Author Topic: Cockpit Veiw/ updates  (Read 3832 times)

Hello,

It's been a wile since I posted a topic here, but I'm back LOL.  I wanted to know how can I look around in the cockpit of a viper or the Raptor? and I also wanted to know have there been any new ships added to Diaspora?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Publicly, nothing new (although someone has converted the mk II as a 3rd party mod). In-house, if you check the dev blog you can see that we've got the Valkyrie in-game and we've got a few more ships that will be appearing in future dev blogs.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

oh ok, I will look up that blog on the Valkyrie. how about the Cockpit views is there a way I can look around in the cockpit of a viper or Raptor?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I wanted to know how can I look around in the cockpit of a viper or the Raptor?

You need TrackIR to look freely around the cockpit, at least until SCP re-enable frelook mode which I've heard they're going to do.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

where can I find TrackIR?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Re: Cockpit Veiw/ updates
You need TrackIR to look freely around the cockpit, at least until SCP re-enable frelook mode which I've heard they're going to do.

Not quite. Turning on padlock view will have the same effect in reverse. Simply pick a target and move the ship around instead of your head. (I forget which key turns on padlock view now, check your control config from the options screen).

Offline newman

Google "freetrack" if you find TrackIR too expensive; you can get almost the same amount of functionality for a fraction of the cost with a bit of DIY skills - nothing too complicated. I used to have such a setup myself, before I lucked out and got a chance to get my hands on TrackIR 5 Pro for cheap.

You need two things, one is a webcam that's easy to modify and not too expensive. What you need to do with it is remove the IR filter and add a visual spectrum filter, essentially making the cam only sensitive to the IR spectrum so regular light doesn't confuse the tracking. For a filter that blocks visible light, you can take apart a 3.25" floppy and cut out a piece of the magnetic foil, and just mount that somewhere between the camera lens and it's sensor.

The second piece of equipment is (usually) a three IR led setup, usually powered by a battery and fastened to either a baseball cap or a headset. That's it for the hardware - the software side of things is covered by Freetrack, which is free. If that all sounds complicated, it's not - and if you're not a DIY sort of guy, if you have any friends that are this would probably take somewhere between 30 minutes and one hour of their time.

Anyway, here's a link to the site with all the relevant information: http://www.free-track.net

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

i  Have to do all that to look around the cockpit of a ship??? wow there's no enable button that allows me to just look freely around the cockpit???

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I told you about padlock view already. :p

You can also use the look up, down, etc buttons.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
i  Have to do all that to look around the cockpit of a ship??? wow there's no enable button that allows me to just look freely around the cockpit???

There used to be one, I think, but it stopped working when TrackIR was implemented.  I think it's going to be brought back soon.

--General Battuta

Offline newman

There used to be one, I think, but it stopped working when TrackIR was implemented.  I think it's going to be brought back soon.

Please don't confuse the OP. Karajorma gave him some relevant information in a post just above yours, which you ignored and then posted something that could lead the OP to believe there isn't a way.

mightyjoe83: as Kara suggested, check what key is assigned to the "padlock view" option in controls config. What this does is lock your virtual "head" to the currently selected target. You can look around the cockpit using that. Alternatively there's a few preset views you can use as well (up, down, left, right, but padlock view offers more freedom). But if you're into sims, I'd suggest looking into that freetrack option, it's usefulness spans far beyond Diaspora.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

where do I find control config on windows 7?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We mean the control config in the game. Press F2 from the main screen and it's near the bottom.

You could allways try FreetrackNoIR. similar to TrackIR but you only need a webcam. the software is free too.
A voice from the dark called out and said: Smile and be happy, things could be worse. So I smiled and was happy, and things did get worse...