Author Topic: New Files/Folders in Nightlies?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline AV8R

New Files/Folders in Nightlies?
So I downloaded one of the recent nightly builds to see what's new on the cutting edge of SCP programming. Then, after unzipping the download, I noticed some additional files and folders that are now part of the nightly packages, namely assorted files that begin with QT5 in their names and a couple of new folders - a BIN folder and a PLATFORMS folder.

Out of curiosity, what new features or changes necessitated the addition of these new files/folders and what do they actually do?  :nervous:

Re: New Files/Folders in Nightlies?
It's used for the QT port of FRED ( https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94565.0 ) that is supposed to work on some cross-platform UI framework; you can't run it unless you have this installed so you can delete the files.

Offline AV8R

Thanks for the info - FRED streamlining and other improvements soon to arrive, I suppose.

I went ahead and just kept all of the files from the May 12th Nightly intact and copied them to my Freespace2 folder anyway (why break up the family?). Seems it gave my installation a little indigestion - I got an AppCrash as soon as I tried to launch the EXE (32-bit version). Details below:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: fs2_open_3_8_1_20190512_a5d2258_SSE2.exe
Application Version: 3.8.1.5424
Application Timestamp: 5cd7d1eb
Fault Module Name: fs2_open_3_8_1_20190512_a5d2258_SSE2.exe
Fault Module Version: 3.8.1.5424
Fault Module Timestamp: 5cd7d1eb
Exception Code:   c0000005
Exception Offset: 0023db06
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Looks like a Windows generated error. No issues running my other EXEs (I have 3.8.0 and 3.8.1.61259). Should I report this under the Support Forum or the SCP Forum?

EDIT: FS2_Open.log file attached

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:12:10 pm by AV8R »

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Hmm.. First I would suggest using Knossos, that way you don't have to manually move build folders and files anymore  :) Using Knossos may also likely result in having less errors. Perhaps you've looking into Knossos already?

Also, to answer your question, many of the new files and folder structures are for the newer cross platform ways builds run.

Offline AV8R

Hmm.. First I would suggest using Knossos, that way you don't have to manually move build folders and files anymore  :) Using Knossos may also likely result in having less errors. Perhaps you've looking into Knossos already?

I'll probably switch over to Knossos at some point, but having played with FSOpen for over 12 years I'm OK with doing things "the hard way" at the moment. Besides, I like getting my hands dirty with the files and folder structure of FSOpen as it is (was?). Although I do have to say that, from what I've seen and heard of Knossos, it's a brilliant bit of work and will hopefully keep the FSOpen movement alive and kicking for years to come.

Did you coppied over all other DLLs properly? Sometimes there's a change in there and it crashes.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
[...]
[...]
You probably put both 32bit and 64bit builds into the same folder. Starting with the first build that bundles DLLs, you can't do that anymore. You either need to decide and install only builds for one architecture or put them in different subdirectories... though I'm not sure how well that works with wxLauncher or other older launchers.

It's used for the QT port of FRED ( https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94565.0 ) that is supposed to work on some cross-platform UI framework; you can't run it unless you have this installed so you can delete the files.
Um... no. Qt is the framework you're talking about and those files are bundled so you DON'T have to install Qt yourself.

Um... no. Qt is the framework you're talking about and those files are bundled so you DON'T have to install Qt yourself.

I see. Just that last time I tried it I received crashes, so I thought it would be something different/seperate. Now it works fine; just the controls seem to be different somehow.

Offline AV8R

[...]
[...]
You probably put both 32bit and 64bit builds into the same folder. Starting with the first build that bundles DLLs, you can't do that anymore. You either need to decide and install only builds for one architecture or put them in different subdirectories... though I'm not sure how well that works with wxLauncher or other older launchers.

I only ever use x86 FSO downloads - due to the experimental nature of the x64 builds (I do have Windows 7 x64 with 4GB of RAM- but only to give x86 software a bit more headroom when running). Maybe one of the files included in the download was inadvertently an x64 library file? I'll go through each one and see if anything jumps out at me.

EDIT: Maybe one of the newer support files is the wrong version? Such as one of these:

avcodec-57.dll
avformat-57.dll
avutil-55.dll
freetype281.dll
sdl2.dll
swresample-2.dll
swscale-4.dll

EDIT 2: If you give me a hint about what to look for filename-wise with x64 build files, I'll see if any exist in my Freespace2 folder (though I'm sure I've never downloaded x64 builds).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:24:37 pm by AV8R »

Just delete all DLLs and throw in a clean set from the set you want to have.

Offline AV8R

Ok, so this whole CTD scenario started to bug me - and ultimately motivated me to run some testing. So, based on the error I was getting above from the latest nightly builds, I decided to find out where this error crept in for me - what build started this startup crash I posted above. Starting with the first build of March I downloaded every Windows x86 nightly up until April 30th and began testing each one (each had a freshly copied folder that had my basic GOG install with the bare minimum FSOpen files added so the following versions would work:

3.8.0 with MVPs 2014
3.8.1.61259 with MVPs 3.8.2
Nightly with MVPs 3.8.2

All versions had to startup successfully and load a mission - which I would consider a "win". So after many copies, startups and loads - I finally found the culprit. the April 30th Windows x86 nightly. Everything up to April 23rd loads and runs fine. April 30th crashes at startup with the OP error. In fact, none of the nightly versions after April 30th work for me anymore - they all crash at startup with the same error. Maybe something sinister snuck into the Windows x86 build that was compiled April 30th?

Anyway, in the interest of making FSO better for the community, is there anything I can do to assist? Since I already uploaded a LOG file, is there any other information I can supply or adjustment I can try to to help flesh out this error? I am the only one getting this startup error from the April 30th+ builds?

Please let me know if I can help in some way.  :nod:

EDIT:
System specs:
Windows 7 x64 (latest updates)
Intel Core i5 3350P 3.1Ghz
4GB DDR3 RAM (7-8-8-24-1T)
EVGA GeForce 1050Ti 4GB RAM (latest nVidia drivers)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:23:48 pm by AV8R »

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
That is some great bug searching work you did! Very helpful indeed that you found which nightly the CTD started occurring on, and it will save time in the process to potentially fix the bug.

Thanks for your proactive work on this, I will take a look at the git-hub commits and see what might be causing this. At this point I have not heard of this CTD from other folks, but I will take a look at your log too and keep you posted!  :)

Offline AV8R

Thanks. I really want to help with this because, as a long-time player of FSOpen over the years, I've always enjoyed keeping up with the leading edge of FSOpen development by trying out new nightlies roughly every month - just to see how the new code affects game play/performance of the engine. Now that I can't use the nightlies, it's a bit disconcerting. It's like I'm missing out on what's new and exciting with SCP builds.

Just let me know how I can help. :yes:

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I only ever use x86 FSO downloads - due to the experimental nature of the x64 builds (I do have Windows 7 x64 with 4GB of RAM- but only to give x86 software a bit more headroom when running).
Slightly off topic but x64 FSO has been stable for a while now and is actually required for memory-intensive mods like new Inferno.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline AV8R

I was not aware of that. Thanks for the info. Although I've also been aware for some time that eventually everything we use on the PC environment will move to the x64 platform - it was just a matter of time (and got here sooner than I thought). I'll try out the x64 version in the near future, but for now I'll just keep my FSOpen game engine consistent in the x86 universe.