Author Topic: Suggested Command Line and VPs  (Read 3512 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Suggested Command Line and VPs
In my FAQ I've got a link to a nonexistant page on the wiki where I'd like to put up a few computer configurations with suggestions of which VPs and Command line options could be used to make the game run smoothly.

So what I'd like is for a few people to post their specs, build, which VPs they use and their command lines.

Then I can port my FAQ's installation guide to the wiki and add the new page :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: Suggested Command Line and VPs
AMD64 3000+
1024MB DDR400
GF6600GT (128 MB IIRC)

Performance varies quite a bit. Generally, I can run 1024x768x32-bit with all graphics-improving commandlines, everything else is pretty much inconsequential. Stuff like -pcx32 and -img2dds left off.

Usually lags come in when multiple high-poly models are onscreen, and/or I have anti-aliasing turned on. Generally, I use all the VPs (aside from mv_cell, of course). I've found that high-poly models are much more likely to cause lag than the animated glowmaps, for whatever reason, although I've not tried changing the model detail setting from its highest setting.
-C

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
My FSO setup is probably something of an outlier, but this is what I use:

FSO builds: 9/17/05, along with whatever the latest one is
Command lines: -spec -glow -jpgtga -dualscanlines -targetinfo -ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -snd_preload -env -alpha_env -fps  -allslev -ambient_factor 90 -ogl_spec 80
VPs: All 3.6.8 media VPs, with zero byte tbm files in \data\tables to override the ones in the VPs
Other settings: 2048x1536, 16x AA for OGL / 8x AA for D3D, 16x HQ AF

These settings give a constant 85fps at all times and play very smoothly on this hardware:
Opteron 146, running at 3003mhz
1024MB value memory, running at 187mhz 2-3-2
7800 GT SLI, both running at 500/575mhz

In your FAQ I think you should mention the ambient factor setting in particular. The default value for this is terrible in my opinion and changing it to 100 or less makes OpenGL mode look far better. Also, -env and -alpha_env only work in 9/17 and crash the game in D3D in most newer builds (OGL ignores these flags), but it works out okay since I don't use D3D except in 9/17.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_r.exe -mod media_vp -spec -glow -jpgtga -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -fps

P4 3.2 GHz
1GB Ram
Radeon 9000
OpenGL 1024x768

Comfortably runs adveffects.vp - 25 to 40 FPS usually
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I had expected a few more responses. Usually you get people come in to brag or whine about how crap their system is :D

I'll give it a couple more days.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
P4 3.6 GHz
1GB ram
Radeon X800XT
OGL 1600x1200 (no AA)

-glow -jpgtga -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 80 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_exp 11 -spec_static 1.2 -spec_tube 0.4 -spec

The command lines are a little out of date though, so some of the newer stuff isn't in there.  I don't like the orb (not partial to it), or the extra target info stuff, and I refuse to use the ballistic ammo gauge until someone makes it not-ugly-as-sin (what would be required for that?) but otherwise performance isn't an issue for me.  In general I would leave out the tweaking stuff as it's really a matter of personal preference.  The spec settings and ambient levels are useful things to have "recommended" settings for as they aren't obvious, but the gameplay/HUD related things are easy enough to pick out of the launcher.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah. I plan to make it a list of what settings are suggested purely from the point of view of not turning the game into a slideshow. I don't intend to mention the aesthetic command lines beyond stating their names and pointing out the command line reference page.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I had expected a few more responses. Usually you get people come in to brag or whine about how crap their system is Big grin

I'll give it a couple more days.

You may want to move the thread to the SCP forum or something. I'm not sure how many people come in here. :p

Offline Shade

Usually you get people come in to brag or whine about how crap their system is
I'll do even better, I'll brag about both how bad and how good my system is ;)

Old crap system can run FS_open using specular and glowpoints, but using any media VPs (well, haven't tried music) it grinds to a halt: Intel P4 1.8ghz, 512MB ram, 128MB GeForce 3. What is surprising is this system actually gets by rather well with the majority of semi-recent games, and I bet with a video card upgrade it would run FS_open at a reasonable framerate with mv_models and mv-effects at the very least.

New super system I built last week will take anything you can throw at it and ask for more: Athlon X2 4600+, 2GB ram, 256MB GeForce 7800GTX. In fact, I've noticed it doesn't even drop out of power saving mode most of the time, the cpu fan is practically idling, and the temp has yet to break 37C while running freespace. So that kind of system is rather overkill for the job at hand.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

AMD64 3000+
1024MB DDR400
GF6600GT (128 MB IIRC)

Performance varies quite a bit. Generally, I can run 1024x768x32-bit with all graphics-improving commandlines, everything else is pretty much inconsequential. Stuff like -pcx32 and -img2dds left off.

Usually lags come in when multiple high-poly models are onscreen, and/or I have anti-aliasing turned on. Generally, I use all the VPs (aside from mv_cell, of course). I've found that high-poly models are much more likely to cause lag than the animated glowmaps, for whatever reason, although I've not tried changing the model detail setting from its highest setting.

Ditto, except I'm using an Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB).

Explosions and things blowing up (even while off screen) cause more of a stutter then most other stuff, IIRC.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Athlon 2400+ (2.0gHz)
512MB Ram
Radeon 9800 pro
OGL 1024x768

-spec -glow -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -voicer  -ambient_factor 30

Runs smooth enough for me, typicaly a bit slow when a new ship jumps in or somthing though.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."