Author Topic: has anyone here ever modded a gamecube?  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
has anyone here ever modded a gamecube?
cause my brother got an import game off of ebay, and as the resident nerd I have taken it upon myself to MAKE it work, they already tried freeloader, didn't work, it's a DOL 101.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 09:33:26 am by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: ha anyone here ever modded a gamecube?
Nope.

Er

Good luck, though.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Re: has anyone here ever modded a gamecube?
The only ways I was able to find was to get a network adapter, hook your 'Cube into your network, and try to hack your way in from your PC. 

The other way is to buy a mod chip, open up your GC, and solder it to the mainboard.  Not sure how much soldering experience you have though...(I have a quite a bit.) 
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I could probably handle it but I don't want to:
*pay for a chip
*wait for a chip
*do the extensive soldering work for a chip
*waist the perfectly good switch I have
*be defeated by this stupid peice of plastic metal silicon and fiberglass

further mod chips allow piracy and if I was talking about a mod chip one of the admins could have this thread locked, what I'm trying to do has absolutely no remote posability for allowing home burned media to run. im looking at you admins...

but this should be easy, it just isn't working at all. I mean hell, at this point I'd be happy to hear that the DOL-101 had some change to prevent this so I could give up.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Oooh...Didn't realize that talking about mod chips was considered a no-no in here.  I thought that rule just applied to piracy...  :nervous:
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well I'm just being careful, it's sort of gray, but this is whiter than an 1800s southern land owner.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Back in the day my bro got some sort of thing that plugged into our playstation so we could play some random action japanese import game, but I hardly remember anything about it.  :doubt: Sorry I'm not much help at all.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
got my problem sored out, the switch needs to run across R5 not R6. my brother has been playing Naruto clash of ninja 3 all night, it's so freaking surreal, cause it's just like the subs except... without... subs, wich adds an interesting extra element of difficulty.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Oooh...Didn't realize that talking about mod chips was considered a no-no in here.  I thought that rule just applied to piracy...  :nervous:

I don't see how modchips can be a no-no when they are legal in Italy and Australia.  In fact, surely they're no more a no-no than talking about modding the case?  All they need do is remove region protection, which is an idiotic & backwards concept anyways.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
they can permit the loading of pirated disks, I just had a thread locked and deleted over at WS because moding a console oftine involves a mod chip which allows the posability for piracy. I have to say that was the stupidest thing to have ever happened to me at WS, cause I wasn't even talking about a chip, but whatever.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
they can permit the loading of pirated disks, I just had a thread locked and deleted over at WS because moding a console oftine involves a mod chip which allows the posability for piracy. I have to say that was the stupidest thing to have ever happened to me at WS, cause I wasn't even talking about a chip, but whatever.

They can.... but even then, it's not what you're asking for.  You're asking for the ability to play imported games, which I'd say is fine.

Offline miskat

Nonono, Bobbao, it's not "they can permit the loading of pirated disks."  It's "the can permit the loading of personal back-up discs."  Remember, that's what CD-Rs and DVD+-Rs are for.  ~.^

Honestly though, the day the console market takes their heads out of their bums and gets rid of regional locks, is the day that I start to take consoles as seriously as I take PCs.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Nonono, Bobbao, it's not "they can permit the loading of pirated disks."  It's "the can permit the loading of personal back-up discs."  Remember, that's what CD-Rs and DVD+-Rs are for.  ~.^

Honestly though, the day the console market takes their heads out of their bums and gets rid of regional locks, is the day that I start to take consoles as seriously as I take PCs.

Both the PS3 and Xbox360, IIRC, leave the issue of region locking up to the individual publishers.  The Wii (annoyingly) is the only console to retain universal region locking.

Offline miskat

Really, now?  That's interesting to hear, and depressing, since the Wii is probably the only system I'll ahve until FFXIII comes out and I force a PS3 out of SOMEONE in exchange for their... um... I dunno... insert good threat here.

At any rate, I wonder how many publishers are doing that to their fans?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Really, now?  That's interesting to hear, and depressing, since the Wii is probably the only system I'll ahve until FFXIII comes out and I force a PS3 out of SOMEONE in exchange for their... um... I dunno... insert good threat here.

At any rate, I wonder how many publishers are doing that to their fans?

Yeah, for me it's the only major minus against it; it's also duplicated by the VC (not only can you only buy the games - and versions - for your region, screwing up bordered PAL-users, the actual points cards are region locked.  The only plus side is that credit cards are generally cheaper per-point.... not much consolation if you were eyeing, say, half price games and points thanks to the £-$ rate)

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
I don't honestly understand the furor over region-locked games. Odds are that the game will make it over here eventually, and if you're crazy enough about it to mod your GameCube to play a game in a language you can't speak, then just go and buy an import GameCube, if you've got the cash.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I don't honestly understand the furor over region-locked games. Odds are that the game will make it over here eventually, and if you're crazy enough about it to mod your GameCube to play a game in a language you can't speak, then just go and buy an import GameCube, if you've got the cash.
Excluding the SNES & N64s' bordered conversion issues...

Nintendo Wii in US$; $250 ~ £125
In GBP£ - £170

Wii game prices in US -  $50 (~£28) RRP
Game prices in uk - £40 RRP

Excite truck in US - release at launch
Excite truck in UK - released 16/2

Elebits in US - released 12/12
Elebits in UK - released March 2007

See my point?

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Excluding the SNES & N64s' bordered conversion issues...

Nintendo Wii in US$; $250 ~ £125
In GBP£ - £170

Wii game prices in US -  $50 (~£28) RRP
Game prices in uk - £40 RRP

Excite truck in US - release at launch
Excite truck in UK - released 16/2

Elebits in US - released 12/12
Elebits in UK - released March 2007

See my point?

V.V
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.