Author Topic: World of Warships - Now Available  (Read 279160 times)

Offline Gray

Re: World of Warships - Now Available
Love my Warspite, grand old lady indeed.
The Kutuzov ain't bad, considering that ship can take slightly more then an Atlanta.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline crizza

I don't understand DDs firing from smoke without breaking stealth...
Some guys say, they have to stop moving, so staying in place...
Just yesterday, a Lo Yang fired a full spread, of which my Col took three or four torps, repaired, fixed the hull, while that little bugger dropped smoke and I swear by god, the DD was gliding backwards into the smoke, blasting away merily, at a range of 4,6km and I could not detect him.
Granted, blind firing hit him once or twice.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't understand DDs firing from smoke without breaking stealth...

You are bad and should feel bad. Literally every ship in the game can fire from or through smoke without breaking stealth. The fact he can still see you is either because he's smart enough to know where you are since you don't move much or someone else is spotting you.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline crizza

THere are contradicting information on this topic.
Whenever I ask ingame it's either a "They need to stay still", "firing increases detection range" and so on.
I'm not complaining that he hit me, cause a Tirpitz was homing in anyway, just the fact that he was moving, while firing at very close range.
But thanks anyway for your kind reply.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The stopping bit is for staying inside your smoke screen, speed has no effect on concealment values.  Smoke is deployed astern so gun dependent DDs tend to stop, reverse or creep along to get the maximum use out of the screen.  You have a base concealment range subject to flags/upgrades/skills, firing guns decreases your concealment range.  A few ships can pull of invisi-firing, that is their max gun range is farther than their concealment radius while firing.  Smoke screen reduces visibility to a few km unless you are running a cruiser with active Hydro Acoustic. 

The long and short of it is if you are a BB stay the frak away from smoke screens.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:15:43 am by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Gray

THere are contradicting information on this topic.
Whenever I ask ingame it's either a "They need to stay still", "firing increases detection range" and so on.
I'm not complaining that he hit me, cause a Tirpitz was homing in anyway, just the fact that he was moving, while firing at very close range.
But thanks anyway for your kind reply.

Spoon posted already the sheet with the Invisifiring ranges.
Ideally, a DD should slow down to ~50% before popping the smoke when sailing parallel to the enemy, as the smoke is layed in clouds every 5 seconds.
When you  can see them pop in and out of visibilty while laying a smoke screen, they are moving to fast.
When sailing away from the enemy, the DD can keep full speed as the smoke is layed behing him.

Some players will drive slowly forward and backward in the smoke screen, first off to avoid possible blind shots fired into the smoke and more importantly, to avoid getting torped.

Can't speak for others, but it helps me a lot to check what DDs are on the enemy team, and follow the battle progression.
Which DD got already nailed, and which is still alive.
While i do not actively steer my ship in every smoke screen i can find, i tend to do so under certain circumstances.
If i see a smoke screen ahead and a wave of torps just came out of it, i check which of the DDs is still in play.

Recently, i had a game where two DDs were still alive, a Shimakaze and a Fletcher.
A quick peek on the minimap revealed that the Fletcher was far away running from our CAs, while the Shima was nowhere to be seen until the smoke screen popped up.
I managed to dodge the waves of torps (apart from one ) and i knew the Shima has to wait until the Torps reload.
Because the screen was nearby, i headed straight into the screen and while my salvo didn't kill him, i managed to ram him. 

Would there have been more DDs on the enmy team left, i would have turned away from the screen, as sometimes, and this is more common when DDs are in Divisions, they share each others smokescreens which prolongs the time they can hide, to either invisifire or spam torps. 

Offline crizza

And there goes nothing :D
The Königsberg performed just great today.
Apart from being called an RNGwhore from a Kongo, which was not able to citadel my ship, the battle was great, managed to kill an Ishizuchi, took one torp from the enemy CV and torched him enough to sink him via fire, after his secondaries killed me :D
If the Nürnberg is as much fun as that bugger, I'm satisfied :D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I imagine it was mildly disconcerting for the reds when Atago erupted from their Fubuki's smoke screen and proceeded to go full Pan Paka Pan Death Blossom mode in the middle of their formation.  Punched the tickets for the Fubuki, New Mex and New Orleans in under 30 seconds then took a chunk out of the Cleveland's hide before they took me down.  If I had realized quicker that the repair party was mapped to Y instead of the usual T as for BBs I may have kept enough in the tank to have taken him as well.  Between securing B and the kills, especially removing both DDs, I gave the team a solid lead on points and allowed our two Fusos and Lex to clean up the remaining to CAs with impunity.  Even if one Fuso thought he was going to go find the enemy Lex instead of securing the cap, cause yeah he totally was going to chase a converted battlecruiser hull down.

Offline crizza

I'm feeling dirty :D
A cruiser torched a Fuso and I had four kills, but because I wanted the Kraken unleashed achievement, I stole the kill.
Apart from that the day went pretty well, torped a DD with my Mustsuki without knowing that there was an enemy, barely survived a battle with my Tirpitz against an enemy Colorado, Myoko and Hatsuharu.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Oh, YOU feel dirty? Look at that delicious 3.7k base XP.

Opened the game by closing within 6 km of an oblivious North Carolina and dumping the entirety of my torpedo loadout into its broadside. Then, turned my attention to its screen: killed two enemy Shimakazes and a Benson with guns. Nuked an Ibuki that was scarpering off with its tail between its legs. Then hunted down an Amagi that had somehow managed to slip by and was harrying our BBs.

I soloed the entirety of the enemy push down A in Shattter and then moved to B for extra caps and my well-deserved cocktail.

Kekkon ****e kudasai, Shimakaze-chan?

'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Purple Glow Battleship achieved.  The 150 planes objective proved a major roadblock, I was going nowhere with that objective until I started maining Nagato and the planes started coming to me.  Slap on the cat fighter and the AA signal flag and she actually proved pretty adept at swatting down planes.  She of course punched out the final million points of damage objective in a couple nights' sessions.

Nagato is such a superlative BB, she ticks off all the qualities you could want in a battleship so long as it doesn't involve going fast.  Those 41cm guns just reach out and wreck whatever you aim for.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
*snip*
Purple Glow Battleship achieved.  The 150 planes objective proved a major roadblock, I was going nowhere with that objective until I started maining Nagato and the planes started coming to me.  Slap on the cat fighter and the AA signal flag and she actually proved pretty adept at swatting down planes.  She of course punched out the final million points of damage objective in a couple nights' sessions.

Nagato is such a superlative BB, she ticks off all the qualities you could want in a battleship so long as it doesn't involve going fast.  Those 41cm guns just reach out and wreck whatever you aim for.
No carrier, StarSlayer? Not that I would blame you if you had none. :blah:

I'm glad to hear Nagato is really good, though - I have a long way to go before getting her yet (haven't even unlocked Fusou yet) but there's no question I want her in my port.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I picked up a Zuiho but I had not schooled up enough on it to feel comfortable taking it out of PVE.  I wasn't willing to screw over a team with subpar CV work purely for strafing planes. 

Nagato is great, I absolutely love her to bits.   Some folks get miffed at first since they are accustomed to Fuso scoring hits because she blunderbusses 14" rounds all over the place.  Nagato is a rifle and if your aim isn't true the shots won't connect but once you master her guns she is an absolute terror.  I can jacknife CAs at range with single salvos and if the BBs within her typical MM show a flat surface she will cleave off massive amounts of HP.  I've smacked up Standards and Fusos and had them turn tail and even go hide behind an island the rest of the match.  Her armor when angled is fairly dependable and her casement secondaries are absolutely brutal if a soft-skin gets in range(seriously they will eat a Cleveland if they are dumb and overextend).  In Nagato I'm confident in squaring off against any other battleship or cruiser her MM typically sees knowing if I get jacked up its because the other player was better or I screwed the pooch, not because Nagato was outclassed.  If you can though free XP to her best hull, the base hull is terrible both the accuracy and shell pen are crap, she comes into her own when she's fully kitted out.

Finally she leads into Amagi which has ten of the same 41cm guns on a 30 knot platform.  As I mentioned Nagato can't flex, I've lost games because I couldn't waddle back and reset a cap.  Back in CBT I've run down DDs after they screwed a torp launch with Amagi.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Ahhh the Derpzki. Such a bliss when things go smoothy in this funny little dd, I'm seriously thinking not going up the line... this is just too much fun, even if my team manages to lose the match after my sinisterly crafted suicide runs.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Axem

What a fitting final battle for my Myoko. Brought me close enough to go grab the Mogami. (Well I'll get to play with it again as soon as the ARP Myoko mission is done...)

Fuso is odd. I don't think I like being out-ranged by cruisers. Even a Blyskawica can out-range me! Hit's hard though, but I don't like getting so close.

Offline Axem

The A Hull is hilariously embarrassing. Everything can out range and out drive you. When I was starting out, I went an entire match without being able to hit anything at all, and we still won. But it all changes after the first hull upgrade, range goes up significantly (goes from 13km to 20km range!). You'll be in love in no time.

Ooooooooh. I like the sound of that.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
And the Fuso isn't the only ship with a terrible A hull. The Amagi is pretty terrible, because it gets ****ty AP shells that can't penetrate properly. It also has an amazing AA rating of close to nothing. Izumo suffers from exactly the same issues, except, the Izumo never actually gets good, even with hull upgrades.
Nagato is not great at its stock hull, but its not glaringly handicapped like the Fuso is at stock.

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them