Author Topic: Sci-Fi Sim of the Year missions  (Read 5921 times)

Offline Yarn

Sci-Fi Sim of the Year missions
For those of you who don't have the extra Sci-Fi Sim of the Year missions, I have uploaded them as a VP here:
http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.824

Because the FS2NetD multiplayer pack has all the multiplayer Sci-Fi Sim of the Year missions, I have included only the single-player missions.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Re: Sci-Fi Sim of the Year missions
For those of you who don't have the extra Sci-Fi Sim of the Year missions, I have uploaded them as a VP here:

Because the FS2NetD multiplayer pack has all the multiplayer Sci-Fi Sim of the Year missions, I have included only the single-player missions.

Hmmm, why am I getting a red-flag from my Anti-virus when I proceed to open this?
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Parias

Hmmm, why am I getting a red-flag from my Anti-virus when I proceed to open this?

Looks clean to me? What specifically does your antivirus report? It's fairly common for certain products to very easily report false-positives on legitimate files purely for heuristic reasons.

Offline Crybertrance

Looks clean to me? What specifically does your antivirus report? It's fairly common for certain products to very easily report false-positives on legitimate files purely for heuristic reasons.

Code: [Select]
"Address:

Trend Micro has confirmed that this website can transmit malicious software or has been involved in online scams or fraud.

Please close this page.

Still want to open this page, despite the risk?

Copyright © 1995-2010 Trend Micro Incorporated. All right reserved."

Idk, but maybe my antivirus is just weird... :lol:
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command

Offline Yarn

Code: [Select]
"Address:

Trend Micro has confirmed that this website can transmit malicious software or has been involved in online scams or fraud.

Please close this page.

Still want to open this page, despite the risk?

Copyright © 1995-2010 Trend Micro Incorporated. All right reserved."

Idk, but maybe my antivirus is just weird... :lol:
FSMods has a comment about this (from 2009!): http://www.freespacemods.net/comment.php?comment.news.17

Either Trend Micro still thinks it's a malicious site, or they now know it's safe but your database isn't up to date.

Anyway, the file is safe as far as I know. It's just a short text file and a VP with unmodified files that were installed with an official version of FS2.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i'll take this opportunity to submit my opinion that trend micro is a worthless pile of ****. 

that is all.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Crybertrance

i'll take this opportunity to submit my opinion that trend micro is a worthless pile of ****. 

that is all.

I know!! (you must be the 1000th person to tell me that)  but its just that I got it free withe my HDD... and I am to Lazy to buy/download a better one...

BTW, yeah my databases are updated as of 28-01-2012!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I know!! (you must be the 1000th person to tell me that)
He is!  Click here to claim your prize!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

that is all.

I know!! (you must be the 1000th person to tell me that)  but its just that I got it free withe my HDD... and I am to Lazy to buy/download a better one...

BTW, yeah my databases are updated as of 28-01-2012!

you don't even need to buy one.  AVG or MSE would both be better, and either is about 30 seconds to download and install. 

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Try COMODO Internet Security. IMHO, it beats all other antivirus/firewall programs I've used. And it's also free.
The downside is that it's a little paranoid, so you have to "teach" it about all programs you want to use. You have to do this only once though.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
sometimes once is enough to royally bork you though.  i had one catch a file in the middle of a patch installer.  it halted the ONE file from being copied, but the installer (sort of) carried on.  the result was some godawful mess of a patch job that left the game in a state where it wouldn't work, and flat out wouldn't run the patch again or its uninstaller (kinda like how the 1.06 patch wouldn't go over ST in FS1 retail).  i don't remember exactly, but the final solution was something like manually delete the install folder and run a registry cleaner to get rid of leftover references, and then reinstall the 10+ GB.  and i didn't even have the install disks with me at school, i had to wait for the next holiday break i went home for.

Offline Crybertrance

sometimes once is enough to royally bork you though.  i had one catch a file in the middle of a patch installer.  it halted the ONE file from being copied, but the installer (sort of) carried on.  the result was some godawful mess of a patch job that left the game in a state where it wouldn't work, and flat out wouldn't run the patch again or its uninstaller (kinda like how the 1.06 patch wouldn't go over ST in FS1 retail).  i don't remember exactly, but the final solution was something like manually delete the install folder and run a registry cleaner to get rid of leftover references, and then reinstall the 10+ GB.  and i didn't even have the install disks with me at school, i had to wait for the next holiday break i went home for.

This has happened to me like 5 times already... Why do they make AV's so ****ty?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
because most review publications rate it on the number of detections, and it hasn't been until very recently that anyone paid attention to false positives.  and slapping a "highest rated" sticker on the box of antivirus does wonders for sales. 

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Microsoft Security Essentials (free, great, I use it)

AVG Free great, I used to use it but switched to MSE when it started getting bloated around version 9.  Not sure, they may have fixed the bloat by now.

I know a lot of people also use Avast! Personal Edition and are happy too.

As always, make sure you uninstall your other Anti-Virus before using these.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i use MSE on my desktop and AVG on my laptop (which is used for more... dubious tasks...  :nervous:)

AVG is still a bit heavier, yes, but it also is a bit more powerful with the link scanner/bad page blocker and whatnot.  i'm not sure i'd call it bloated, other than the little bits of nag trying to get you to buy pro (don't bother with the system scanner or any of that mess).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
They must have fixed the bloat then.  I guess there was a version 10, and now they've switched to using the year, and it's version 2012.0.xxxx   http://www.filehippo.com <-- get yer good here.

Offline Crybertrance

Thanks guys, will try them both. I used to use AVG some 5 years ago, wasn't that good then, will try it out now..

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Just to re-iterate, don't try them both at the same time... ;)

Offline Crybertrance

Just to re-iterate, don't try them both at the same time... ;)

Heh... I know that!( not to toot my own horn, I am a registered comp. tech).  I remember this one dude of mine who had five AVs at once, and worst of all, he set them all to run a boot scan (to clear up all the viruses, he said ;) )

Needless to say that he need a re-format.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:lol: