Author Topic: Voice acting _Vasudans  (Read 3311 times)

Offline bolero

Voice acting _Vasudans
Hey guys, i have a question about voice acting when regards to the vasudans.  In the campaign Derelict they managed to get the vasudan language speaking faintly in the background while it is being translated to english.  How did they go about getting sound files for the vasudan speech, and get the translation to sound computerized like that?  Any ideas would be great!

-Bolero

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Voice acting _Vasudans
Hey guys, i have a question about voice acting when regards to the vasudans.  In the campaign Derelict they managed to get the vasudan language speaking faintly in the background while it is being translated to english.  How did they go about getting sound files for the vasudan speech, and get the translation to sound computerized like that?  Any ideas would be great!

-Bolero

There's an extended piece of translation-free Vasudan speech at the Freespace website (http://www.volition-inc.com/fs/);  I'd guess they used Goldwave or similar to add a few effects etc on top.  It is possible to create new, unique Vasudan speech as well, by doing certain froody things to the sound, but I forget exactly which.

Er, that's largely a useless reply.  Sorry. :)

Offline Nuclear1

I've always used the Mechanize feature in GoldWave to achieve the translated voice effect, and simply mixing small samples of Vasudan speech in with the translated speech for the background.

GoldWave is quite good for this type of editing, though I often use it in conjunction with Audacity for certain other features.

[/second largely useless reply]
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Blacksheep knows quite alot about this.

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Just downloaded that Vasudan speech, played it in soundrec reversed.  I swear I can make out a few words of english in there!  Am I goin mad?!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I heard it too.  :nervous:

My guess is that they used an actuall human voice, flipped it, and ran it through a whole bunch of filters.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Actually, it sounds like the guy is speaking Russian or the like, probably just a 'made up on the spot' language, I had a go at cleaning it up a bit.

http://www.aqsx85.dsl.pipex.com/vasudantalk.mp3

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Good job!  :eek:

Is there a Freeware Goldwave alt.?

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
The computer translation FX would be easier to do and more customizable with the Cylonix vocoder software, which is FREE. http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/cylonix.html
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart