Author Topic: Freespace Open Trailer  (Read 49752 times)

Offline FSW

My thoughts:

The visuals and the event scripting are impressive, and show off the engine improvements quite successfully.

I'm not so keen on the audio. The music seems inappropriate (both for Freespace and for the depicted events), and the radio chatter is a mess (perhaps intentional, but distracting).

Offline Kolgena

I kinda liked the radio chatter, although it was a little bit of a lolstorm for me since I knew exactly where each of the quotes came from. I'm guessing for someone new to the franchise, it would be a pretty big wad of epic coated in winsauce.

I couldn't hear the music over the rest of the awesome. Guess it wasn't too distracting/out of place for me at least.

Offline Qent

Movie trailers take clips out of context all the time. :P

Offline Spidey-

Well, now that the mission is released, feel free to change it however you like! I'm curious to see what other people's preferences are.

I also noticed part of the nebula is in front of the planet. You can just move the "newplanet1" to the bottom of the background editor list.
Also, I couldn't get the end title images to work across all resolutions, so you'd have to tweak them yourselves for your given resolution--they're under 'titlecut', 'title2', and 'list' at the bottom of the events editor

Offline Kolgena

I was so very disappointed when I heard DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT because it's supposed to be a ****-your-pants/spill-the-coffee moment in-game.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown

I was so very disappointed when I heard DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT because it's supposed to be a ****-your-pants/spill-the-coffee moment in-game.

Then I guess it's not bad that I lol'd a bit when I heard 'EVADE EVADE EVADE, GET OUT OF THERE, GET OUT OF THERE!'

Also, this trailer makes me **** my pants with 'epic' every time I watch it.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The evade line was never used in SP, was it?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
The evade line was never used in SP, was it?

No, I just found it while scouring the VP files one time.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
 :eek2: :yes:
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
...The music seems inappropriate (both for Freespace and for the depicted events)...
I agree it's kinda overused but I felt it fit pretty well.
Care to elaborate? Just curious...

Offline FSW

...The music seems inappropriate (both for Freespace and for the depicted events)...
I agree it's kinda overused but I felt it fit pretty well.
Care to elaborate? Just curious...
I didn't want to spend several paragraphs railing on a minor aspect of Spidey's otherwise-impressive hard work. However, since you asked:

My criticism applies specifically to the battle music. The event depicted is a huge, chaotic space battle, and I feel that the music should feel more exciting and urgent. The music in Spidey's trailer is slow-paced, slow-building, epic, heroic, and triumphant throughout the battle, no matter what is happening on-screen.

For example, I thought that the first exchange of fire between fighters should have coincided with a shift in tone. Also, "we have lost the Phoenicia" is visually depicted as a more significant event than the preceding and following shots, but it occurs without drama, while the music is still building up. The visual and auditory cues are incongruent.

There was one part that did fit: the crescendo right at the end when the Deimos is about to ram the Lucifer. Exciting!

Visual-auditory incongruence can sometimes be a powerful artistic tool, adding poignance if the audience is already emotionally invested. It didn't work in this four-minute tech demo. Also, subjectively, if I close my eyes, the piece just sounds inherently un-space-battle-y.

Offline Spidey-

While I respect your preference in music, I do feel it fits. In fact I was inspired by certain sections and designed the shots around the music.
Your criticism does apply to a some shots, but not all. Let me explain how I laid it out for myself.

0:00-0:28 Violin section, tragic; outpost massacre; 2 key beats aligned with explosions

0:29-0:43 Tonal shift to uptempo, brewing anticipation; allied forces jump in, initial orders; in on first heavy beat, out on drumroll

0:44-1:11 Vocals appear, establishing main theme--> increased excitement (but not heroic, there is a rise and fall that forbodes the coming losses); fighters begin engagement (topdown of wings closing) acts as a visual trasition from brewing to frantic dogfighting--for the most part, the connotation is negative, allied fighters are outmatched, and the measured music (budam chi) fits it.
There were a number of heavy beats that I tried to key the shots to in this section to varying degrees of success, I'll address this later. The bomber shot transitions from dogfighting to capship engagements. The rakshasa blowing is keyed to the crescendo.

1:12-1:40 Full on, dialed-to-eleven epicness; visually we transition to the full scale of the battle with a bang (on the bang). In the first shot we see most of the ships, beams and flak flying everywhere, ****'s blowing up, etc. 1:12 is therefore both the aural and visual climax. The loss of the phoenicia, i don't think is any more or any less significant than the first shot. I think the first shot actually is more dramatic. In any case, the fall of the Phoenicia is keyed(approximately) to a mournful fall in the melody at 1:22 and the following perseus chase at around the rise... okay I just checked the video and I mis-edited that when I was resyncing the audio, it's closer in the actual mission. And as you mentioned, the last three shots lead to the final crescendo. The music is dramatic, but a bit slower. Accordingly the camera moves are smooth and long (actually, i chose this music partly because such cameras and cuts are simpler). The penultimate shot on the cymbals I particularly enjoyed because I didn't expect it to look so good after just placing the ships, usually I'd have to script some behaviour. Anyways, that's that.

So, there are some limitations to FRED. I timed the shots using a modified time-elapsed sequencing (just a time variable that I added the length of each shot to). As such I could only make cuts in full second intervals, unless I fiddled with time compression (too much work for too little gain). Also, the shots ended up needing a minimum of 4 seconds: FSO doesn't look very good with super fast camera moves, that was the amount of time I needed to tell the story in a shot, and I didn't want to do so many shots. These two together make timing a little more difficult.

Subjectively, I do see space battles when I hear pounding orchestral nuggets of music.
While I do understand people's concerns about overuse, I do believe that the music was used appropriately in this case.
Of course, I'm open to suggestions. I don't think anyone has offered any yet for music.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:11:17 pm by Spidey- »

Offline mmm99

dude don't worry about the music it was perfect it built the heart rate up with anticipation and gave me goose bumps  :eek2:when the allies came in then I wet my self when the dogfight began :eek:.
Life is like cheese... I never liked cheese.

Offline Axel Wers

• I remember Descent: FreeSpace as a new game.
    • FreeSpace
Great video :D I am glad that this community exists, because FreeSpace games are my favourite games more than 12 years!

Offline Eolis

I want to help too and there are good and bad thing:
-Seem I don't have desync sound problem with frap (seem)
-I have good FPS and good encoding
-But i have a strange problem with the first sound, it don't play at all  :confused:
-I can use any AA (and i find it better in 32x than in 4x)

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Epic!!

Just include more FS1 ships and fighters (they have better desingns IMHO) and also Vasudans (Hatty!) in version 2.0 :P
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Eolis

I resolve my strange sound issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd1fJJZa_jc

You need to fix the final screen for the 1080p since all icon get cut.

Offline PeterX

• Peter
Respct respect if it´s HD or not HD,it consumed many hard work to rise up :yes: looks phenomenal. :cool:
Peter ;)
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken