Author Topic: Best Space/Flying Sim Games of Recent Years?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Best Space/Flying Sim Games of Recent Years?
Hey guys. :)

Of course FS2 is the best. :cool:

But what are its modern successors, the best space sims of today? What features have they pioneered? How has the genre changed outside the walls of HLP?

Looking for games that deliver an FS2-like experience (fly a fighter, shoot things, etc.). They don't have to be space sims, if you know any non-space sim flying games with vaguely similar gameplay.

I want to make my own space/flying sim-type game, so I'm investigating the current state of the genre. I don't want to come up with "cool ideas" that everyone else has done before. The massive funding and energy behind Star Citizen proved that there's still a market for a good space sim (Star Citizen's actual development notwithstanding.) What are people looking for out of the genre?

So, where do I start? :cool:

Thanks! :)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Darius

Re: Best Space/Flying Sim Games of Recent Years?
Strike Suit Zero, while shallower and more arcadey than FreeSpace delivered fun and atmosphere in spades.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
You reckon? I got bored with SSZ very, very quickly - it's sitting unfinished on my steam account after picking it up on sale. I found it neither compelling enough storywise nor pretty enough visually to hold my interest... although, in fairness, I'm no kind of anime fan and it seems very much influenced by things like that (the whole humanoid robot transformation thing).

I think that the positive buzz around Elite Dangerous, and the anticipation around No Man's Sky suggest that, done well, open world procedural generation type things are something people want in their space games these days, and it's something that FS2 has always lacked. Otherwise though, I really think you're already in the best place to learn what you need to make a truly great space game. Look at the kind of reaction Diaspora got, for example.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Veers

I'm back in Elite:Dangerous.

It feels so open and empty, but I think it's the fact it's supposed to be a 1:1 scale of our own universe that keeps my wanting it. And I generally just fly around, some missions for fuel and repeat.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Any space game in 1:1 scale is gonna be "open and empty" by definition. Space is big and mostly empty. The closest planet is about 3 days away along a 1G brahistochrone, and that's the best case scenario.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
And I'm just sitting there, waiting for enemy starfighter and everspace.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
You guys seen any of Rebel Galaxy yet? Looks kind of interesting, depending on the final price point. I am glad to see space games getting a bit more attention lately.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Strike Suit Zero, while shallower and more arcadey than FreeSpace delivered fun and atmosphere in spades.
I agree with this.
Had a lot of fun with it, and put even more hours into strike suit infinity (though unforunately all leaderboard efforts for that game became completely ruined due to cheaters  :doubt:)

If you are on a research trip, and you happen to have a 360 I would recommend you try and get your hands on project sylpheed (shouldnt be very expensive).
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thanks, guys.

Played SSZ, gave up on it after you first get the mech. Don't have a 360, but I saw some videos of Sylpheed's gameplay.

Yeah, "space sim" these days seems to mean "large and complicated open-world procedural-generation game." Problem is, A: something like that is well out of my league, especially on my first game, and B: I'd rather stick with a more linear mission-based design, anyway.

Might be better not to market it as a "space sim", per se. I don't know how much market there is for a more linear FS-style shooter, given how few of them there are on Steam.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline Davros

Not recent but
independence war 1+2
Starshatter

Even it is graphic wise no match even with FS2 SCP... i enjoyed all of the StarWraith games, because they have still this spirit.

Arvoch Alliance is mission based, even i like also its open-world counterpart Evochron: Mercenary very much.

And Miner Wars 2081 of course. Even it is more a combination of Descent and Freespace, like the original idea of Descent 4.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:22:35 pm by Deepstar »
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
To me at the moment it has to be Rebel Galaxy, even though you fly capital ships. The problem is that all other space action/sims released recently have been MMO based. There seems to be a lack of singleplayer games, i may be wrong there but i havent really seen any.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, if you ask me about "space games", it's Kerbal Space Program all the way. If you think more of a "space shooter" genre, there's the new Blue Planet. :) I really can't think of another recent space game which is that well written.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thanks, guys.

Well, I guess that means I won't have much competition in this particular genre, then. :p

Might I be better off pitching this kind of fighter sim action game to the Steam/gaming public as a "flight sim like Ace Combat" even if I've never actually played a single AC game in my life, to be honest?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Enemy Starfighter

Not a space sim, but you might want to check out Vector Thrust. It's inspired by Ace Combat but has a lot of improvements/changes to make it feel a bit different. I'd say it has superior mechanics with cool stuff like post-stall manoeuvring(a bit exaggerated for coolness) and gravity affecting missiles.

It has a more robust electronic warfare system based on a lot of factors like enemy jammers, friendly AWACS, your own aircraft's electronics and stealth ratings, etc. Things like radar jamming, phantom targets, reduced/improved missile guidance, and stealth. Some of these things could be translated into a space environment.
The campaign is rather ~meh and it lacks a tutorial, things that definitely detract from the game but it's an indie title so great stories and voice acting aren't something most people expect. Also, I don't remember anyone ever calling their missiles, so you don't get that Ace Combat-ey "fox 2!, fox 2!".

It's also pretty mod friendly, though like 90% of the skins are either Ace Combat skins or cute anime grills from idol shows(mostly Idolm@ster, Love Live, and Utahime).

It's 50% off on Steam right now so you might want to check it out. Not space, but might be worth seeing what other indie arcade flight sims are doing right now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 08:24:07 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You're better of looking for older games. Some classics.

X-Win: Alliance and Starlancer are very good.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
You guys seen any of Rebel Galaxy yet? Looks kind of interesting, depending on the final price point. I am glad to see space games getting a bit more attention lately.

Rebel Galaxy. You just wear your cowboy hat, grab the throttle, and go wipe em boys in space. Very good climate, very good gameplay in my opinion.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Not a space sim, but you might want to check out Vector Thrust. It's inspired by Ace Combat but has a lot of improvements/changes to make it feel a bit different. I'd say it has superior mechanics with cool stuff like post-stall manoeuvring(a bit exaggerated for coolness) and gravity affecting missiles.

It has a more robust electronic warfare system based on a lot of factors like enemy jammers, friendly AWACS, your own aircraft's electronics and stealth ratings, etc. Things like radar jamming, phantom targets, reduced/improved missile guidance, and stealth. Some of these things could be translated into a space environment.
The campaign is rather ~meh and it lacks a tutorial, things that definitely detract from the game but it's an indie title so great stories and voice acting aren't something most people expect. Also, I don't remember anyone ever calling their missiles, so you don't get that Ace Combat-ey "fox 2!, fox 2!".

It's also pretty mod friendly, though like 90% of the skins are either Ace Combat skins or cute anime grills from idol shows(mostly Idolm@ster, Love Live, and Utahime).

It's 50% off on Steam right now so you might want to check it out. Not space, but might be worth seeing what other indie arcade flight sims are doing right now.

Sounded interesting so I took a look.  Reviews are not encouraging. 
I like to stare at the sun.

If it's your first game you might want to try a side-scrolling shooter before you try a 3D flight sim.
Making games ain't easy in my admittedly limited experience so better to fail small than fail huge.