanks to your perseverance, I have now been able to reproduce your issue and because I could run the debugger on the code, I was able to quickly come up with a fix.

The problem wasn't that wxLauncher couldn't handle paths that were different than default, but it couldn't handle paths that did not have their immediate parent directory writable by wxLauncher.  So in the case of C:\TMP, we were actually trying to use C:\ as the directory and TMP as the prefix of the temp filename.  And now because, a normal user cannot write to C:\ (or at least CreateTempFileName refuses to create a temp file in C:\) resulting the Access Denied.

Please try this new build. It contains both the fix for the temp dir issue and for calibrate not working.  Please test and see if it is actually fixed.

Offline totya

The problem wasn't that wxLauncher couldn't handle paths that were different than default, but it couldn't handle paths that did not have their immediate parent directory writable by wxLauncher.  So in the case of C:\TMP, we were actually trying to use C:\ as the directory...

Hi!

Okay, this is clean now, this is wxLauncher code error, because this app not uses Temp directory, this app uses parent of Temp directory.

New build is working correctly, and joystick calibrate window dialog is opened now. Thanks, good job.

If I try quick compare launcher 5.5g and wxLauncher, I look these differents, these missings from wxLauncher:

- easy setup/all feature on
- video/aniso/AA settings (In game I don't see AA working with this settings)
- video general setings (lowest-high, "highest" option is missing but recommended :) ), use large textures checkbox..
- audio/enable EFX (new speech effect on 3.6.14)
- registry tab (show regisry settings)

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I'm glad that the new build works. Thanks for your help with tracking down the problem. We really appreciate your feedback.

As for your comparison of 5.5g and wxL, here's an explanation:

- easy setup/all feature on
I removed "all features on" because it didn't make sense to me -- what would it mean for all features to be on? I was concerned that that option would confuse people. The "flag sets" box needs some more work, since it should change after you apply a flag set and then change the flag list yourself.

- video/aniso/AA settings (In game I don't see AA working with this settings)
The anisotropic filtering and AA settings for FSO currently don't work in Windows. They do, however, work in Linux and OS X, so those settings appear in wxL on those platforms. Once they're working on Windows, the settings will be added to the Windows version of wxL.

- video general setings (lowest-high, "highest" option is missing but recommended :) ), use large textures checkbox..
Adjusting the general settings in 5.5g didn't seem to have an effect the last time I tried, but as I remember, they change the in-game detail settings and correspond to the detail presets available in the in-game options. The "highest" option is deceptive in that it doesn't really max out all detail settings, which is the main reason I decided to leave the general settings out.

"Use large textures" and "Fix font distortion problem" are from when FSO used Direct3D. Now that FSO only uses OpenGL, those options aren't needed.

- audio/enable EFX (new speech effect on 3.6.14)
This is the new sound code that was added after 3.6.12 was released. I'm currently working on adding support for it. It will appear in the next version (0.9.1).

It would take significant work to make something like this on all platforms in wxL, and my opinion is that this functionality is really for advanced users. If people need to check the registry (or fs2_open.ini on OS X/Linux), they can use regedit on Windows (or a text editor on OS X/Linux). Also note that wxL doesn't make any changes to your registry until you press the Play button.

Hope that helps, and thanks for your help.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Seems silly to implement a registry tab if we're going to go over to using .ini files eventually anyway.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As someone who spends a lot of time on FSO support, what features would you like to see included before you think it could replace 5.5g

Not rightly sure. A separate button that does the following, maybe?

1. Launch the appropriate debug build for the currently selected build
2. After that exits, pop up a window with the log in [code] tags ready to be copypasta'd into a forum post
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Just compiled and started wxLauncher on Lubuntu. The readme is well-written, allowing a linux noob like me to build an actual program :yes:

Encountered an issue with the program itself though. In the Basic Settings tab, FS2 or TC root folder selector: the pop-up window won't allow me to choose a directory, I only get ' cancel'  and 'open'  buttons.
Then a couple cosmetic things:
- w/o root folder selected, the Mods and Advanced Settings tabs both tell me that I should select a root folder; however they do so in different ways. The Mods tab has a nice panel with an info icon and message (word wrap is a little screwed up here), the Advanced Settings tab has a fairly cheapo-looking black-on-white message (also with bad word wrap).
- The 'Check out these links' window is sized a little poorly, see screenshot.

[attachment deleted by a ninja]

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
It would take significant work to make something like this on all platforms in wxL, and my opinion is that this functionality is really for advanced users. If people need to check the registry (or fs2_open.ini on OS X/Linux), they can use regedit on Windows (or a text editor on OS X/Linux). Also note that wxL doesn't make any changes to your registry until you press the Play button.
Truthfully, consolidating it would make a lot of sense.  And is something that I have thought about implementing (though is a more generic way, probably using wxLauncher's internal representation of the data that is stored in the registry).  This would probably implemented as part of the "I have a technical problem that I cannot solve" button or as a special support ninja menu (maybe accessible only via a keyboard combo) that has various debugging tools that the ninja's can ask people to use.  It definitely does not need to be visible by default though.

Seems silly to implement a registry tab if we're going to go over to using .ini files eventually anyway.
True, but wxLauncher still builds a representation of the settings internally that we could make available, and once reading the existing settings works (which would require implementation for every system anyway) we would always have that feature covered.

Just compiled and started wxLauncher on Lubuntu. The readme is well-written, allowing a linux noob like me to build an actual program :yes:
Thats good to hear.

Encountered an issue with the program itself though. In the Basic Settings tab, FS2 or TC root folder selector: the pop-up window won't allow me to choose a directory, I only get ' cancel'  and 'open'  buttons.
You should only get a cancel and an open button.  You don't get a file tree to pick from?  Can you please screenshot this?

- w/o root folder selected, the Mods and Advanced Settings tabs both tell me that I should select a root folder; however they do so in different ways. The Mods tab has a nice panel with an info icon and message (word wrap is a little screwed up here), the Advanced Settings tab has a fairly cheapo-looking black-on-white message (also with bad word wrap).
Thanks. That is something we had forgotten about in the 'excitement' of the issues we have had with that tab. We will definitely make sure that it gets the same treatment that the Mods tab gets.

- The 'Check out these links' window is sized a little poorly, see screenshot.
Is that the default font size for your system?  It seems to be absurdly large. The wxLauncher window is the same height (in pixels) as what I have here but the font is much larger all around. Hmm....

You should only get a cancel and an open button.  You don't get a file tree to pick from?  Can you please screenshot this?

It's the regular file selection window, just with all files greyed out and only directories selectable. But I can't find a way to actually return a folder: the "Open" button will just go into the directory and display its contents, instead of returning to the launcher.

Is that the default font size for your system?  It seems to be absurdly large. The wxLauncher window is the same height (in pixels) as what I have here but the font is much larger all around. Hmm....

It appears to be the default font size, yeah. Now that you mention it, it is kinda large compared to my Windows boot. It's a fresh install of Lubuntu 12.04 though, can't remember to have fiddled with the font sizes.

Offline totya

As for your comparison of 5.5g and wxL, here's an explanation: (...)

Thanks for answers.

"all features on" this is mean for me: all-features-on. :) All new features turned on, example all graphics enhanced options, all 3D HUD options, all gameplay options etc. It's not really important, but short way.

Other: In "lighting preset" tab, I think good idea add to MediaVP 3.6.12 deafult recommended preset.

==> In the "Custom Flags field" copy & paste (Without the quotes):
   "-ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5"

But it's not important.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Just as a general announcement, I'm in the middle of preparing for a 3,000-mile (4,800 km) relocation for the summer, so responses may be slow for the next several days. That said...

Thanks. That is something we had forgotten about in the 'excitement' of the issues we have had with that tab. We will definitely make sure that it gets the same treatment that the Mods tab gets.
Yeah, we'll work on coming up with something better, although a start might be wrapping the text to suit whatever font size is in use. Currently, the newlines are hardcoded into the messages.

It's the regular file selection window, just with all files greyed out and only directories selectable. But I can't find a way to actually return a folder: the "Open" button will just go into the directory and display its contents, instead of returning to the launcher.
Hmm, interesting. Iss or I should probably get Lubuntu and see if we can reproduce this.

It appears to be the default font size, yeah. Now that you mention it, it is kinda large compared to my Windows boot. It's a fresh install of Lubuntu 12.04 though, can't remember to have fiddled with the font sizes.
What's the default font size for your system? In GNOME, you can check it from the menu using System >> Preferences >> Appearance and then selecting the Fonts tab, but I don't know offhand how to check it in LXDE, which is what Lubuntu uses. I'm using Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) and the default font size is 10, and all of the text fits fine. We'll see what we can do to make that text area scrollable and/or perhaps enforce a specific font size in that text area.

"all features on" this is mean for me: all-features-on. :) All new features turned on, example all graphics enhanced options, all 3D HUD options, all gameplay options etc. It's not really important, but short way.
Hm, ok, but your definition of "all features on" doesn't seem to fit the FSO team's definition (see here, starting at the line
Flag exe_params[] = So once again, I didn't want to confuse users when it wasn't clear what "all features on" meant.

Other: In "lighting preset" tab, I think good idea add to MediaVP 3.6.12 deafult recommended preset.

"-ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5"

But it's not important.
This setting used to be in the wiki until Zacam changed it last July, which led me to believe that that setting was no longer the FSU team's recommended setting, which is why it's not in the launcher.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Yeah, we'll work on coming up with something better, although a start might be wrapping the text to suit whatever font size is in use. Currently, the newlines are hardcoded into the messages.

Shoulda been more clear on this - the text already auto-wraps to stay within the allotted space. So removing the hard-coded newlines should suffice.

Hmm, interesting. Iss or I should probably get Lubuntu and see if we can reproduce this.

Perhaps niffiwan might be able to help, he seems to be running Lubuntu as well.

What's the default font size for your system? In GNOME, you can check it from the menu using System >> Preferences >> Appearance and then selecting the Fonts tab, but I don't know offhand how to check it in LXDE, which is what Lubuntu uses. I'm using Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) and the default font size is 10, and all of the text fits fine. We'll see what we can do to make that text area scrollable and/or perhaps enforce a specific font size in that text area.

Apparently I'm using font size 11. In LXDE it's [Menu] -> Preferences -> Customize look and feel.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'm happy to help - "technically" I'm not running Lubuntu, rather Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity & XFCE installed - I *think* I can just install the relevant LXDE stuff (I think lubuntu-desktop is the package) and just login with a different session to get Lubuntu.

Anyway - it's probably best to start with a screenshot as requested by Iss Mneur :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Ehm, this is kind of embarassing. The folder selection works now :nervous:

However! Since I had troubles executing FSO from a mounted partition, I copied the FSO directory to my /home/user. But now I cannot change the location of the root folder in wxLauncher. The Browse button is gone, and I can't type in the box either.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Screenshots, please. :)

If you could paste the contents of the profile you're using in code tags, that would also help. The profiles are located in /home/<YourUsername>/.wxlauncher/ and are of the form pro#####.ini. The default profile is stored in pro00000.ini. If you're using a profile other than the default one, you'll need to search through the folder and look at the files in a text editor to find the one you're using.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, did you use make install to install wxL to /usr/local/, or did you use development mode to avoid having to do that? If the latter, then I'm not sure that you can just copy and paste the folder and have it work, since the paths might be baked in. You might need to rebuild wxL in that case.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:30:29 am by jg18 »

Offline totya

But it's not important.
This setting used to be in the wiki until Zacam changed it last July, which led me to believe that that setting was no longer the FSU team's recommended setting, which is why it's not in the launcher.

Hi!

Official MediaVP thread install instruction show "old" preset. If user can't see this mediawiki (I dont see this never before you show), then user type "old" preset, if want use MediaVP.
This is clean logic. If you know this information:  recommended preset is "old" in MediaVP thread, then show this; example:

Now visible preset name in wxLauncher:

"Baseline recommended" - this is wrong name.

"Baseline recommended (with MediaVP too, 7 July 2011)" - this is correct name. Please do not hide any important information from wxLauncher  users :)