Author Topic: MediaVPs 2014 Discussion thread  (Read 55971 times)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Re: MediaVPs 2014 Discussion thread
I would call this a feature rather then a bug.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Could someone update the asset thread? Quite a few ships listed as not done/WIP are, in fact, done.
Right now, from what I've gathered, there's very little of the unupgraded stuff.
Terran:
Hygeia
Argo
Hippocrates
Zephyrus
Myrmidon
Boadicea
Ganymede
Vasudan:
Bes (and container)
Ra
Shivan:
Rahu
Demon
Azrael
Mephisto
Asmodeus (both with associated containers)

I've seen some amazing WiPs on most of them. Demon and Zephyrus are being actively developed, Axem made an amazing Mephisto (dunno what happened to it) and both Argo and Hippocrates had models made at some point (untextured, though).

the number of Demons I've seen half or more finished...
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It's the cursed ship.
el hombre vicio...

Offline paromi

I have a German version of Freespace 2 when im using the MediaVPs_2014 with fs open 3.7.2 rc1  ...all my text and the misson briefings audio are in english.... in cockpit audio is still in german but with english text.. how can i switch the game to be all german again.....Thanks

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You probably have english root file. You have to download german root from here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85492.0
Replace english root file, with german one from the link above. Than... Well. Use your regedit :) ...and change the language in windows registy. I don't know where it is in other operational systems. In Win7 it's in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Classes -> VirtualStore -> MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> Volition -> Freespace2.
Find "Language" entry and change it from "English" to "German". As I know, German is fully supported by MediaVPs.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Also,  3.7.2 RC1 is two release candidates out of date. 3.7.2 RC3 was recently released. I can't recall off the top of my head if any localization bugs were fixed between them, though...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
 :bump:

I do apologize for this bump but I can't seem to be able to download the MediaVPs, are the links down? If so, is there an alternative location I may receive the mediavps?
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
:bump:

I do apologize for this bump but I can't seem to be able to download the MediaVPs, are the links down? If so, is there an alternative location I may receive the mediavps?
Magnet link for the torrent:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:E0D3A9B0B31B4F9F5177FC27A37FF41CE94337D4&dn=MediaVPs2014&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fwww.torrent-downloads.to%3a2710%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Thank you
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The MjnServ mirrors are not down for me. My website is not even showing a traffic spike.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
FSMod's links fixed and restored.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Something's wrong with your DNS, mjn...
http://lunardigitalproductions.com/ works but http://www.lunardigitalproductions.com/ doesn't.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Again.. the www.lunardigitalproductions.com worked for me.

*shrugs*
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Luis Dias

It works for me too. Are you using any proxies, ngld?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Okay, this is weird. It works again. Oh well...

@Luis Dias: Nope, even a
Code: [Select]
dig www.lunardigitalproductions.com @8.8.8.8 failed for me.

y u use 5.5g??

u most update to use wxlauncher so better!

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67950.0

also,

Actually, it's more like welcome back. Used to go by CaptJosh. Last post on that account though was back in 2012. And actually, I did end up switching to wx because 5.5g finally crapped out on me. I wouldn't say it's better exactly. It supports everything 5.5g did. But I do get to use a common supported interface both on my windows and Linux machines, so that's a plus. Another plus is the profile option to quickly select a set of settings. An additional plus is the inclusion of common recommended lighting presets, as well as some quick feature presets in the Flag sets combobox.

The mod selection system I don't know that I like better though. On the old launcher, I could, IIRC, browse to a folder outside my root FS2 folder to load a mod if I wanted or for some reason needed to. (If I'm misremembering, I'm sure someone will feel free to point that out to me.) I think the option to select the root folder of your FS2 directory is odd. This launcher should be portable and just be able to be dropped in that root folder so such an option is simply not needed, though the ability to autodetect all available FS2Open binaries and put them in a combo-box is nice, along with being able to refresh the list. The long list of check-boxes for feature selection is also a curious choice, IMO. I rather liked the combo-box that let me select which set of options was visible to me. It made it easier to sort through.

Moving on to cross platform disparities I note the following: in windows, I can plug in my joystick after I start the launcher and have it scan for new joysticks at the click of a button. In Linux I just have a message that says I have to restart the launcher for that. I presume there is a reason, but I don't know it. Perhaps I'll ask ISS Mneur about that. Obviously in Linux it's harder to do text to speech, so this is, unsurprisingly missing in the linux version. Oddly enough, in linux, the Af and AA options are on the launcher while in Windows they are not.

Then there's the broken all around. wxLauncher does not, even though there is a place for it, pull the HLP news feed anymore, probably as a result of the new HLP site design. Perhaps an RSS arrangement might correct this.

Anyway, that's just my little review of the wxLauncher 0.9.4. I see good stuff, conflicting stuff, and broken stuff, with plenty of potential as it matures. I would not say it's better than launcher 5.5g other than it IS cross platform and Windows 8.1 compatible, but I can see it getting there. The old lancher had the advantage of being fairly mature software. wxLauncher is still working its way there, I think.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
The files are big fat size and I'm loving every byte of it, but not much bigger than the 3.6.12, but probably with improved everything, I'm glad it is still big to have all that improvement into the game, thanks a lot for your work, I'll enjoy it for sure;  downloading them ATM    :v:

BTW, I'm downloading from MjnServ and works OK, 160 KB/s (not Kb, KB).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:08:46 am by technopredator »

Quick question.  MVP is up to 3.8.2 can we delete 3.8.0 and 3.8.1 and have no issues?