Author Topic: Freespace Open Trailer  (Read 49755 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Freespace Open Trailer
Ideally a trailer should showcase the gameplay, instead of showcasing the visuals. When you watch the previous trailer you think "ok that's shiny" but you have absolutely no idea what kind of game this is. Which sort of nullifies the point of a trailer, which is to attract players.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
well, thats the difference between a cinematic trailer and a gameplay trailer :p
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
So you want a story.  Something that will reach into someone's chest and not drag them in (like visuals try to, which may not work), but actually convince them to dive through the picture frame into the waves for love of the story.  So... take parts of the two retail campaigns, the parts that immersed you in the story and had you playing the next mission not for more combat, but to find out what happened next / get revenge / whatever (parts that actually made you feel like a part of the universe) and put them into a sort of movie trailer.  Make the first part just enough to get them interested to enough to watch the whole trailer, (if it needs to be over-long, i.e. more than 3 minutes like a regular movie trailer), then go from there.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
^That's not a trailer, that's spoiler :P

Anyone remember's this? Crappy quality and just cutscenes and anis from the game, but hey it worked and the soundtrack was absolutely perfect.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Umm, no, the same way movie trailers don't contain spoilers, they just contain enough hints to hook you so you want to know the whole story.  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbGNcoB2Y4I
What the hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy says about movie trailers.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Ideally a trailer should showcase the gameplay, instead of showcasing the visuals. When you watch the previous trailer you think "ok that's shiny" but you have absolutely no idea what kind of game this is. Which sort of nullifies the point of a trailer, which is to attract players.

Don't underrestimate the appeal of visuals. In space sims, they're an absolute because they help immersion, which is part of the gameplay experience, at least for me.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Right but story makes it more than an interesting, interactive screensaver. ;)

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
I would argue that you really need more than story. A trailer needs a couple things. So it needs to explain what the piece is about or explain the plot some. equally important it needs to have an attention getter or something to hold the viewers interest; this could be some funny dialogue, an interesting idea, a cool scene, action sequence, or plot revel. It needs to give the viewer a reason to care which might be fulfilled by the attention getter and maybe something to unify the above themes.

Sorry for this, but gonna rag on the FreeSpace Movie trailer to illustrate the point. That trailer was an intriguing idea in how it was put together, but honestly wasn't as good as it could have been. It did nothing to enlighten the viewer to what the game/media was about. If I hadn't played the games, I wouldn't have a clue what it was about. I asked my sister for her summary of what it was about and her response was "Well. . .there are some ships. . ..and they're doing. . ..stuff". That pretty much all I got out of it as well. The trailer also lacked a full scale attention getter. The music served very very well as a unifying theme and partly as an attention getter, but after about 50 seconds in I'd lost interest because nothing was happening and the song couldn't keep me occupied that long. What would have alleviated both major issues in my opinion was some sequences of actually flying and shooting and explosions and fighting the shivans after the 35-40 second mark. Alternate between the action sequence and the solemn view of the iceni moving and Bosch's solemn viewing of whatever and portray that as a reflection on the war. Have the flying and shooting sequences mute so that the only sound is still twinkle twinkle little star, and try and illustrate a struggle against the shivans where humanity clearly isn't winning to fir the dark tone of the music.

Now to bring this back to the relevance of Spidey's Awesome Trailer and the elements in it. ok what does this trailer tell us? Its about space ships and a war.  humans are being attacked by evil looking ships and they are losing (i.e. all the stuff blowing up that isn't evil looking). the humans respond and put up a fight, but the outcome is uncertain though it looks slightly grimm with the deimos making a suicide run on the super big evil ship at the end. Now attention getter. that comes out right at the start as the tension is ratcheted up by the frantic sounding pilot as he freaks about about something. the shivans pop in, lots of cool explosions and dialogue that fits well with the scene. Basically Spidey's trailer hold the attention. now as a reason to care, there was an explenation at the start to "say freespace was a game in ...xxxxx""....dedicated modding community has worked on it since.. ...xxxxx".... and then you have the end with the "come see what you have been missing" bit encourage viewers to come visit the website.

tl;dr = spidey has an awesome trailer with all elements needed to make a good trailer

p.s. to the maker of the Freespace move trailer, sorry about picking apart your work and hating on it. I think It was actually really cool, and I know that I could not make a better trailer myself.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
p.s. to the maker of the Freespace move trailer, sorry about picking apart your work and hating on it. I think It was actually really cool, and I know that I could not make a better trailer myself.

There's no reason to contradict yourself just to be nice... You may not have the technical skills to make a trailer, but you clearly have an idea of the elements a trailer requires in order to be a successful piece of advertising.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Beskargam

I'm not doing it just  to be nice. I honestly think that it is an interesting piece of work, and that it would have been fun to work on.  The concept for using twinkle twinkle was both brilliant and fit well with the the bosch and Icene scenes

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah.. until you hear the same verse/chorus again for the 4th time. The only reason that video is interesting, is because we know the context of the scenes.

Without that context it is, at best, a mood setting sci-fi montage.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Eh, what I was getting at is graphics without story = nice, juicy hamburger with all of the fixings except.. the beef patty :wtf: .  Whereas, story without graphics = plain beef patty on a bun.  :blah:

Offline Beskargam

Yeah.. until you hear the same verse/chorus again for the 4th time. The only reason that video is interesting, is because we know the context of the scenes.

Without that context it is, at best, a mood setting sci-fi montage.

I uh actually hadn't paid that much attention to the repetition/sameness, but Music in general always fades into the background for me. also who originally created that trailer? seeing as how work dried up and I have to much time on my hands till uni starts again, I kinda want to play around with it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I always quite liked this as a more action oriented trailer.

Choose a few more clips where you can hear people speaking and you'd give a good sense of the story too.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I like that one too, however, it makes it look like (to new players) FS is hopelessly complicated, with everything spinning around, blowing up, words flying across the screen, and target indicators switching, lock indicators flashing and beeping, and gauges all over the screen.  So they end up thinking "cool!... I'd never be able to do that!"  At least that's what I worry about.

Offline Beskargam

kinda derail, but what other memorable trailers have their been over the years?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I like that one too, however, it makes it look like (to new players) FS is hopelessly complicated, with everything spinning around, blowing up, words flying across the screen, and target indicators switching, lock indicators flashing and beeping, and gauges all over the screen.  So they end up thinking "cool!... I'd never be able to do that!"  At least that's what I worry about.
Wut.

All that trailer shows is the player flying between cool explosions and beams. What is even remotely looking complicated in that.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
That's not complicated.  Trying to accomplish something whilst doing so would be, though, and usually you have some sort of mission to complete.  However, considering most FPS games have a ton of action going on while you are completing a mission, I suppose it's not a real issue at all.