Author Topic: Edge of chaos engine (i dont know if this is the right section for this)  (Read 4345 times)

Edge of chaos engine (i dont know if this is the right section for this)
Random question, what do people think of the Edge of Chaos flight model and engine.  I would have though it would have been subjected to alot of modding and adaption by now. however, nothing has happened to it.  I have written on the (almost dead) Iwar forums as well and as of yet got no answer. 

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Re: Edge of chaos engine (i dont know if this is the right section for this)
If you mean the Iwar2 engine I think I remember a quite nice B5 mod for it...but I haven't heard anything about the game for ages.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
There used to be an IWar2 section here...but it died off like the rest of the game's community. This should be in Gaming, though :)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Could you post the link to the IWar2 community?  Even if it is almost dead, I would like to see some of the things they have done.  I still fiddle with it from time to time.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
I think its a really good engine, if an equivalent of the SCP happened to it, it could turn out to be something incredible, sometime ago I made a thread about a FS mod for I-war 2, its around General Freespace, it would have been cool if it ever happened, the game would allow much more freedom, you could explore different system, etc.

The only thing I've ever saw done for I-war 2 was that Torn Stars mod but thats it.

The flight model is good too, more realistic, flying a Perseus like that really would be something. :yes:

Could you post the link to the IWar2 community?  Even if it is almost dead, I would like to see some of the things they have done.  I still fiddle with it from time to time.

http://www.i-war2.com/

It's as good as dead unfortunately.

Offline Davros

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
official forums: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137

The problem with modding IW2 was that scripting missions required you to learn a java/c# like language.    Scripting a mission was like trying to FRED in notepad.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

its a pitty that.  it would have made for a good experiance.  Im gonna dig up some of my mates to see if they can do anything with it - but were all students (and very lazy) so dont expect much lol :)

I dont suppose anyone has the old iwar threads still?  or are they lost in the various moves this site has done.

Cheers

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hmmmmm. I saw the words Chaos Engine and I was all ready for some steampunk. Most disappointed :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

lol - sorry to get your hopes up there :D

We've had a look at the engine (im not a programmer, i just draw pretty pictures) and we figure if we're gonna attempt anything with it it'll be in summer. We still have to figure exactly wat to do though :D

I cant do anything at the moment cos of uni, but ill try to drum up interest if i can

IS ANYONE OUT THERE (WHO KNOWS WAT THERE DOING) INTERESTED IN IWAR2 mods?????????????

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
i thought it was a great looking engine, but i hated the physics model, too real for me.  i prefer my games to be more arcady, so i always would end up flying past a combat situation and then getting wasted turning my self around...too much work imho. so to that end i'd love to see it with a more FS like engine, cause i always found the story interesting but could never get very far with out flying into an asteroid.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Davros

you should of enabled assisted flight then thor

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

hehe - assisted flights for N00bs  :pimp:

the great thing about it was the realism, but there was a way to scale it bk I believe.  Lol, shooting past a combat zone, all guns blasing and firing a whole bank of missles as you pass......thats style :P

Cheers for the linkage too:)

Eh, flight assist was worse then useless.  Just can't go into Iwar expecting to fly like you would in freespace, Xwing or other spaceplane games.

Once you get it down though - well, beam flybys on carriers are too much fun.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you know i kill for a modernized version of the frontier engine.

and by modernized i dont mean one of those bastardized reverse-engineered engines that are floating around, i mean something on the scale of the scp.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Eh, flight assist was worse then useless.  Just can't go into Iwar expecting to fly like you would in freespace, Xwing or other spaceplane games.

Once you get it down though - well, beam flybys on carriers are too much fun.

I'll watch the action as i sail right on by...
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Yeah, that's actually the whole idea.  Keep moving, sail on by, while at the same time letting your cutting beams rip through it's hull. 

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Yeah, that's actually the whole idea.  Keep moving, sail on by, while at the same time letting your cutting beams rip through it's hull. 

I lost count on how many cruises I took down like that. :D :yes: Really, its the best way too take them down.

Offline Davros

ps: One of the best game into's ever..................

Independance War
http://media.putfile.com/IWar