Author Topic: Best and Worst Game Endings  (Read 24259 times)

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Re: Best and Worst Game Endings
On HL2:
ALL of the vortigaunts are "all knowing". No one bothers to talk to any of them except the one with the cough in that little cave because he's hidden and special and whatnot. I think HL2 and the episodes had good cliffhangers.

Other Good endings:
Starcraft (it set up conflicts to be resolved in SC2 and leaves everyone ravaged enough for SC2 taking place several years later to be viable)
Spoiler:
I did dislike Fenix getting killed however... he was my favorite character... :(
Halo: Combat Evolved
Spoiler:
The warthog race was fun, and a great change of playstyle from "shoot everything that moves." But also because it managed to resolve all the conflicts while still setting up sequels. I guess blowing up every setting the game had all at once is a good design choice.

However, Halo 2 had a very, very BAD cliffhanger. My internal monologue: "Yeah! Let's finish this fight! Cool forerunner ship time! ... Okay, I'm ready to play the last level now... I get to play as Chief one last time right? ... WHAT. NO." *throws controller through television*

Other terribad endings:
Fallout 3 (everyone's favorite)
Fable 2
Spoiler:
You're a tool the whole time. Theresa, at the end, basically says "You have what you want, but the spire is mine, STFU and GTFO." No closure of any kind, except for Lucien's death which is really unsatisfying. They made Reaver kill him if you take too long. :mad:
Earthsiege/Starsiege games
Spoiler:
Prometheus ALWAYS gets away. Even at the end of Starsiege, when you blow up his physical form, his "children" escape with pieces of him. Though I do have a certain fascination with cybrids, a part of me wishes <First-Thought, Giver-of-Will> would die\\deactivate. He's been torturing\\attacking\\killing the human//animals for a bit too long.
But it is a damned shame we never got a sequel. RIP Starsiege 2845.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Fallout 3 (everyone's favorite)

I was disappointed, but it was by no means bad (in my opinion)
"No"

Kudos to the mention of The Witcher. What a fantastic game.

The ending is pitch perfect. It rips your heart out but does so with such a revelation so subtle that it takes a minute or two to even register in your mind.
Spoiler:
Finding Alvin's medallion, realizing that the Grand Master WAS Alvin and that he'd gone back in time and suddenly everything that's happened and things that the GM have said make perfect sense... and you just killed Alvin. Oh that was a great moment!

Fallout 3's ending stunk, but Fallout 1 had a fantastic ending. Especially if you decided to make use of your gun. You all know what I mean I'm sure.

My favorite ending to any game is probably Final Fantasy IX. But I'm just a damn softy at heart, that's the truth of it. FF6's ending is a very close second in terms of Final Fantasy ending. 10's is up there too, assuming we all forget that X-2 was ever made.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Upon reading that spoiler... that reminded me of another game because the ending was also quite similar

Spoiler:
Infamous

"No"

Offline Bilal18

For those not sure about the HL story, read this site, clears up alot: http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Oh, I remember a few.

Starsiege, but it's been mentioned above.
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising.
Spoiler:
You smash down the Cabal, blow the hell out of their aliens, then it turns out they're building some massive doomsday weapon and the only way to stop it is to ram the Antaeus into it. :( I got really upset because I got very much attached to that little carrier/cruiser.

Good ones, a new one came to my mind.
Red Alert, Soviet ending.
Spoiler:
You smash England, then Stalin congratulates you, then he gets shot in the back, the woman takes over, then she gets shot in the back and lo and behold, THE MESSIAH KANE appears and tells you that a new age has begun. PEACE THROUGH POWAH!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
People will probably kill me for this but I didn't like Halo 3's ending any more than Halo 2's.

Offline bahijal74

• BOOM baby!! haha
People will probably kill me for this but I didn't like Halo 3's ending any more than Halo 2's.
Nope but this will probably get ME killed
Bad ending:
Mass effect....
I mean the game has a lot of potential but come on...a little more bang for the buck please..everything else showed promise but the way that ending just...oi..so...dull... not even a cliff hanger even though it was known it was a trilogy..nothing...(and ye I know the books are the explanation for yeah yeah i know!)
All energy to weapons.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Really? What was wrong with it? I found the whole ending sequence on the Citadel to be the highlight of the game.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Aye, me too. The game's narrative had its problems, but the climax wasn't amongst them.

Offline bahijal74

• BOOM baby!! haha
Really? What was wrong with it? I found the whole ending sequence on the Citadel to be the highlight of the game.
for me the game was a bit short but i mean its a great game but i mean...eh..just felt..a bit lacking..i mean its not the worst ending but..for me i felt i wnated more..im sure that feeling though shall be what mass effect 2 is for after all..who knows
All energy to weapons.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I'm not sure I see how length is a factor for judging the quality of a narrative, but oh well.

Offline bahijal74

• BOOM baby!! haha
I'm not sure I see how length is a factor for judging the quality of a narrative, but oh well.
Oh i just menat the ending..felt too short i guess...its just me though lol
All energy to weapons.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)

Finally, a smart man has arrived.   I remember our previous discussions  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Oh i just menat the ending..felt too short i guess...its just me though lol

That's probably because most of the game was filler. You just weren't ready for some actual condensed plot. :P

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Plot comes the minute you get to Virmire.  Provided you get there last.  Otherwise it goes "Awesome action" to "bleh" in about ten seconds.  But if you go to Virmire last, you have about an hour and a half to two hours of pretty awesome plot.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Plot comes the minute you get to Virmire.  Provided you get there last.  Otherwise it goes "Awesome action" to "bleh" in about ten seconds.  But if you go to Virmire last, you have about an hour and a half to two hours of pretty awesome plot.
I was gonna play Mass Effect now yous spoilz it for me. :(

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I didn't ruin a blasted thing.  I was advising you on where to go last for best awesome plot.  Notice I didn't tell you anything at all about what actually happens on that planet.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I advise doing Virmire last - do as many main quests as possible first. That way the good stuff is saved for the end.

Noveria, Feros, and Artemis Tau are still pretty decent all in all, though.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I didn't ruin a blasted thing.  I was advising you on where to go last for best awesome plot.  Notice I didn't tell you anything at all about what actually happens on that planet.
Notice the crappy spelling I used in that line. I suppose I should really stop sarcasm over the internet, but habits die hard.