Author Topic: Refurbished Win98 PC  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Re: Refurbished Win98 PC
That's true, if you have some old games that you have an urge to replay, but no older machine at the ready, give the wrappers a try. For most games there's a either fan patches or a combination of compatibility settings plus wrappers available to get them running on modern machines (for many games the biggest hurdle is running the old 16bit installer executables on a 64bit OS).

But IMHO it's worth the hassle. The late 90's/early 2000's era holds many gems of gaming. Part of it is surely just my nostalgia (having been a easily impressible teenager in those years), but I also think that the gaming market was objectively more diverse in those years than today, due to some favorable combination of circumstances.
Hardware capabilities were growing in big leaps, but game development was still a relatively small business that didn't require multi-million dollar investments up front. So many small companies could push out new genre-defining games (and even more turds) with relative ease. Fore reference, I-War up there in my post had a development team of 6 people, but they produced a game that was up there with games you'd consider AAA (if that rating would have been used back then).
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Re: Refurbished Win98 PC
Up next, Half-Life (3dfx MiniGL driver)

The game that set the (crow)bar on how to integrate storytelling directly into the game. The Inbound section is still one of the better examples on how to introduce the background story without the need for ingame cinematics.

It's graphics haven't aged as gracefully as Unreal's, but battling the HECU soldiers is still as intense as I remember it. And I still enjoy the sheer interactivity of the maps, it's not just push-button-open-door stuff, but much more creative.

"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea