Author Topic: Freespace Open Trailer  (Read 49759 times)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Re: Freespace Open Trailer
I'm sitting at my i7-920, GTX285 rig with 6GB of RAM and a brand new 1080p monitor I got for Christmas.  :D  If you give me the mission file, a link to a FRAPS-equivalent program, and some directions, I might be able to encode it for you.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Comm chatter sounds a little messy. Maybe create static and lower the volume of fighter pilot comms?
Otherwise very awesome trailer! Battlegroup jumping in gave me shivers... :yes:
I definitely making one with Vasudan assets. :nod:

BTW, we need to get everyone of Hard-Light to watch it and like it on Youtube.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Actually, the com chatter was the part that I liked. But I think I know what you're getting at here, and I think the addition of static in very sparse amounts might be alright, but I don't think the audio would be too audible if turned down in addition to static.

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
I did tear up a bit when I first watched it from the sheer awesome this is.

But I'm also a big pansy, it seems. Great work, Spidey-!
Signed, me

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The camera movements are great, and I thought the scene was pretty well thought out. The comms chatter was nice; it makes the atmosphere all the more realistic and convincing. The music is ... what can I say? It's as fitting as it gets.

However, I have only one complaint, although that's not so much of a complaint as it is a comment considering that you were inspired by BP2: I do not see any Vasudan ships.

The Vasudans play an integral part in FreeSpace as much as the Terrans and Shivans do. Both the Thoth and Hatshepsut have already been overhauled with normal maps and, given the scale of the furball in the video, were probably ideal as deployments. As much as I like this video for so many reasons, the fact that there are no Vasudans in it (as far as I can tell) and that it was uploaded as a trailer of FS2_Open is something I just cannot ignore, and which I think is the only thing that gives this video a mark or two down.

Overall, it is a good video, and I cannot claim that I can do any better (not even my screenshots can match up; I cannot say more for a moving picture), but it is missing one important element if is to be titled appropriately. That element is the Vasudans.

That, at least, is my take on it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:20:29 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Admins, grant this man a appropriate title..something like "Lord of Cutscenes"

His work is ..GLORIOUS. Seriously, you need to hire yourself out to mod pojects.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Way to guarantee he won't get a custom title. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kie99

That really is exceptional, great use of audio.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The video's been promoted on ModDB, too. I think it'd be nice to upload it there instead of creating news with the link to the video on it. Just a suggestion.

About the relative lack of Vasudans, I have to agree with Androgeos.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Admins, grant this man a appropriate title..something like "Lord of Cutscenes"

His work is ..GLORIOUS. Seriously, you need to hire yourself out to mod pojects.

Mjn already has "Cutscene Master".
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
What about Cutscene Apprentice, then?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Nah, leave it to the admins. If they think he deserves a nice title, he will get it without us noticing.

I've linked the video to the Facebook wall. Darius and Dekker have seen it as well.
My blog

MP-Ryan

I'm being a nitpicker here and saying that there were no Herc 2s at Riviera, no Hecates, no Rakshasas, etc...

But the trailer is teh epix!

EDIT: I updated the FSOpen wikipedia article with a link to this trailer at the bottom. I called it a fan-made trailer, though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:35:02 pm by Inglonias »
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
That's what it is, a fan-made trailer. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What about Cutscene Apprentice, then?

Cutscenator?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Before I say anything, that was awesome!  :D

While I sat and watched this amazing coordinated piece of holy epicness, one thought came to mind. What if, when the shivans have jumped in and nearly obliterated everything into spacedust, and all hope seems to be lost for the humans, a huge fleet of vesudan warships jumps in, engaging the cluster of shivan ships before they have the oppertunity to destroy the surviving human forces. The engagement unfolds into a breathtaking battle.
The human defences should be a bit stronger in this event of course, just to introduce watchers to the Terrans as well. 

Don't get me wrong, the video was EPIC!  :)   
I just saw this as an option to include the Vesudans in the vid.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:42:55 pm by Shug Pheri »
Wild Reapers appeared. Commander Shepard used intimidating eye contact...It´s SUPER EFFECTIVE! Wild Reapers fled the galaxy.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Way to go, Spidey! I've personally been hoping for an epic PR trailer for FSO for some time- you've certainly hit the ball out of the park!  :yes:
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
That Lilith scared the **** outta all ships in the area and forced them to flee, that's why it's the only one left in the ending :p.

That was, seriously, the best FreeSpace cutscene I've seen so far, it outranks any other from both fanon and canon, and...I think that requires more skill to make than a BoE mission.

Still, it gives us a perfect example of how making cutscenes out of the game can produce total awesomeness.

Say, maybe we could create an entire movie by stacking 'em up.

P.S. how long did it take you to make that?

I think I'll make my own.  :drevil:
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
That was really really good. Great job! :yes:

It was also fun trying to spot and recognize the wav files :D
Habeeb it...

Offline Spidey-

I think all the people complaining about canon vs. fanon...seriously, is it a good TRAILER? People who see this will either A) have no appreciation of Freespace and think "wow, this is awesome, let me try this", or B) think "hey, that's not how it happened but this is cool anyway".

Thanks man, you got it exactly. When I thought this up, it was a sort've homage/what-if situation and something for people who've never seen FS before. I really liked the intensity of the original intro and wanted to play off of that. I used FS2 ships simply because they look better (I actually like the Hecate over Orion but Typhon over Hatty, though they all look great with the Upgrade Project).
Anyways you don't want to hear about all the little design decisions I made. What you really want to hear is that I'll be releasing the mod by the end of the week so you can all play around with it to your heart's content :D

Cheers!