Author Topic: One day...  (Read 4607 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
One Day...
...more!
Another day, another destiny.
This never-ending road to Calvary;
These men who seem to know my crime
Will surely come a second time.
One day more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN9HCg9uBTU

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i tend to think the xbox360 controller support on PC has more to do with trying to encourage xbox sales.  or at the very least xbox to PC ports, many of which use that horrendous "games for windows live" bull****.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i tend to think the xbox360 controller support on PC has more to do with trying to encourage xbox sales.  or at the very least xbox to PC ports, many of which use that horrendous "games for windows live" bull****.

microsoft is actually encouraging game devs to not use direct input anymore. microsoft wants to deprecate direct input, since most of its functions have been replaced by newer apis. joystick support is the only thing keeping it around. it wouldnt be so bad if xinput was better, but its not. it supports 6 axes (2 of which are the triggers, which are pretty much the same thing) and a max of 10 buttons. direct input supported 8 axes and 128 buttons. if a they are going to replace the joystick api they should use something thats better. to make matters worse no joysticks exist that are compatible with the new api, and it is too limited to use for a high end hotas controller.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mikes

I always thought it was the necessity of a joystick that killed space sims. You need to rope in the casual gamers to stay afloat.

The casuals these days are using 2 joysticks.  Seen a current gen controller lately?

Thumbsticks.

Calling a thumbstick a joystick reserves you a place in the special gamer hell.

The special gamer hell.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I'd like to meddle your joystick with my thumbsticks

Although... I'm curious
What would be Gamer hell? A Justin Bieber game?
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It's probably that Barbie fashion show game my neighbors had for the SNES 15 years ago. :lol:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i have a thumbstick
on my throttle
it has a metal gimbal
and i never use it
most games dont support more than 4 axes anymore.
i have 9
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mikes

I'd like to meddle your joystick with my thumbsticks

Ack!? :) lol

I tried mapping FS2 to a 360 gamepad.  It didn't work too well, not nearly enough buttons for targeting and energy management.

Yeah, but you don't need the Energy management to have a succesfull space game. If you want to make, say, a Wing Commander reboot, you can use it's "Automatically target what is in front of me", for example. And the first iterations had no energy management, so a reboot could be done without. All you need are lasers, a BSG style fligt system (like the earlier wing Commanders also more or less had when you used the afterburners, shelton slide ftw) and a really, really good story.